Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: When matters come to fisticuffs

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Yep, that's me, but only verbal, never gotten into "fisticuffs".
    The problem between the two is that only in the latter do people really know when they've had their ass kicked.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Never engaged in fisticuffs which is good since most people over the age of 7 can kick my %ss. My average sized 12 year old daughter is already catching up to my weight.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    The problem between the two is that only in the latter do people really know when they've had their ass kicked.
    I can't kick anyone's ass, I'm the size of maybe an average 10 year old!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    I'm thinking the guys in that video have never actually been in a fight before.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I'm thinking the guys in that video have never actually been in a fight before.
    Did you read the people's comments?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Did you read the people's comments?
    I love how the guy talks about breaking out weapons and shit.. "don't break your knuckles because then you won't have the ability to use your alternative weapons"

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    I love how the guy talks about breaking out weapons and shit.. "don't break your knuckles because then you won't have the ability to use your alternative weapons"
    Your hands should be your alternative weapons in a street fight. Hit em first with whatever you can grab hold of that keeps you farther away from their hands. I always think back to Indiana Jones street fight with the guy with the impressive sword skills.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Your hands should be your alternative weapons in a street fight. Hit em first with whatever you can grab hold of that keeps you farther away from their hands. I always think back to Indiana Jones street fight with the guy with the impressive sword skills.
    How about just putting up your dukes and fighting like man? Guy was talking about pulling out a knife- that's assault and possibly attempted murder..

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I believe it's only assault if you start it. When I see guys putting up their dukes and circling like the Marquis of Queensbury is judging, they're not streetfighters.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I can honestly say that I've never gotten into a physical fight or hit someone with the intention of harming them.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2005
    How much can you know about yourself, you've never been in a fight? I don't wanna die without any scars.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I can't kick anyone's ass, I'm the size of maybe an average 10 year old!
    You missed my point.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    You missed my point.
    No, I didn't. I just didn't mention it. I actually have a high IQ and can understand a lot of comments.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    No, I didn't. I just didn't mention it. I actually have a high IQ and can understand a lot of comments.
    So you quoted me, ignored the gist of what I said, and made a totally unrelated reply. Got it...

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Outside of Mastiff, I'm thinking... you all couldn't fight your way out of a wet paper bag combined!

The planners I have met so far, fight about as well as they party. One slug and their done! Pathetic really.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia View post
    Outside of Mastiff, I'm thinking... you all couldn't fight your way out of a wet paper bag combined!

The planners I have met so far, fight about as well as they party. One slug and their done! Pathetic really.
    On that point, I would beg to differ. We have several former members of the military here. Further, tho I do not chose to fight, I am the son of a cop and was involved in the martial arts for a while. I've hit plenty of people, just not in the context of a fight. By the same token, I can handle a gun pretty well, tho I don't own one.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I don't think you want to square up with me brother..

Registered
    Jul 2006

If you're as openly confrontational in person as you are here, I suspect yours has been kicked numerous times.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    If you're as openly confrontational in person as you are here, I suspect yours has been kicked numerous times.

HA HA HA!

I knew there had to be some others lurking out there when I read this thread!

My records not perfect, but I got a better than even shot of coming out on top to this day. In fact "winning has never been the problem. Its the next two days that suck!

Ofos, it would depend on what you mean by openly confrontational. Didn't I meet you at the Minesota National APA one night? I have never been a wall flower, why would I be one online? I was never fast enough to run away, so I litterally became a tank. In fact, ended up being a tank crewman. I wonder if there is any connection?

There is a price to pay for way to many fights. The adrenalin just ain't worth it. Way to many stories. I still maintain that the majority of planners drink like they fight!

I have great respect for the fellows facing the Assad regime in Syria right now. They are still fighting what is a more than likely an unsuccessful attempt to overthrow a brutal regime. It does not matter that they are Muslim. When the bullets get close the adrenaline will spike. They will do things that any sane person being rational would refuse. I hope they have what it takes to win. I don't envy them and I don't miss the trauma to the body. I do miss the adrenaline, the singing in the ears.

To the Tune of "Free Four", Pink Floyd

The memories of a man in his old age,
    Are the deeds of a man in his prime,

Registered
    Sep 1999
    So you quoted me, ignored the gist of what I said, and made a totally unrelated reply. Got it...
    I won't apologize for the almost entirely mid-west centered Cyb view and their distaste for the South which I will vigorously defend any day. We disagree. What, are you trying to push me into a confrontation?

Geez, Dan, if I'm that bad, just excise me like a bad tumor like I was never here. Nobody from the South will ever be able to stand up against the patriots from the rust belt, crunchy areas, LONK island, etc.
    Last edited by Zoning Goddess; 07 Aug 2012 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Some of the mods are asses

Registered
    Dec 2010
    So is it ironic, natural, or just a coincidence that a thread about fisticuffs would lead to confrontations?
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by HomerJ View post
    So is it ironic, natural, or just a coincidence that a thread about fisticuffs would lead to confrontations?
    The real idea is to keep confrontation to a dull roar. Confrontation is natural and should be expected. This in fact, is just a part of being human. The human condition is such that only a fool starts a fight, even on a small scale. On any scale for that matter. There is no sure answer as to how a physical confrontation will end. Besides, limiting confrontation to nonphysical means creates a boat load of jobs and lifts the economy!

It is entertaining to watch fools fight. You just have to take care they don't spill your beer!

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I believe it's only assault if you start it. When I see guys putting up their dukes and circling like the Marquis of Queensbury is judging, they're not streetfighters.
    It depends on the situation and the outcome. If you are attacked and continue to beat someone after they lose the ability to fight back then you will be charged with assault with the possibility greater charges depending on what happens to your attacker unless you can prove that your life was in danger.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I won't apologize for the almost entirely mid-west centered Cyb view and their distaste for the South which I will vigorously defend any day. We disagree. What, are you trying to push me into a confrontation?
    First, there are planners here from the south, including one who got his education in the south... namely, me. When someone illegitimately degrades where I lived, went to school, raised kids, and worked for years, I'll argue if it's necessary. The two words in that last sentence are the only reason we disagree, because not all slights are true, and not everything is worth defending.

If someone says Arkansas is 49th in education and that's lousy, what defense is there? It's true. Conversely, if someone were to make a blanket statement that everyone from the state was an idiot, I'd point out a two term POTUS and some little companies like Wal-Mart, Tyson Chicken, JB Hunt, and the millions they've made.

Your problem isn't that you defend the south, or Florida, or the town where you live. It's that you will perceive a slight where one may not exist simply because someone is discussing a region. I've seen you do it. I saw you do it twice last week. So when you vigorously defend against an non-existent attack, it's akin to Don Quixote tilting at a windmill. If I'm to be classified as an "ass" by you for pointing this out, so be it.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Greeting card matters
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 03 Aug 2010, 11:20 PM