Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Morning person or night person?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Morning person or night person?

They, whom ever they are, say that some people are night people and some people are morning people. Personally I am more of a night person, but I still wake up naturally at 5am... I just have more energy to do stuff at night.

What about you? Morning or night person?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Morning - without an alarm clock.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Are we twins separated at birth?
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Morning, without an alarm clock, but I often get a burst of energy between 9 and 9:30 at night. I think that's from working second shift many, many years ago, and that was the beginning of "count down to quitting time".

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Ditto.

It's Saturday, and like any Saturday I was up at 5:30 and on my morning walking rounds of about 6 miles and home in time before anybody else is even stirring. I will do the same on Sunday but the walk is a run.

I just seem to get so much more accomplished before noon. I loved it when I had Mondays off of work (and then later switched to Fridays off) because there was really nothing in my way to getting things accomplished on those mornings.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Up until maybe a year ago I would have easily said morning. Now I am neither. I want to go to bed early and get up late....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Morning person. No question.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Naturally a night person, who's adjusted over the years between working and now hitched to an anal morning person (I'm still trying to understand his compulsion to wake me at 5:45 a.m. on July 4th to tell me the a/c was on the fritz again...)

When RJ's out of town, I find myself staying up later and later.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Ditto.

It's Saturday, and like any Saturday I was up at 5:30 ......
    You are wasting an hour to an hour and a half every day. I'm up between 4:00 and 4:30 each morning...weekdays and weekends notwithstanding how much I drank the night before.

What are you gonna do?

I will ignore the "anal morning person" comment.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    You are wasting an hour to an hour and a half every day. I'm up between 4:00 and 4:30 each morning...weekdays and weekends notwithstanding how much I drank the night before.
    You are wasting good sleeping time! Nothing is even open at 4:30 a.m. Oh, wait a minute. I should get you to go to Wal-Mart when I need something, the checkout lines are probably really short at 4:30. Brilliant! Thanks, RJ!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Sometimes there are not enough hours in the day to get everything done so I'm both a morning and an evening person.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I'm more of a night person. I will often stay late at work because I'll get a burst of energy in the late afternoon/early evening.

I think the combination of college as well as working third-shift for about six months after college helped contribute to this pattern. When I worked third-shift, the 3pm-10pm hour was my downtime/awake-at-home hour, the 10pm-7am timeslot was when I worked, and the 8am-3pm timeslot was when I slept.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Morning. No alarm clock needed. 10:30 a.m. is peak energy time, it's all downhill after that. Unfortunately, the wife's day only starts about then.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Naturally a night person, who's adjusted over the years between working and now hitched to an anal morning person (I'm still trying to understand his compulsion to wake me at 5:45 a.m. on July 4th to tell me the a/c was on the fritz again...)

Ditto!

Hubby is up no later than 5:30 every day, usually earlier, regardless of day of the week. If he's not awake by then, he's sick and should be taken to the emergency room.

I am a night person. I prefer to clean, do household chores, etc in the evenings. Mornings, especially on weekends, are for sleeping in! When hubby's traveling, I'm up really late, sleep in and also complain a lot more about having to go to work in the morning.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post

Me too. I like to go to sleep no earlier than 11pm, frequently midnight or 1am. I am not a morning person at all. The day should start no earlier than 10am. Thankfully I don't have to be at the office until 9:30 and I usually putz around until my caffeine has kicked in. RT is also a night person. The baby and my partner are crack of down rooster types who sleep at 9pm. Guess who gets up with the baby in the morning? It ain't me!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I am the morning person. Mrs. P is NOT a morning person. I am her alarm clock.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2005
    I am definitely a night person.

However, when I do wake up early, I am usually still a pretty happy guy. I'm not one of those cranky morning people.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    My natural tendency is to 'do more' and increase the amount of time I spend engaging in various activities. This must come at the expense of something, so sleep is usually the first thing to go. So I guess I'm a night person by nature, but am also a 'zero to 60' type in the morning (but can certainly be cranky while 'going 60')
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I'm very much a night person.

I guess I like staying up late because I view at as being a time where I don't have to do anything or be bothered with business.

Registered
    May 2005
    Nigh tperson here. Like many here, I find the late night hours to be one of the only times I get to be alone with my own thoughts. Which I often feel I need in order to process the day. I'm also fairly cranky in the morning, thought I try my best not to be too annoying to the rest of the family. My wife is very much a morning person. She keeps telling me how great it is and how I should get up earler with her, but its just so hard to turn off the day sometimes. I need some me time to close out to books, so to speak.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I'm normally up and 6 am and finally crash between 11:30 and midnight. However, I'm on autopilot until about 9 am
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jun 2010
    Hello! I'm night City Planner

ps. how can insert my signature adn avatar ... I search in forum, but I don't find answer... thanks!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. New person here
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Mar 2011, 3:23 PM
  2. Celebrities you have seen in person
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 40
    Last post: 28 Oct 2008, 1:09 PM
  3. One up the last person.
    Friday Afternoon Club