Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Graduate/PhD 2017-2018 applications and acceptance notices: United States

Registered
    Oct 2015

Graduate/PhD 2017-2018 applications and acceptance notices: United States

Hey all,

I've been helped by the threads from previous years, so thought of making a new one for this year.

Post your stats, thoughts, acceptances, results, whatever!

I'm anxious to hear back, and judging from historical acceptances, schools should start getting back to us within a few weeks.

I'm coming from an International Studies Background. I originally wanted to do international development, but I'm now looking to focus on regional and economic development through community and urban planning. Since graduation from undergrad, I've been working at one of the IFIs with some decent experience in research but it's not 100% planning related. I think a couple of these are a stretch (mostly MIT) but I'm hopeful to get into the rest. I guess I only need to get into one, right? I think my statement of purpose ties everything together nicely, so we'll see.

Schools applied to:

Columbia Dual MIA/MUP
    UT Austin Dual MPA/MSCRP - Accepted
    MIT
    Harvard
    UCLA
    UMD
    VTech

GRE: 164V/160Q/5.5AW

GPA: 3.7 from a fairly reputable private school

Registered
    Feb 2017
    Hey!

I've applied (so far) to Hong Kong, Queens (Kingston), Hunter CUNY and the University of Colorado. I'm a British student living in the US, though, so I'm currently finishing up applications to NTNU in Norway and Glasgow, LSE, KCL, Manchester and Dublin in the British Isles. I come from an economics background (although I began as an ancient history student at the University of Manchester) and I'm coming from a pretty mediocre state institution in New Jersey. I didn't complete the GRE, just in case anyone wanted to compare, as it's extremely uncommon as a requisite when applying to UK universities and I imagined by best hopes were there.

While studying at Kean I developed an interest in Newark, probably seeing some parallels with my home in the Black Country, and I embarked on a series of independent pieces of research (owing largely to the limited help of the faculty) into the impact of the foreclosure crisis upon children's educational prospects and racial disparities. I couldn't really say which school would be my first choice, at this stage, but I'm liable to go for UoC if I can find some viable means to finance myself.

Registered
    Sep 2016

Program advice!

Hey all!

About me: Like misagald, I also come from an International Relations background. I want to work in international development with a focus on local and regional planning. Iím currently at a federal management consulting firm.

What Iím looking for:
    - Developing my tech skills in creative design, data visualization, Python, and GIS for urban applications. Hoping to be technically proficient enough that Iím marketable and competitive for supporting and helping implement infrastructure projects, but not so programming-focused that Iím pigeonholed into an IT/software development position.
    - I donít have any experience in urban design or planning, but want to investigate issues of transportation, disaster response, and tactical urbanism for megacities in my future career.
    - Seeking to build a suite of skills in creative visual representation, data curation/wrangling/analysis, and critical thinking on policy and business.

Schools applied to:
    - MIT (accepted)
    - PennDesign (accepted)
    - Columbia GSAPP (accepted)
    - Harvard (waitlisted)
    - Columbia MIA/MPA
    - Harvard MPP

Iím also weighing these options versus a very compelling UChicago Harris program that specifically focuses on developing computer science skills for policy analysis--but with less of an explicit urban planning focus. I see that programís value as giving students an intense foundation in CS which can be used across many different disciplines, including those Iíve indicated above.
    What are the big pros/cons of these programs, to you? Of the urban planning programs, I understand MITís program is less studio/design-focused than the others. Iím particularly hoping to learn more about the sense of community at each school, potential careers that they equip graduates for, and overall marketability of an urban planning degree vs. a technically-focused public policy degree.

Thanks!

Registered
    Dec 2013
    Hi all!

About me: I'm currently working at a university in the DC area supporting their sustainability efforts, but looking to shift to more urban issues, hence the applications to urban planning programs!

Here are stats:

GPA: 3.6 from a fairly good public uni out west, majored in Urban Planning
    GRE: 163 V/158 Q/4.5 writing
    Work experience: 1.5 years

Schools I applied to:
    -UC Berkeley
    -USC (accepted with full tuition Dean's Merit Scholarship! woo!)
    -UCLA (accepted, no word on funding yet)
    -NYU
    -Rutgers

I'm most likely heading to USC due to their extremely generous scholarship. Will anyone else be heading to the Dean's Merit event at USC on March 31st?

Good luck everyone!

Registered
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally posted by kmcgowan93 View post
    Hi all!

About me: I'm currently working at a university in the DC area supporting their sustainability efforts, but looking to shift to more urban issues, hence the applications to urban planning programs!

Here are stats:

Schools I applied to:
    -UC Berkeley
    -NYU
    -Rutgers

I'm most likely heading to USC due to their extremely generous scholarship. Will anyone else be heading to the Dean's Merit event at USC on March 31st?

Good luck everyone!
    When did you hear from UCLA? I've heard nothing back.
    Also, I just heard from NYU an hour ago (accepted) so maybe you're up soon.

Registered
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally posted by kmcgowan93 View post
    Hi all!

Here are stats:

Schools I applied to:
    -UC Berkeley
    -NYU
    -Rutgers

Good luck everyone!
    I will be at the USC event on the 31st! I received the same scholarship and will probably be heading there. Still waiting on UCLA which makes me nervous but in the past they have sent out acceptances over the course of many days. I also haven't heard from Berkeley but I'm pretty sure I'm getting rejected.

For reference, I will be graduating with a planning degree from UIUC in May. I have a 3.79 GPA and 164V/156Q/5.0 and planning internship experience.

Registered
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally posted by nsf View post
    I will be at the USC event on the 31st! I received the same scholarship and will probably be heading there. Still waiting on UCLA which makes me nervous but in the past they have sent out acceptances over the course of many days. I also haven't heard from Berkeley but I'm pretty sure I'm getting rejected.

For reference, I will be graduating with a planning degree from UIUC in May. I have a 3.79 GPA and 164V/156Q/5.0 and planning internship experience.
    Yeah, it's pretty hard to turn down a full tuition scholarship! I'll be at the event on the 31st too, I'm excited to check out the campus!

I heard from UCLA back on February 28th, but they didn't send me a formal letter of acceptance until a few days later.

Registered
    Apr 2016
    Hello!

Last October I applied to the University at Albany and Cal Poly Pomona! No GRE for either, nearly 2 years of planning experience in county/city government, and a 3.02 gpa (my first two years were bad).

I'm happy to say I was accepted to both, just heard from Cal Poly Pomona yesterday, and I will most likely be accepting that to study Environmental Planning there!

Has anyone else applied/been accepted to CPP?

Registered
    Feb 2017
    GPA- 2.8 cumm.
    GRE - Quant (161), Verbal (161), Writing (5.0)

Hey all! I wanted to get some feedback if possible. I was admitted to 3 out of the 6 I applied to (USC MPL, UCI MURP, Cal Poly Pomona MURP and waitlisted at UCSB Bren School MESM).

I applied to the Bren School because I wanted to do something at the crossroads of urban watershed management and urban planning and policy. I am pretty set on the MURP program at UCI but I am waiting to see if I get accepted to the MESM program that the Bren School offers. UC Irvine has offered me a $2500 fellowship for my first quarter, and I'd be able to save money by living at home while completing the program. I'm holding out a bit for news on the MESM program since it is ranked so highly, but they won't tell me my admission status until after the SIR deadline for UCI MURP. Can anyone shed any insider knowledge on strengths/weaknesses of these two programs as well as the process by which to ask for an extension to the MURP program? I'm wondering if I should enroll in the UCI MURP (which is a phenomenal program from what I hear as well) and not jeopardize my acceptance there. Any and all help is appreciated!

Thanks! I hope to meet some of you this coming fall, regardless of where I end up.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 36
    Last post: 09 Aug 2017, 2:21 PM
  2. Replies: 84
    Last post: 22 Mar 2016, 5:54 PM
  3. Replies: 573
    Last post: 12 May 2012, 4:29 AM
  4. Replies: 1966
    Last post: 13 Jul 2010, 4:45 PM