Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Graduate/PhD 2013-2014 applications and acceptance notices: Canada

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Graduate/PhD 2013-2014 applications and acceptance notices: Canada

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Apr 2012

:)

Okay, I'll get this started. I'm applying to the University of Manitoba for the Master of City Planning (with an option in disability studies) and York University for the Master of Planning (again with a focus on disability, etc). Only two schools where I can do this in Canada.

and...maybe Ryerson MPl "on time" this year but i'm undecided (probably not a good fit for my research).

How about everyone else??? Where are you applying???

(I'm also applying to 2 other separate Masters programs at UManitoba and York.)

time to finish up these 4 apps. getting 'em done very very early this year.

good luck

(Also if there is anyone on here who is taking or has taken City Planning UManitoba i'd like to pm you. thx)

Registered
    Apr 2012
    Edit::

Dalhousie University -- Master of Planning and Master of Planning Studies
    University of Manitoba -- Master of City Planning
    York University -- Unrelated MA

Registered
    Sep 2011
    Not many Canadian's on this thread eh?

GPA: 3.3 (I'm actually graduating this December, so GPA could go up by about .2 to .3 if I bust my ass this semester)
    GRE: Taking it in on Sept 30. I don't even know why I'm bothering with this thing...Any other Canadians taking the GRE???
    16 months (combined) of paid co-op internships. 8 of these was with the City's transportation planning department

Canada:
    McGill
    Queens
    Ryerson
    UBC
    UoT

US:
    Berkeley (just to try my luck)

Gonna start putting together my applications right after I take the GRE!

Registered
    Sep 2012
    I am planning on applying to Mcgill and UBC here in Canada. My preferred school would be Mcgill but I did my undergrad at UBC so there's a certain comfort level.

Registered
    Aug 2012
    Planning to apply to UBC and Queens for 2013.
    Good luck everyone!

Registered
    Mar 2006
    I only applied to UBC. McGill had been my #1 originally but with word that their Transportation Concentration isn't offered for the 2013 entering class, it fell off my radar.

Registered
    Oct 2012
    Applied to U of T, Ryerson, and Waterloo. GPA ~3.7, some related work experience. Still don't know where I'm going to go if I get accepted to all.

Registered
    Jan 2013

Applications

I've applied to Ryerson, University of Toronto, McGill and York.

Good luck to everyone and hopefully we hear back soon.

Registered
    Jan 2013
    I've applied to three Canadian schools and one UK school.

Canada:
    McGill
    Ryerson
    Dalhousie

UK:
    UCL's Bartlett School of Planning

Registered
    Sep 2011
    I ended up graduating in December 2012, so my official transcripts were only partial. Administration assured me this was ok, but now it's wigging me out a little...

anyone else in the same boat?

Registered
    Feb 2013
    I have applied to Dalhousie, U of C and McGill. Dal is my first choice and they have said they are starting to review applications this week. Fingers crossed I hear soon, does anyone know what process they use to review? My last name is near the end of the alphabet so if they review in alphabetical order it could be awhile.

Registered
    Feb 2013
    Hi all,

I applied to Ryerson, McGill, Dalhousie and Guelph (in that order of preference). I probably can't afford to be picky though!

Registered
    Aug 2012
    Just found out that my application has been recommended for acceptance at Queens.
    Hope they don't dash my hopes after this piece of good news!

Registered
    Feb 2013

Dalhousie

Hey out there! Any acceptances or rejections from Dalhousie yet?

Registered
    Feb 2012
    Just got into UBC With a teeny bit of funding too, which is surprising, since they say they don't give out any $$...

Anyone else hear from UBC yet? McGill?

Registered
    Sep 2011
    Haven't heard back from anyone in Canada. Got rejected from Berkeley

Grace_Vancity, what were your GPA and GRE scores? I applied to UBC too and now i'm getting nervous

Registered
    Feb 2013
    kekipower

No nothing for me yet either. I do know that they started reviewing about 3 weeks ago though, which makes me a bit nervous.....

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Grace_Vancity View post
    Just got into UBC With a teeny bit of funding too, which is surprising, since they say they don't give out any $$...

Anyone else hear from UBC yet?
    Congrats on the acceptance! I'm still waiting to hear from them, but at least no news is better than bad news Out of curiosity, did your status change on-line or did you get an e-mail/letter?
    Last edited by jeicow; 27 Feb 2013 at 9:04 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2012
    GRE: didn't write it
    GPA: honestly I've never figured out how to calc GPA (think UBC uses some funky 4.3 scale instead of the 4.0) but my last 2 years of ugrad (@ UBC) were 83%, plus a year abroad. I gradded 2010 though so have a few years work experience + relevant internship on my resume which probably helped.
    I haven't looked at my online application status since submitting but this came in an email from the grad program administrator, who said I'll be receiving a formal letter via snail mail from UBC grad studies soon. They want an answer by 18 March. I'm still holding out for McGill so my spot may go to one of you
    thanks and good luck!

Registered
    Oct 2012

Waterloo

I was accepted to Waterloo today with full funding. If there are any current Master's students out there who could tell me about their experiences with the program, that would be great.

Registered
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally posted by kekipower View post
    Hi everyone!

This is my first post on here - I have been looking around to see if anyone has heard back from McGill yet but so far I haven't found out anything useful. Has anyone here heard from there already?

I applied to McGill, Dalhousie, Queen's, and Ryerson ... and a few ~related MSc and M(Eng)Sc. programs in the UK/Ireland.

So far I've been accepted to Queen's with a full scholarship (February 12), and Dalhousie (February 18). I am required to pay a deposit for Queen's by March 1st (today..) but was really hoping to have heard back from McGill by now, as it is my first choice. I keep checking my McGill 'Minerva' account, but my file hasn't changed status from 'Ready for Review' since I completed my application.

Anyway, best of luck everyone - if anyone has info on when McGill may start sending out acceptances/has already heard, please let us know! I am tempted to call and see if I can find anything out.

Registered
    Jan 2013
    Congrats to everyone with an offer so far!

It shouldn't be too long now before all the other schools send out offers/make their decisions too.

Don't worry, it is still early in the game!

Registered
    Oct 2012

U of T

Received an email today with acceptance ot U of T! No details yet, letters are being sent to successful applicants today.

Registered
    Feb 2013
    Congratulations to everyone who has received acceptance letters! So we have heard from acceptees, but how about rejection letters? Has anyone heard from Guelph?

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 121
    Last post: 10 Jun 2014, 8:36 PM
  2. Replies: 131
    Last post: 10 Apr 2014, 2:44 PM
  3. Replies: 587
    Last post: 01 Apr 2014, 4:13 PM
  4. Replies: 129
    Last post: 18 Mar 2014, 10:38 PM
  5. Replies: 231