Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 588

Thread: Graduate/PhD 2013-2014 applications and acceptance notices: United States

  1. #76
    Member
    Registered
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally posted by yodeyad View post
    I'm still in the dark on all my applications and slowly losing the will to resist checking the status websites more frequently than I should. Back when I was studying for the GRE and filling out applications, I thought February would be a nice break between working hard on apps and making tough decisions. Instead, the waiting and thinking have given me a major case of existential angst. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to April..
    yodeyad, I'm glad I'm not the only one! That's exactly how I thought I would feel about February ("how relaxing, I'll be able to take a break from thinking about it all") but instead I find myself anxiously checking my spam folder increasingly often "just in case" something comes in. Ugh. Can't wait to know either way.

  2. #77
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally posted by Queenducky21 View post
    Got into U of IL Urban Planning with full funding!
    Wow, congrats, Ducky! Funding goes a long way!

  3. #78
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    82
    I know exactly how you all feel. I was relieved to finish my apps, but now I am stuck refreshing gradcafe and cyburbia, checking my email constantly, even waking in the middle of the night to see if I received any notice. I can't wait to hear back.


    On my list is UC Irvine- they seem to release notices between Feb 15-Feb 20. UMichigan is not far behind- the sent an email indicating notices would be sent by Feb 24.

    All the others are set for the first 2-3 weeks of March. Hopefully I get one soon, even if it isn't my top pick.


    Quote Originally posted by tanpard View post
    yodeyad, I'm glad I'm not the only one! That's exactly how I thought I would feel about February ("how relaxing, I'll be able to take a break from thinking about it all") but instead I find myself anxiously checking my spam folder increasingly often "just in case" something comes in. Ugh. Can't wait to know either way.

  4. #79
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Across the pond
    Posts
    148

    Waking up in the middle of the night

    Waterboy, I can relate to the waking up in the middle of the night thing. I live in Bulgaria, and so I could really find out in the middle of the night!
    But, really, there isn't much that we can do. It is better to use this time preparing for graduate school than fussing about hitting refresh. That's not to say I have not (even after getting an acceptance!).

    Also, don't put too much faith in seeing what they have on Grad Cafe. I saw last week that U of IL had sent out acceptances to people, so I was sure that I wouldn't get one. But I ended up getting full funding.

  5. #80
    Member
    Registered
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Prague
    Posts
    10
    Queenducky21 did you get acceptance into PhD or Masters at UIC?

  6. #81
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Across the pond
    Posts
    148

    UIUC

    Hey,
    I have not heard back from UIC. This was for a masters at UIUC, down south. In a corn field. I saw your other post about not hearing back for the PhD. I checked on Grad Cafe and no one has posted about it. The only postings about it were later, arround March 8th. Have you logged in and checked your status? Mine just says ''applied'.'

  7. #82

    UW

    Wait listed to Wisconsin. I'm certain it was the GPA, probably in concert with only tangential work experience (I think I killed the SOP though, but a lot of people think that ). I realize the implications of this for other programs, so...does anyone have any general advice?
    Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 13 Feb 2013 at 3:28 PM.

  8. #83
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    82

    Was it Wisconsin Madison?

    Which UW did you get waitlisted on?


    Quote Originally posted by Tyrone Slothrop View post
    Wait listed to Wisconsin. I'm certain it was the GPA, probably in concert with only tangential work experience (I think I killed the SOP though, but a lot of people think that ). I realize the implications of this for other programs, so...does anyone have any general advice?

  9. #84
    Quote Originally posted by waterboy View post
    Which UW did you get waitlisted on?
    Madison, sorry.

  10. #85
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Across the pond
    Posts
    148

    Wait it out

    So this is the only time I've applied, but from everything that I have read/ heard people may not get accepted to one school or another. You just need to wait it out. I was looking at some older posts today, and a guy was not accepted to University of Washington but got a fellowship to MIT. If you are really freaking out, some schools (like UIC) still have deadlines that you could try and meet. If you want, I will look at your SOP if you are going to re-apply.

    Quote Originally posted by Tyrone Slothrop View post
    Wait listed to Wisconsin. I'm certain it was the GPA, probably in concert with only tangential work experience (I think I killed the SOP though, but a lot of people think that ). I realize the implications of this for other programs, so...does anyone have any general advice?

  11. #86
    Member
    Registered
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Prague
    Posts
    10
    Thanks Queenduck21! I noticed UIUC sent out acceptances. Congrats on your acceptance!

    I noticed the March timeline as well. However, the email from the Grad Co-ordinator indicated that if your application was complete, you would hear by Jan 31, otherwise you'll hear by the end of Feb. Getting a bit worried now.

    My Status says "Referred to College for Decision". I guess it's the waiting game.

    Quote Originally posted by Queenducky21 View post
    Hey,
    I have not heard back from UIC. This was for a masters at UIUC, down south. In a corn field. I saw your other post about not hearing back for the PhD. I checked on Grad Cafe and no one has posted about it. The only postings about it were later, arround March 8th. Have you logged in and checked your status? Mine just says ''applied'.'

  12. #87
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Across the pond
    Posts
    148

    Good News ?

    I hate to be too optimistic, but if you've been referred to the college for a decision, that is probably good news. Although, it says nothing about funding.
    Quote Originally posted by rsx_2006 View post
    My Status says "Referred to College for Decision". I guess it's the waiting game.

  13. #88
    Member
    Registered
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Prague
    Posts
    10
    Not sure - the Decision field says "Application Materials Received - Please await further updates".

    I think I'll wait it out! Nothing to do but wait and check almost hourly.

    Quote Originally posted by Queenducky21 View post
    I hate to be too optimistic, but if you've been referred to the college for a decision, that is probably good news. Although, it says nothing about funding.

  14. #89
    Member
    Registered
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    10
    @ Arianna,

    Did you hear back from MIT for MST? I think the committee has completed its admission process...




    Quote Originally posted by arianna View post
    Major: Urban & Regional Planning (accredited)
    Cumulative GPA: 3.60
    Past 2 yrs. GPA: 3.90
    GRE: 157Q, 150V
    Strong Letters of Recommendation, all Urban Planning professors, including one very well respected transportation guy

    Experience:
    -Planning Intern with a major city for 1.5+ years
    -Undergraduate student research assistant for my Department

    Scholarship Awards
    -Four relevant to transportation and planning;
    -Three relevant to leadership and academic success

    Interest:
    -Transportation...combining planning + engineering (actually only one of the programs I applied to is full on planning with plans of a dual masters)

    Schools:
    1. UC Berkeley - MCP, eventually seeking Dual MCP/MSCE
    2. U Washington - MSCE/Transpo Eng.
    3. MIT - MST
    4. UC Davis -MSCE/Transpo Eng.

  15. #90
    Member
    Registered
    Nov 2012
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    3
    No, haven't heard anything from MIT yet.
    I wish!

    I will post as soon as I hear from any school.


    Quote Originally posted by eigenvector View post
    @ Arianna,

    Did you hear back from MIT for MST? I think the committee has completed its admission process...

  16. #91
    Heard today, via E-mail, that I was accepted to UIUC's PhD program with 2-year funding. Blown away.

  17. #92
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Across the pond
    Posts
    148

    Congrats!

    Congrats! Perhaps, we will be in school together. Where else did you apply?

    Quote Originally posted by jrs11e View post
    Heard today, via E-mail, that I was accepted to UIUC's PhD program with 2-year funding. Blown away.

  18. #93
    Quote Originally posted by Queenducky21 View post
    Congrats! Perhaps, we will be in school together. Where else did you apply?
    Thanks! Yes! I'm finishing up my Master's at Florida State where I've also been accepted (but am awaiting official funding decisions) and I'm waiting to hear from UMD and UNC. I honestly didn't expect to have a decision to make.

  19. #94
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Emory, VA
    Posts
    30
    Just got into Pratt with a basic scholarship of $5,000 and the possibility of an assistantship/ internship at Pratt Center for Community Development!

  20. #95
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    82

    must feel great!!! congrats

    looks like you'll have some decisions to make! congrats!



    Quote Originally posted by SWVA View post
    Just got into Pratt with a basic scholarship of $5,000 and the possibility of an assistantship/ internship at Pratt Center for Community Development!

  21. #96
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Across the pond
    Posts
    148

    Must feel great!

    Congrats SWVA
    Quote Originally posted by SWVA View post
    Just got into Pratt with a basic scholarship of $5,000 and the possibility of an assistantship/ internship at Pratt Center for Community Development!

  22. #97
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally posted by tanpard View post
    yodeyad, I'm glad I'm not the only one! That's exactly how I thought I would feel about February ("how relaxing, I'll be able to take a break from thinking about it all") but instead I find myself anxiously checking my spam folder increasingly often "just in case" something comes in. Ugh. Can't wait to know either way.
    It will be worse for me in March when I'll be expecting those emails. Anyone know if Portland and U of Oregon notify by email or mail?

  23. #98
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Across the pond
    Posts
    148

    UIC

    Got an email from UIC saying that they need a transcript for the study abroad that I didn't do. Interesting that it was sent out on a Sunday. Hopefully, we can get this cleared up soon!

  24. #99
    Member
    Registered
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Prague
    Posts
    10

    Good news?

    That seems like good news...they must be interested in your app.

    Quote Originally posted by Queenducky21 View post
    Got an email from UIC saying that they need a transcript for the study abroad that I didn't do. Interesting that it was sent out on a Sunday. Hopefully, we can get this cleared up soon!

  25. #100
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    82

    Irvine

    Did anyone else apply to Irvine? Seems like they send notices between the 15th and 20th. Crossing my fingers I hear from someone... anyone.. soon!

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 132
    Last post: 29 Aug 2014, 9:02 AM
  2. Replies: 120
    Last post: 28 Jun 2013, 5:46 PM
  3. Replies: 573
    Last post: 12 May 2012, 3:29 AM
  4. Replies: 708
    Last post: 26 Jul 2011, 6:59 PM
  5. Replies: 1966
    Last post: 13 Jul 2010, 3:45 PM