Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: aspiring planner from Queens, New York

Registered
    Jul 2012

aspiring planner from Queens, New York

Hi guys,

Finally signing up after reading through the forums for a few weeks. I'm two years out of undergrad and looking to apply for a Master's in planning this year. Figured I'd join here, chime in during the process, and discuss the day-to-day urban issues of living in New York.

I'm very interested in neighborhood development, especially regarding working-class neighborhoods that have achieved some degree of autonomy. I grew up in Flushing, Queens, a very diverse, heavily-immigrant working-class area, and probably one of the most vibrant neighborhoods in the country. I actually run a news and commentary website about Flushing (can't post link yet), and I really enjoy writing about the manic energy of this place and speculating on where it can and should be headed. I honestly think it's the most successful working-class neighborhood in post-Fordist America, and if it really flourishes in the next decade, it might serve as a model for other lower-middle-class neighborhoods in America.

Anyway, glad to be here, and hope to talk about all this and more.

JM

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Hello from upstate New York!

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hello, from Dallas, TX!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008

Hello, Neighbor!

I have a house in Queens and I'm so happy to see a new member from this amazing Borough. I am middle-aged and have witnessed Flushing's transformation over the decades--it's truly phenomenal. Greatly looking forward to reading your news and commentary website!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Welcome from the Great State of Ohio! Glad to have you!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2008
    This is your "Hello" from the Rockies. Great to have you in Cyburbia.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Aspiring City Planner
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 12 Jun 2013, 4:45 PM
  2. Hello from an Aspiring Planner
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 20 Jun 2011, 4:37 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 17 May 2011, 11:26 PM