Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: MIT DUSP: PhD in Urban Information Systems

MIT DUSP: PhD in Urban Information Systems

Hello All!

I am a dual degree (B.Tech, MS by Research) student in India majoring in Computer Science and Engineering. The reason I am writing to you all is because I have been admitted to MIT DUSP for a PhD in Urban Information Systems. However, I am not being provided with any financial aid for the same. The department has told me that in order to secure admission, I need to arrange financial support for a minimum of two years (estimated at $130k) and also develop a realistic plan for the subsequent years. The reason provided for this was that students find it extremely difficult to secure any assistant-ships once they are at MIT. Being my dream destination, I have accepted the offer, but my chances of making it there seem slim.

There are many questions I want to ask you. First and foremost, are the concerns that my family, particularly my parents have - even if we somehow manage to gather the huge amount through loans, is it worth the risk? By worth, they mean the career prospects after graduating from UIS. Even though it is a degree provided by the best institution in the world, they are a bit skeptical putting both their feet in the water. As far as I am concerned, UIS is the best program for me given my background in Computer Science and research in Spatial Informatics, and given my research standing, I feel motivated enough to make a worthwhile contribution to the field through this program, the only bottleneck being the funding. The point being, after putting in 5-6 years of hard work, what are the career prospects in terms of remuneration and growth? Would it be comparable to the income people manage to get in the CS field? The reason I am asking this question is, if I follow my interest and go for it, I will be heavily burdened with loans by the time I graduate. So if I am going ahead with the PhD program, I need to be sure about the returns in the future. On the other hand, the natural, and safe option that I have in hand is to continue in the CS field, and let go of my interest, which I am finding very hard to do, after reaching so close to my dream school.

I shall be really grateful to you for all the help and guidance.

Regards

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Ok.....

Congratulations......but one question:

Have you been accepted at other schools and if so, did they offer assistance?

My uncle has a PhD from MIT and the guy has worked in like 80 countries and made serious money throughout his career.....so, if you stick it out, you will likely pay off that loan in a few years and look back and laugh at your concerns of the time.

On the other hand, if you just want to teach and not be a consultant, go to the school that offers you the most, get a PhD and then teach.
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Hello The One!

Thank you so much! I have been accepted to Columbia for a MS in CS without any funding.

The reasons that I give myself against that are that one, if I go there, my career pathway would lead towards the IT Industry only, and there would be no coming back towards Spatial Sciences. Second, most of my research work would seem to me like a waste. I am unable to justify a second Masters degree. Hence, it is my last resort.

I don't see myself in academia and would definitely work in the industry itself, and yes, consulting is surely one of the top on my list of possible career pathways.

If I may ask, was his PhD from DUSP only? It will be just awesome if you could put me in touch with him. It will help me in getting a first-hand view of the Urban Planning/Design market and his advice would no doubt, be invaluable.

Registered
    Jun 2013

Hey!

Woah! Congratulations! I'd agree with the above post. I know 130K$ is huge, but that's MIT and a degree from there will be really helpful! You probably would have made your decision by now, but I hope you join the school!

I've just graduated, I hope to do a PhD at DUSP sometime in the future would love to get in touch!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Nope......

Quote Originally posted by shadowfax View post
    Hello The One!

Thank you so much! I have been accepted to Columbia for a MS in CS without any funding.

The reasons that I give myself against that are that one, if I go there, my career pathway would lead towards the IT Industry only, and there would be no coming back towards Spatial Sciences. Second, most of my research work would seem to me like a waste. I am unable to justify a second Masters degree. Hence, it is my last resort.

I don't see myself in academia and would definitely work in the industry itself, and yes, consulting is surely one of the top on my list of possible career pathways.

If I may ask, was his PhD from DUSP only? It will be just awesome if you could put me in touch with him. It will help me in getting a first-hand view of the Urban Planning/Design market and his advice would no doubt, be invaluable.
    He went through the Sloan School of Management and it paid off......

PhD in Urban Information Systems seems like a very narrow subject area to me.....but then again I'm not what you would call MIT material
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 26 Oct 2013, 9:58 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 28 Dec 2012, 3:53 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 03 Feb 2006, 10:39 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 13 Nov 2002, 12:40 PM