Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Appropriate Fitness Attire

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Appropriate Fitness Attire

Over the past month, I have started to go to the gym again. Like most people, I wear shorts intended for working out and an older t-shirt that has the sleeves cut off, along with the required shoes and socks. However, much like we noted in the neighbor show, there is a wide range of people and a wide range of fitness attire.

For example, there is old guy Gus who wears running shoes, socks that come up to his knees, very short running shorts, a tank top, head band, and wrist bands, and runs… with is walker around the 1/7 mile track. It is great to see him out there moving so much, but it is also funny because he is wearing something that a marathoner from the 70’s would wear.

Then there is power lifter Pete. He is in a pair of workout pants and a shirt that is closer to a pair of suspenders than an actual shirt (only because he is required to wear a shirt), lifting gloves, and the make me look like a pro leather belt. Oh and a hat. What the heck is the deal with the hat? We can’t forget about boxer Butch, who looks just like the power lifter, except his is wearing a hoodie, with the hood up. He does not make eye contact and his favorite color is black.

But I think the most distracting of all is the 22 year old female (sassy Stacy) who is more interested in picking up guys than weights. One in particular has shorts and a ‘workout’ top that looks like they have been painted on, her hair is all done up in a sporty way, she has makeup on, and is even wearing some jewelry. This one in particular, will hop on an elliptical or treadmill and go for an hour or more at a pace that would make the power lifter puke. I am amazed that her dangling earrings don’t slap her in the face.

On the other hand, there appears to be an unexpected shift. More and more people are wearing polo shirts, or even long sleeve shirts made out of that fitness material (whatever it is called) and running pants. It is a refreshing change because these people look classy.

What do you wear to the gym, or what would you be most likely to wear to the gym if you went to the gym? Are there any people in at your gym that wear something other than the typical fitness attire?

*Note, I looked for photos of the characters above, but was unsuccessful.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2007
    You have described the folks at my gym perfectly. ESPECIALLY the old man! WE have a lot of those types. I always thought it was just because I prefer to go around 5:00 a.m. and maybe the younger folks were there in the afternoon/evening. Nope. The average age at my gym has got to be in the 60s.

The last two gyms I used to go to before my current one would not allow tank tops or sleeveless shirts for men or women due to cleanliness rules (didn't want the sweaty parts of your upper body making direct contact with the machines) and I really appreciated that. There is no such rule at my current gym, but I never see many folks without sleeves... maybe it's just the demographic. The few that do wear tank tops always seem to be high school kids who think they are Billy Bad Ass on the free weights. I personally always wear a shirt with sleeves because nobody should be subjected to seeing me without one.

I have no complaints about the girls with the short shorts or painted on shorts, except that there are not enough of them at my gym.

My normal gym attire: Marine Corps style running shorts, t-shirt, running shoes, socks. Nothing too wacky or questionable.

The ones that I don't understand are the folks who wear denim shorts to work out - that just does not seem comfortable at all. The worse though are those that wear no shoes/flip flops in the showers or saunas.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I pretty much do some tennis shoes (or Chuck Taylor's if I'm squatting), an old lifting t-shirt, and a pair of shorts (either cotton or that breathable fabric that a lot of workout stuff is made of). If I'm deadlifting or doing olympic lifting I'll wear a pair of long socks that go up to my knees, too. It's not for fashion, but function, as it keeps me from bloodying my knees from the gnurling on the bar. When I dealift or squat heavy I'm generally wearing a thick leather powerlifting belt, also.

As far as others in my gym, I see a lot of the Under Armor stuff these days. The women will generally wear a sports bra or tighter t-shirt plus some short shorts that show off their legs/butt. I, too, have seen the old guys who get all decked out 70's style with long striped tube socks, shorts pulled up their chest, and sweatbands everywhere. Some will wear a belt even though all they are doing is a few cable curls and the lat pulldown machine.

I always love the guys you see who will come in wearing a t-shirt with the sleeves cut off so much there are basically no sides left so you can se their RIPPED ABZ and HYUGE BROCEPS. They usually have what I refer to as ILS - imaginary lat syndrome - where despite having little in the way of muscle walk around as though they are carrying watermelons under each arms and have trouble fitting through doorways without turning to the side.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I am a runner, but I rarely wear running clothes to the gym. If I do, I wear longer shorts than I would on a long run or outside. As for everyone else at the gym, I like when people wear inappropriate things. I like to try and imagine what they are thinking.... especially Sassy Stacy. She seems like a nice girl.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Typically soccer shorts and a wicking t-shirt or tank top. In the winter I might wear capris or track pants with a tee or tank. Socks and sneakers. I'm there to workout, not look pretty, that just comes with the territory. BOOOOO-yah.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Typically soccer shorts and a wicking t-shirt or tank top. In the winter I might wear capris or track pants with a tee or tank. Socks and sneakers. I'm there to workout, not look pretty, that just comes with the territory. BOOOOO-yah.
    Same here. Also, usually wearing makeup, but that's because I'm usually there on my lunch, not because I'm trying to look good. Don't wear much jewelry, so that's not an issue.

The Y here has the same cast of characters though, makes people watching fun!

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I wear a gigantic, shiny jumpsuit or occasionally a moo-moo. You gotta give the people what they want.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    I wear a gigantic, shiny jumpsuit or occasionally a moo-moo. You gotta give the people what they want.
    You can never go wrong with pleather.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    May 2005
    Going for a run this evening and now I don't know what to wear!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Appropriate attire?
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 03 Nov 2012, 1:25 AM
  2. Fitness
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 28 Apr 2009, 2:21 PM
  3. Fitness center at work