Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24

Thread: Graduate/PhD 2013-2014 applications and acceptance notices: United States

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally posted by WooTang View post
    Anyone going to San Jose State?
    I had them on my extended list last summer, but removed them when I decided I didn't want to move across the country.

Registered
    Apr 2013

Tough Call.

University of California, Irvine
    Major: Environmental Analysis & Design
    Minor: Urban & Regional Planning
    GPA: 2.7 Overall, 3.4 Major
    GRE: Median

Additional Academic: UCLA Jumpstart Architecture, Construction Management courses at City College SF, LEED GA Certified

Experience: Intern Caltrans; Design/Admin Assistant at an interior design studio
    Current: Nearly 5 years working for a real estate developer, primarily working on a large scale redevelopment project

Recommendations:
    1) Current EVP of Employer
    2) Architect from international architecture firm, professional colleague
    3) Former professor in Planning Policy & Design from UC Irvine

Here are the schools I've applied to:

UC Berkeley, Master of City Planning; Rejected 2/2013
    Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, Master of City & Regional Planning; Accepted 4/2013
    San Jose State University, Master of Urban Planning; Accepted 4/2013

Cal was my first choice. Not sure if I should go to one of the others or reapply again after I improve aspects of my application.

Registered
    Dec 2012
    i would suggest you go to one of the programs to which you were accepted. berkeley is one of the most competitive schools to get into- this year they only accepted 10% of applicants. i also think they might have a minimum gpa requirement of 3.0

Quote Originally posted by itsrogelio View post
    University of California, Irvine
    Major: Environmental Analysis & Design
    Minor: Urban & Regional Planning
    GPA: 2.7 Overall, 3.4 Major
    GRE: Median

Additional Academic: UCLA Jumpstart Architecture, Construction Management courses at City College SF, LEED GA Certified

Experience: Intern Caltrans; Design/Admin Assistant at an interior design studio
    Current: Nearly 5 years working for a real estate developer, primarily working on a large scale redevelopment project

Recommendations:
    1) Current EVP of Employer
    2) Architect from international architecture firm, professional colleague
    3) Former professor in Planning Policy & Design from UC Irvine

Here are the schools I've applied to:

UC Berkeley, Master of City Planning; Rejected 2/2013
    Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, Master of City & Regional Planning; Accepted 4/2013
    San Jose State University, Master of Urban Planning; Accepted 4/2013

Cal was my first choice. Not sure if I should go to one of the others or reapply again after I improve aspects of my application.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally posted by carmen d. View post
    i would suggest you go to one of the programs to which you were accepted. berkeley is one of the most competitive schools to get into- this year they only accepted 10% of applicants. i also think they might have a minimum gpa requirement of 3.0
    yeah, go to one of the programs you were accepted into. you will find the forum filled with people with better stats who were rejected at cal

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2012
    Global nomad, currently stationed in Beijing
    Quote Originally posted by Queenducky21 View post
    yeah, go to one of the programs you were accepted into. you will find the forum filled with people with better stats who were rejected at cal
    Itsrogelio -- while I agree with the competitive and unpredictable nature of grad admissions that others have stated, I'm also gonna play the devil's advocate here by encouraging you to think through your motives for going to grad school, whether you think SLO or San Jose will meet if not all of those motives, and the opportunity cost of each option (including re-applying next year). If you think you can only get what you wanted at UCB, and you can drastically improve your statement/story/recommendation letters in a year's time, then it might be worth considering giving your dream another shot.

UC Berkeley is the most competitive program out there due to their small class size, but it's not at 10% acceptance rate yet. Their incoming class will be roughly 10% of the applicant pool this year, but quite some people do turn their offers down (as I was told by a prof there) so their acceptance rate is higher than that scary 10%.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally posted by lubinli View post
    Itsrogelio -- while I agree with the competitive and unpredictable nature of grad admissions that others have stated, I'm also gonna play the devil's advocate here by encouraging you to think through your motives for going to grad school, whether you think SLO or San Jose will meet if not all of those motives, and the opportunity cost of each option (including re-applying next year). If you think you can only get what you wanted at UCB, and you can drastically improve your statement/story/recommendation letters in a year's time, then it might be worth considering giving your dream another shot.

UC Berkeley is the most competitive program out there due to their small class size, but it's not at 10% acceptance rate yet. Their incoming class will be roughly 10% of the applicant pool this year, but quite some people do turn their offers down (as I was told by a prof there) so their acceptance rate is higher than that scary 10%.
    That is a good point.if you reapply, I'd encourage you to make contact with folks at cal first. It seems like you are interested in going to school in California. Have you thought about applying to UCLA OR UC Irvine as well?

Just got accepted to the Master of Science in Historic Preservation (MSHP) degree program at the University of Colorado Denver does anyone know anything about the program?

SJSU

Quote Originally posted by WooTang View post
    Anyone going to San Jose State?
    I will be headed to SJSU in the fall. I am from Northern CA so I felt that San Josť would be ideal for me, especially since my girlfriend already works in the area.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2012

Facebook Group for ALL Incoming Grad Students

Registered
    Mar 2011
    Hey everyone, congratulations to you all who got accepted to their respective schools and who are preparing for their first semester of grad school in the fall.

I just wanted to drop in and say I have posted a link in popbz's thread about SJSU. I recall searching this forum for days trying to find as much info as possible about this South Bay program and finding almost nothing. From what I have experienced thus far it is really a great program and I think all of you who have selected it will be very pleased. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me either through a message or through the thread on SJSU. Once again congratulations everyone.

UW-Madison

Hi all. Anyone else headed to Madison?

It's been a while (several months) since I posted here, so...yeah...surprise! Haha, UW-Madison it is

Registered
    Mar 2014

Re: Rutgers v. MIT, et al for urban design

Quote Originally posted by asutherlandb View post
    I'll admit right off the bat that this is a lovely problem to have, but nonetheless still one I'm losing sleep over.

I've been admitted to MIT, Harvard, Penn, Pratt, Rutgers, and NYU. My 1st-3rd choices are a pretty close split between MIT, Harvard, and Penn. I've received small amounts of funding from Harvard and Penn, but nothing from MIT. (Nothing from NYU either, and a generous offer from Pratt).

Then yesterday I got an incredible offer from Rutgers, which I'm wary about a) for New Brunswick and b) because I hope one of my foci will be urban design. Rutgers doesn't strike me as having much strength in this capacity at all. Part of me thinks it's a poor decision to choose a program for funding only IF it doesn't also fulfill a primary objective of mine (to become well-versed in urban design).

That said, it's obviously a fantastic program overall, and graduating debt free is appealing. I'm also interested in downtown and economic development, which I do believe Rutgers is great for.

Fundamentally though, I'm a design nerd, and I don't know that I'd want to go somewhere housed in a policy, and not architecture, school.

Does anyone have any advice about or gut reaction to this 'problem'?
    Hi asutherlandb,

I need to make this exact decision in the next two weeks re: MIT or Rutgers with a personal interest in gaining design skills. I sent you a 'friend request' here in hope you can update me on your decision and thoughts offline.

Thanks,
    Catie

Registered
    Mar 2013
    Just got into Hunter. I happily plan on accepting and attending this coming fall. Any other potential Hunter attendees?

+ Reply to thread
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 132
    Last post: 29 Aug 2014, 9:02 AM
  2. Replies: 120
    Last post: 28 Jun 2013, 5:46 PM
  3. Replies: 573
    Last post: 12 May 2012, 3:29 AM
  4. Replies: 708
    Last post: 26 Jul 2011, 6:59 PM
  5. Replies: 1966