Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Questions to ask interviewer

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2011

Questions to ask interviewer

I've got a job interview tomorrow (for Transportation Planner at an MPO), and I'm looking for guidance on questions to ask during the interview. Whenever I'm in an interview, even when I think it's going well, I always clam up when it gets to the point where the interviewer says, "So do you have any questions for us?" In the past I've usually gone with questions about training/professional development opportunities, and I usually ask what their vision is for the position. After that I always draw a blank. I've got about 4 years experience as a planner since finishing grad school, if that matters. Any advice would be appreciated!

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

and good luck!

I wish this was in the FAC so I could have some fun with it, but seriously -

ask them about the MPO's board of directors (or chief elected officials, whatever the charter is, and if you don't know, ask for them to explain the charter, though you may want to read this on your own first) - do they work well with staff? if asked to explain your question, ask their commitment to regional planning, do they respect the recommendations from staff, what are the funding issues - you basically are trying to fish out the crazy quotient

if it's a large staff, ask about the communication strategy within the organization - how often are staff meetings, and who goes - how are projects assigned (get a little knowledge from their website on a recent project and ask how that is managed internally)

do NOT ask about training and money/ benefits or room to grow within the organization - that's the second interview btw - right now they are seeing if you are knowledgeable in your field and if you are a good fit

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Ask them if you have to take a drug test.

Ask them if they hire convicted felons.

KIDDING!!! Don't ask stuff like that!!!

Asking about how the MPO is structured is a good idea. This can vary quite a bit depending upon local history. I would try to find out something about the MPO prior to the interview as well so you can work that in.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; 23 Jul 2012 at 4:49 PM.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jan 2005
    The goal is to get me to understand that you get it. Ask questions that relate to the job itself, the community, and things that have happened recently. If you can show that you did your homework about the job, it looks a lot better.

So let's say a great project just got funded, you can say, "I saw XYZ was funded congratulations. How do you think that will affect the MPO?"

Relate to the job. Relate to the community. Relate to the people.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2011
    Thank you all for the advice. This will really help me.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 291
    Last post: 01 Aug 2011, 9:17 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 07 Jan 2008, 7:54 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 11 Aug 2006, 12:26 PM
  4. TEA-21: two questions
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Dec 2004, 1:24 PM