Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Graduate/PhD 2013-2014 applications and acceptance notices: United States

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2012

UWisconsin-Madison

I'm accepted. Checked website admission status on UW Portal

Accepted to Iowa, which thrills me because it's a joint program with Health, Management, and Policy (seems like an extremely unique program). No funding for the first semester unfortunately, but it's still gonna be hard to pass this up.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2012

congrats Tyrone

congrats- that was your top pick right? i guess we'll both have to wait and see about UVA. I'm glad I can cut my 4th and 5th pick off the list.

Quote Originally posted by Tyrone Slothrop View post
    Accepted to Iowa, which thrills me because it's a joint program with Health, Management, and Policy (seems like an extremely unique program). No funding for the first semester unfortunately, but it's still gonna be hard to pass this up.

In at UMD for PhD program. Anyone else hear back from there?

Now I'm just waiting to hear from UNC.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2012
    Global nomad, currently stationed in Beijing

USC

For those waiting on USC, decisions have started trickling out. I got the physical admissions package today (dated Feb.14, but I live half a world away from L.A.) without any email notifications. And my online application's status remained unchanged ("submitted"). So look out for the envelopes arriving in your mailboxes!

Half-tuition funding (Dean's Merit Scholarship) for its MPL program.
    Last edited by lubinli; 20 Feb 2013 at 1:03 AM.

Quote Originally posted by waterboy View post
    congrats- that was your top pick right? i guess we'll both have to wait and see about UVA. I'm glad I can cut my 4th and 5th pick off the list.
    It's certainly up there. The program is quite enticing given the track I want to take.

Registered
    Jul 2011

Congratulations

I'm accepted. Checked website admission status on UW Portal

Congratulations waterboy. Wish you best of luck in all other applications as well....

Registered
    Jul 2011

Congratulations

Quote Originally posted by lubinli View post
    For those waiting on USC, decisions have started trickling out. I got the physical admissions package today (dated Feb.14, but I live half a world away from L.A.) without any email notifications. And my online application's status remained unchanged ("submitted"). So look out for the envelopes arriving in your mailboxes!

Half-tuition funding (Dean's Merit Scholarship) for its MPL program.

Congratulations. You got fantastic news, specifically given the current tough application year for international students. To me, this is kind of confusing why they just announce admissions decisions by mail.

Registered
    Jan 2013

MST Acceptances Out?

According to The Grad Cafe, MIT MST acceptances are out.

Registered
    Feb 2013

UIC Acceptances are out

It seems UIC acceptances are going out. Grad Cafe poster didn't really provide much details though.

Registered
    Jan 2013
    I wish there was a mandatory interview component to grad schools. This whole process is such a black box...

Registered
    Dec 2012

UT Austin

Seems as though I'm the first on the blogosphere to write about a response from UT Austin!!! I'm in for the dual master's in sustainable design and community and regional planning. Waiting to hear the details/funding etc. Will look forward to hearing all of your thoughts on the program. Excited to hear about the other 4 schools I applied to!!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2012

congratulations on UTA

I wouldn't be surprised at all if you had to make a decision between multiple programs you have applied to; you're stats are some of the best I have seen. I'm hoping you don't get accepted to UVA! hahaha. Sorry- that's very, very selfish of me.

Quote Originally posted by Coin View post
    Seems as though I'm the first on the blogosphere to write about a response from UT Austin!!! I'm in for the dual master's in sustainable design and community and regional planning. Waiting to hear the details/funding etc. Will look forward to hearing all of your thoughts on the program. Excited to hear about the other 4 schools I applied to!!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2012

UM

Noticed on gradcafe that applicants were receiving phone calls. Shortly after I received a call notifying acceptance to UM. Formal notice in mail.

It kind of feels like Christmas.

Registered
    Oct 2012
    It kind of feels like Christmas.
    Congrats on getting some good news. It feels more like Christmas eve or the day before Christmas eve for me. I looked up last year's notices on Grad Cafe for the schools I applied to and they all went out around the second week of March. Arg!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2012

Christmas

Don't count on gradcafe tooo much. Both UM and UW-Madison released notices during the first two weeks of March the last two years. Seems they're notifying applicants much sooner now!

In comparison to UC Irvine which notified people by Feb 9 - Feb 15; I still haven't heard anything. You'll hear soon enough. I'm still crossing my fingers for acceptance to UVA... that will make the decision much harder!

Good luck!

Quote Originally posted by yodeyad View post
    Congrats on getting some good news. It feels more like Christmas eve or the day before Christmas eve for me. I looked up last year's notices on Grad Cafe for the schools I applied to and they all went out around the second week of March. Arg!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2012

hmm

I hope I made the right decision in the schools I applied to. I *almost* applied to UIC but missed the deadline. Also considered USC but was too busy with my UCLA app which was due at the same time.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2012

you'll be fine

you have great stats- I wouldn't worry too much. I am sure you'll be accepted to at least 2 of the programs. berkely is an pretty decent undergrad institution! haha.

Quote Originally posted by allygo View post
    I hope I made the right decision in the schools I applied to. I *almost* applied to UIC but missed the deadline. Also considered USC but was too busy with my UCLA app which was due at the same time.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2012
    Well thanks! but I'm not so much worried about admission as I am about funding. If I don't receive any funding offer I won't be able to accept admission...UIC apparently gave out a few full tuition offers and USC is notoriously generous.. :-P. I'll just have to wait patiently and cross my fingers. Oh, and finish up FAFSA this weekend. I can't wait to hear back from schools so my anxiety based stomach ache can go away.

Registered
    Feb 2013

UIC

allygo, are you referring to UIC PhD or Masters? I'm curious as I have not heard anything back from UIC regarding PhD. Things don't seem to promising if they already sent out PhD acceptances for me

Well thanks! but I'm not so much worried about admission as I am about funding. If I don't receive any funding offer I won't be able to accept admission...UIC apparently gave out a few full tuition offers and USC is notoriously generous.. :-P. I'll just have to wait patiently and cross my fingers. Oh, and finish up FAFSA this weekend. I can't wait to hear back from schools so my anxiety based stomach ache can go away.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally posted by rsx_2006 View post
    allygo, are you referring to UIC PhD or Masters? I'm curious as I have not heard anything back from UIC regarding PhD. Things don't seem to promising if they already sent out PhD acceptances for me
    Hi, I was referring to MA notifications. What are you doing in Prague if I may ask? I'm dying to visit. Making a trip over to that region in Spring but won't make it to Prague though :/

Registered
    Feb 2013

Prague

Hey,

I'm actually from Germany. My family is here on a temporary assignment from my Dad's company. Prague is nice. It's worth a visit, if you can make it!

Thanks for responding to my question as well.

Hi, I was referring to MA notifications. What are you doing in Prague if I may ask? I'm dying to visit. Making a trip over to that region in Spring but won't make it to Prague though :/

Registered
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally posted by rsx_2006 View post
    rsx_2006: Emails on PhD acceptances from UIC went out on Feb 19. It was a generic email - it did not contain our names or the name of the advisor we have been assigned.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2012

funding

I wouldn't let initial funding offer deter you from accepting an offer. You may secure scholarships, TA or fellowship funding your second semester, and that can reimburse your upfront costs. I am definitely planning on taking advantage of grants, but I also plan on taking loans to assist with living, traveling, etc. Plus, funding in MA/MS programs isn't typical; usually they offer PhD students most departmental funding.

Either way, I hope you hear from your choices soon!

Registered
    Dec 2012
    Congrats Waterboy...

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 135
    Last post: 07 Oct 2014, 3:33 AM
  2. Replies: 120
    Last post: 28 Jun 2013, 6:46 PM
  3. Replies: 573
    Last post: 12 May 2012, 4:29 AM