Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Columbia's reputation?

Registered
    Feb 2014

Columbia's reputation?

Hi all,

I am reading a lot about Columbia's poor reputation among urban planning programs, but I can't find any info on why they have this reputation--does anyone have any thoughts on this?

From what I've read, Columbia's program tends to be very academic / theoretical .... and offers little to no funding.

Registered
    Dec 2013
    Rumors are of bad networking for internships and later on jobs. Don't know how accurate it is

Registered
    Feb 2014
    Thanks for responding.

I've read similar things on other posts, but I have also read about some people who have plenty of positive things to say about the program.

Does anyone have any specifics regarding the quality of the faculty, program events/guest speakers, networking opportunities, or the atmosphere of the program?

Registered
    Dec 2013
    Well, Columbia in general, and the UP is no different, likes to leave its students alone to take care of their bureaucracy and issues, like, as I mentioned before, networking. I am sure that their faculty is great and very scholarly, but they are also focused on academia and less on the professional world. They also put a lot of emphasis on international planning, which can be great for those want to focus on it themselves. But they really rely on their name to attract students and to get those students jobs/internships later on. Besides, from their open house that was held yesterday it really seems like the UP program is shaded by the Architecture program.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 09 Mar 2011, 9:18 AM
  2. Reputation
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 11 Apr 2006, 3:31 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 05 Apr 2006, 5:54 AM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last post: 13 Apr 2005, 1:24 PM