Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Ants!

Registered
    Feb 2004

Ants!

I've had ants (little brown ants, not carpenter which we dealt with previously) in my house the last five days and it's driving me nuts. I bout a bunch of those Raid and DCon ant traps about three days ago and placed them along the ants 'path' to the kitchen, but it looks like the ants are going out of their way to ignore them (one of the traps has 'dual bait' apparently neither works). It seems their numbers have not diminished at all and Mrs. Maister wants to call the exterminator but that would be admitting defeat in my book and truly a Last Resort.

What should I do to get rid of these darned ants?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    What should I do to get rid of these darned ants?
    One word: Anteater

Click image for larger version

Name:	anteater-4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	4956
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Given their history as uninvited guests at picnics, you might loudly announce and plan a picnic in the back yard. When they are all gathered outside for the feast, RAID!
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    One word: Anteater

Attachment 4956
    I already inquired with our local anteater, but he claimed he didn't own a single light sabre, much less two.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Windex or 409 work really well to decimate a trail of ants marching to the trashcan, plus it leaves the kitchen smelling clean. This won’t kill the nest, though. In the past I’ve been able to plug up the holes where they come in, but I think I got pretty lucky (I could see them marching in from outside). What about cornmeal? Supposedly they'll eat it, then when they drink water after eating it expands in their stomachs and kills them (poor ants, but at least it's non-toxic).

Wait till you tangle with fire ants. You only do that once
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I have used cornmeal before. They bring it back to their nest, eat it, and go pop.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    Had an ant issue at my gf's place recently. I have a soft spot in my heart for ants so I tried something unorthodox.

I put out a tray near where they were coming in with wet sugar. They came in droves until they tapped in out in a couple of hours. Afterwards they stopped coming through the hole. I plugged up the hole on the inside and out and now no more ants.

I wouldn't recommend this, but just sharing the story.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I'll trade you your ants for my roly poly/pillbug problem. They don't really do any harm but once they get inside, they dry out and curl up into little dead balls of yuckness.

Clearing out a lot of the mulch and organic material that is right next to the foundation really helped cut down on the problem in the past... I need to do it again. Maybe the ants are nesting in similar spots by your house?
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ddomin4360 View post
    Had an ant issue at my gf's place recently. I have a soft spot in my heart for ants so I tried something unorthodox.

I put out a tray near where they were coming in with wet sugar. They came in droves until they tapped in out in a couple of hours. Afterwards they stopped coming through the hole. I plugged up the hole on the inside and out and now no more ants.

I wouldn't recommend this, but just sharing the story.
    That's a good idea, I was wondering if putting some sort of water outside for them would deter them from coming in.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I haven't had any luck with store bought methods, as my ants are not little guys... they a fair bit bigger (I live in a field). I will have to try this cornmeal stuff. I am happy to see them go pop (says the cold-hearted ant killing machine).
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Ants make no small plans.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 15 Mar 2011, 3:47 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 09 Dec 2008, 11:53 AM