Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are you a gamer or have a game system in your house?

Registered
    Apr 2003

Are you a gamer or have a game system in your house?

The concept of computer gams was mentioned in another thread and it hit a sore spot for me because I personally do not like 95% of the games out there and I think they are a waste of time and money. I do however think that there are a few educational games out there but they are few and far between. I even block every game request that comes to me in Facebook so if someone else sends me that game, it will not even show up.

But that is just me. What are your thoughts? Are you a gamer? Do you or your kids have video game in your house? Is it a game system or just computer games?
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    The concept of computer gams was mentioned in another thread and it hit a sore spot for me because I personally do not like 95% of the games out there and I think they are a waste of time and money. I do however think that there are a few educational games out there but they are few and far between. I even block every game request that comes to me in Facebook so if someone else sends me that game, it will not even show up.

But that is just me. What are your thoughts? Are you a gamer? Do you or your kids have video game in your house? Is it a game system or just computer games?
    I'm not a fan of video games, especially when kids (or adults) spend a majority of their time playing them. All we have in my house is an Xbox Kinect, and about five games - a few dance ones, wipeout, adventure something or other, and a workout one. So most are mindless entertainment, but at least require physical effort.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I was once a gamer like you; then I took an arrow in the knee.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I love video games. Computer games, wii games, or Playstation. I don't play them much anymore, but I will on vacation get some time on them while the wife sits out in the sun.

Personally I like:

-City builders (preaching to the choir I'm sure) like Sim City, Stronghold, and the Anno series
    -Strategy and Sports Games like Final Fantasy, NCAA Football, FIFA Soccer, and Mario Kart
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Does playing the canned/packaged games in windows count ?

Guilty of playing freecell and spider solitaire.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    I'm game, but I'm not some super gamer. At least not compared some friends of mine. One of them even has a GAEMS case and its basically a hard shell case with a small hd tv and a place to lay any game system in it. He has a lot of downtime at work and so he plays in the breakroom for ~3-4hrs a day, using the hospital's wifi. Goes home between errands and games, then after work goes to his gf's place where he has a gaming computers an a few game systems, or to his place where he has a monstrous gaming computer and another set of game systems.

I've been hooked since my brother bought me a SNES for my 7th birthday. Then I had a PS1, PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, and I just bought myself a Wii on Friday. I probably play ~2hrs a day. I plat mostly RPGs and Sports games, although I picked up the Wii so I could satisfy my desire to play Mario games again. My computer is also modified to be a decent gaming computer, but its not all that. It almost a waste too because I feel really awkward gaming on the pc it's just not the same as a TV to me.

So yes, I'm a gamer.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I am guilty of three:

1. I play Blazing Angels on the Wii with my 9 year old.
    2. I play a great old PC game called "Politico" where you run a Caribbean island as the dictator. (it's pure awesome)
    3. I play a hell of a lot of Killer Bean Unleashed on my new phone.

These are my sins, and I'm confessing them to you, Cyburbia. I can stop any time I want.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    I am guilty of three:

2. I play a great old PC game called "Politico" where you run a Caribbean island as the dictator. (it's pure awesome)
    I believe you are referring to 'Tropico'. I play that one too. Other faves include the Civilization and Sim City games
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2005
    The only “current” system we have is a PS3 and the only game for it we have is Rock Band. We got it 3 years ago but then it had to sit in storage for the past 2.5 years. Got it back out a month ago and have been playing the drums 30-45 minutes a night, I really enjoy it but my son enjoys watching just as much and asks me to start playing when we get home, so I don’t feel too guilty.

Other than that we have a Game Cube that’s pretty dusty, just gets used for Mario Kart a few times a year.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I believe you are referring to 'Tropico'. I play that one too. Other faves include the Civilization and Sim City games
    The original. Tropico 2 is horrible. I agree with Civilization as well. My wife got me CV after Christmas... it was quite enjoyable.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2005
    I play quite a bit of games, although rarely the latest and greatest. PCs only, consoles are the devil.

I played a ton of Civ, Sim City, Harpoon, Pirates, and other great games in the '80s and 90's, sometimes semi-obsessively. I'm still convinced that getting games like Gunship and F19 to run on a C64 reflects skill at programming that has sadly been lost. Could you image how cool games would be now if they had the same density of information/fun that was packed into that 64kb of memory?

I've been playing a tactical WWII game called Combat Mission since 1999 (similar to Squad Leader for any old board gamers out there). I've been part of a gaming group for it since 2001 and have made many friends from across the globe through play-by-email games. We have also done campaign games where the strategy is managed like a board game (e.g. a Battle of the Bulge campaign), but the battles are decided by playing CM and then tracking the results.

Played a ton of flight sims over the years, with everything in the last 10 years being IL2. It's very easy to get into huge online dogfights which have had some amazing moments. Getting shot up and pursued low-level through factory smokestacks, running for home while your friends try to save you.

Played a lot of Mount & Blade, a medieval combat game. It has a good single player mode, and then online play as well.

Played a lot this year on a strategy game called Hearts of Iron 3. It is a WWII strategy game where you can control any country and do whatever you like. Mexico join the Axis and invade in 1942, sure! Try as Germany to build aircraft carriers while keeping the US out of the war by influencing the 1940 election (go Lindbergh).

Lately it has been the DayZ mod for the shooter Arma2. The engine is a bit clunky but the mod is excellent, if still in the early stages. Fight zombies and other players for loot, very spooky and tough decisions to help or hurt other humans. I very rarely play shooters online, since I suck at them. It is very frustrating to be killed at a distance by an enemy which may be only a single pixel on the screen, or may not be visible at all. So my online gaming is in flight sims or Mount & Blade where enemies have to be at least at a medium distance to get you. You'll still die to MG fire or an arrow in the face but at least you'll see it coming. In DayZ I can avoid other human players so the danger isn't too bad.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    No gaming system. Never have had one in the house, never will. Too many of my friends and too many of their kids have traveled down the gaming path of no return. RT and I have a few games we play on the iPhones but they are mostly logic or puzzle type games.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Fan-made trailer for DayZ using dialogue from other zombie media (NSFW language): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofyR71JV-TY

Note you enter the world with just a flashlight, no weapons until you find some. So the average lifespan is ~35 minutes and if some jerks are around it looks like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mZRzSEu5d8

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Not a gamer but I do have an Atari VCS with controllers.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Atari VCS.jpeg
Views:	0
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	4953
    Space Invaders anyone?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jul 2005
    My mom threw away my Intellivision a few years ago
    I guess I can't really say I've never seriously played a console.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    We have a Wii at the house and played bowling, tennis, mario kart, Wii Fit and dance. There are a few games on the phone I play to kill time waiting for meetings and such like bedazzled, tetris, angry birds and spider.

Growing up we had the original Atari Pong. I always beat my older brothers on that.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I have a Wii...use it for the balance games on the Wii Fit Plus. It was recommended as rehab exercises for my messed up inner ear by my physical therapist...I doubt I would have any sort of gaming system otherwise.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Have a Wii in the house.

Games are mostly for the kids, but I do enjoy the Wii Sports games and playing Mario Kart with the kids. Also enjoy playing the guitar hero games or the Lego Star Wars games every once in a while. Only other game that I play on occasion is You Don't Know Jack.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Mar 2007
    We have a Wii and when we still had a NetFlix subscription, we used it more for movies than games. We only have about 5 or 6 games, all of which are very family appropriate, and we still break it out every so often. It's also a good distraction for when my nephews are over or other visitors with pre-teen or teen children who don't want to sit with us and talk about whatever it is us boring adults are blathering on about.

I really like first person shooter games, but they aren't so good on the Wii so I sort of want to get an Xbox 360 for them. I've been saying that for about 4 years though and never bother following through. I keep looking for a used one but never bother pulling the trigger.

I used to really enjoy computer games but haven't really played one in a long time - Diablo stole a lot of my time back in 2003 and 2004. I am however waiting patiently for the next iteration of Sim City.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I can get addicted to Mario Kart on our Wii with our 7 year old but that's about it

I also play way too much solitaire on my phone at home (living solo during the week makes you a spinster)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Never had a system to hook up to the TV. I have had games for the computer like SIM City or Tetris.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2005
    I've always had a gaming system in the house, going back to the Atari 2600.

I played a crapload of games up until I turned 21ish. After that, I just didn't have the time to devote to gaming. I'm the type where if I don't go all in, I don't go at all. It's one of the reasons I don't play fantasy sports. If I did, it would consume my life, and I would probably end up divorced. We do have a Wii, and I will occassionaly play with the girls. But even with that, we severely limit how much they get to use it.

I honestly don't see how grown adults with jobs and families have time to devote to gaming.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I think this is somewhat generational. Most guys 35 and under have been a gamer at some point in their lives. I was a hardcore gamer when I was a kid during the 80s and teenager during the 90s. First I had Atari 2600, then NES, then SNES. I then moved on to computer gaming and was into flight simulations (Falcon 3.0 & 4.0), real time strategy games, etc. I remember how much of a pain in the ass online gaming was back when we were all using dial-up connections. I gave up all gaming for over a decade following high school, college, and entering the working world, but just got back into it this year when a buddy of mine gave me his decade old Playstation 2 that was gathering dust. Now, I've got a ton of games to catch up on.

My favorite game of all time is probably X-Wing by LucasArts. The zenith of PC gaming back in the 90s, IMO.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by MacheteJames View post
    I think this is somewhat generational. Most guys 35 and under have been a gamer at some point in their lives.
    I agree with this statement, even though I skew slightly older than 35.

Growing up, we had at various times: Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Nintendo NES, Sega Genesis. In my "adult" years, I've had an original Xbox and the Wii.

I was primarily a sports gamer growing up. Have always been a fan of the Madden series, and any of the various baseball games (my favorite is still Baseball Stars for the NES).
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by MacheteJames View post
    I think this is somewhat generational. Most guys 35 and under have been a gamer at some point in their lives.
    Good observation. I wonder why guy gamers are so numerous and gal gamers so uncommon?

Would anyone say there is more or less stigma associated with being considered a 'gamer' now than say 20 years ago?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 09 Oct 2010, 2:08 AM
  2. Replies: 37
    Last post: 26 Sep 2003, 2:59 AM
  3. The House Game!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 23 Apr 2002, 1:57 AM
  4. The rating system