Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Sign regulations

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2012

Sign regulations

We've got a bit of a political firestorm going on about our zoning reg's for signage both temporary and pemanent. The current ones are fairly conservative and I'm working to liberalize them. However, a faction feels that there should be little or no regulation of signage (actually "we don't want you to ban the ones we like or think are cute but if we don't like the sign or the content we want you to get rid of them").

Can anyone direct me to a sign code that doesn't consist of more than bans on nudity, profanity and the use of dead animal carcasses? I'd really like to include it in my staff report as a regulatory option. Seriously.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by short timer View post
    Can anyone direct me to a sign code that doesn't consist of more than bans on nudity, profanity and the use of dead animal carcasses? I'd really like to include it in my staff report as a regulatory option. Seriously.
    This isn't too helpful, but there's that same three word mantra again ... time, place, manner. Can't regulate content, except in conjunction with "place" in a ban on billboards and off-premises signs, unless a state court has overruled that interpretation (Georgia, etc.). There's codes out there that ban such things, but they probably won't stand up in court.

A code I wrote included the following in a list of prohibited signs:

"Large objects such as cars, boats, engine blocks, home appliances, heavy equipment, industrial machinery, truck trailers, aircraft, and similar objects used as or included in freestanding or attached signs."

It seems to pass muster with the lawyers, so you might want to lump taxidermy in there, too.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2012
    the latest example is eight foot long multi-colored mock toothbrushes scattered on the front lawn of a dental office. He says they're "art" and not signs. At this point they've grown from one to six scattered like pick up sticks within the span of 10 days..figure it takes the dentist two evening to craft each one.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Signs / billboards Digital sign regulations
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 21 Oct 2010, 6:24 PM
  2. Signs / billboards Separate sign regulations
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 22 Jan 2007, 2:51 PM
  3. Signs / billboards Sign Illumination Regulations
    Land Use and Zoning