Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Fox News not allowed to broadcast in Canada

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

Fox News not allowed to broadcast in Canada

Fox News was not granted a license to broadcast in Canada due to "lying is not allowed in reporting the news"

http://www.skepticmoney.com/fox-news...roadcast-news/

Hey, the great white neighbors to the north might be on to something - journalism with ethics?!?!?!!?!? Imagine that. I guess transplanner does have influence.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Fox News was not granted a license to broadcast in Canada due to "lying is not allowed in reporting the news"

http://www.skepticmoney.com/fox-news...roadcast-news/

Hey, the great white neighbors to the north might be on to something - journalism with ethics?!?!?!!?!? Imagine that. I guess transplanner does have influence.
    Guess nobody reports politics in Canada, eh?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The problem is that FOX (and others) label thier misleading editorial content as news. If they were to be more open about the fact that it was entertainment or even political marketing, then perhaps there could be some shred of honesty in their approach, if still not the message.

If we were to look back in history, though, we would not have to search long to find many other examples. Remember William Randolph Hearst? Even earlier, newspaper editors were never all that careful in checking the accuracy of their facts. Research has shown, for instance, that 97.3% of all facts are made up on the spot. Furthermore, these facts tend to support the conclusion of the person writing the article.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    The problem is that FOX (and others) label thier misleading editorial content as news. If they were to be more open about the fact that it was entertainment or even political marketing, then perhaps there could be some shred of honesty in their approach, if still not the message.

If we were to look back in history, though, we would not have to search long to find many other examples. Remember William Randolph Hearst? Even earlier, newspaper editors were never all that careful in checking the accuracy of their facts. Research has shown, for instance, that 97.3% of all facts are made up on the spot. Furthermore, these facts tend to support the conclusion of the person writing the article.
    Fox links itself to entertainment when the heat gets turned on them for lying (like Hannity is just an entertainer he doesn't tell the news... Bill O'Reilly is an entertainer... Bret Beir is the news guy...)

Yet they get on Jon Stewert for being an entertainer with a slant. The big difference in my mind is the acceptance of your slant. Fox pretends like it is fair and balanced when it is really anything but. Most comedy or entertainment shows (Stewert, Colbert, Maher) are left leaning, but are very clear of what they are trying to accomplish. The right leaning comedy or entertainment shows (Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, O'Reilly) tell their versions of the news without ever being clear that they have skewed the living death out of it. They present it as the news. That is big difference to me.

With that said, has Canada banned MSNBC?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2004
    What is sad is that our courts have ruled that news organizations have a first amendment right to lie. Interestingly enough, that case involved Fox news (Fox v. Akre, 2003).
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    Research has shown, for instance, that 97.3% of all facts are made up on the spot. Furthermore, these facts tend to support the conclusion of the person writing the article.
    97.3%, eh? Love the irony!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Good. Maybe they will also shut down CNN, ABC news, NBC news, CBS news, MSNBC, and several others.

KEEP the BBC though!
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Fox links itself to entertainment when the heat gets turned on them for lying (like Hannity is just an entertainer he doesn't tell the news... Bill O'Reilly is an entertainer... Bret Beir is the news guy...)

Yet they get on Jon Stewert for being an entertainer with a slant. The big difference in my mind is the acceptance of your slant. Fox pretends like it is fair and balanced when it is really anything but. Most comedy or entertainment shows (Stewert, Colbert, Maher) are left leaning, but are very clear of what they are trying to accomplish. The right leaning comedy or entertainment shows (Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, O'Reilly) tell their versions of the news without ever being clear that they have skewed the living death out of it. They present it as the news. That is big difference to me.

With that said, has Canada banned MSNBC?
    I will admit that although the big people at fox disgust me (as well as their equivalents on the left), I like Baier and Smith doing news pieces in the afternoon they seem like pretty decent guys. Certainly by comparison to Hannity and O'Reilly.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ddomin4360 View post
    I will admit that although the big people at fox disgust me (as well as their equivalents on the left), I like Baier and Smith doing news pieces in the afternoon they seem like pretty decent guys. Certainly by comparison to Hannity and O'Reilly.
    You probably like Megyn Kelly too.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    KEEP the BBC though!
    ...and NPR!
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    ...and NPR!
    I am 50/ 50 on NPR. Some of their in house reporting has a liberal swing but some of it is truly unbiased. Last time I listened to them, they were on a pro-Obama swing as he was running for the White House. The interviewer was asking people why they were going to vote for whom ever they were going to vote for. For every one McCain supporter, there was 9 Obama supporters, however, the last one was an 19 year old kid who was going to vote for the first time, and bluntly said that "I am going to vote or Obama because he is black... and that's it" I thought it was interesting yet refreshing that they kept in in the piece.

Interestingly enough hosever, accroding to THIS research from UCLA, most of what we read on one of the big news sites (Fox, BBC, NRP or CNN) are actually written by the same person at a news agency but we assign bias based on the logo of the site hosting the article.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Interestingly enough hosever, accroding to THIS research from UCLA, most of what we read on one of the big news sites (Fox, BBC, NRP or CNN) are actually written by the same person at a news agency but we assign bias based on the logo of the site hosting the article.
    We don't assign bias, we bias ourselves to to each news agency. We do this because it furthers our ideological beliefs. The argument put forth is that we pick news based on the bias we perceive them having. The study doesn't really doesn't say anything about us causing the bias, it affirms that each group provides the bias for us. Especially new media like Fox News and MSNBC. There is much less actual bias at NBC, CNN, PBS, and NPR as the report goes on...

Put differently, is there evidence that ‘‘new’’ media do in fact deliver more slanted or biased news? At least in the case of Fox News, the answer is in the affirmative.
    Conservatives prefer Fox even when reading about vacation destinations, whereas liberals avoid Fox when the focus is sports. These findings illustrate the pervasiveness of the ideological divide in news selection.
    It is also worth noting that liberals did not converge on a single source; instead they divide their selections between the non-Fox News channels making little distinction among them.
    The emergence of Fox News as the cable ratings leader suggests that in a competitive market, politically slanted news programming allows a new organization to create a niche for itself. Recent theoretical work in economics shows that under competition and diversity of opinion, newspapers will provide content that is more biased: ‘‘Competition forces newspapers to cater to the prejudices of their readers, and greater competition typically results in more aggressive catering to such prejudices as competitors strive to divide the market’’
    And the zinger...

Our results are consistent with the argument that Internet technology will, in practice, narrow rather than widen users’ political horizons.
    Which reinforces why talk radio, Fox News, and MSNBC are actually bad for the country. We are doing this to ourselves....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Happy Canada Day/Fete du Canada
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 02 Jul 2013, 10:04 AM
  2. Replies: 29
    Last post: 20 Aug 2010, 3:06 PM
  3. Are you allowed to campaign?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 05 Nov 2008, 9:16 PM