Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rescue dogs

Registered
    Aug 2001

Rescue dogs

The missus and I are off to West Virginia this morning to pick up a dog.

We had not planned to get another dog. We lost our beloved Sukros at the end of May after her struggle with cancer. She was 13 years and five months old. She was a rescue in a sense, born to a stray who wandered into my wife's monther's yard. She was adopted by a friend who could not spend much time with her. My wide offered to let her come over during the day to spend time with her other rescue dog, Roscoe. (http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...p?39868-Roscoe) She never left. When she passed we said we needed time to mourn the sweetest girl who ever lived.

Then by chance I stumbled across a dog available for adoption. Her face reminded me so much of our little girl that I had to click the link. After reading the story I had to pass it along to my wife, who immediately decided we needed to save her. Cocoa has spent most of her 3 1/2 years chained to a tree. She has never been allowed in the house and does not receive any attention from the people who had her. At least when the rescue group approached them they decided to give her up so that she will have a chance to be loved.

At first the rescue group did not want to adopt to us because we were not in the area. We persisted, calling every rescue group and shelter in the region. One listened to our story and became convinced that it would be a good thing for her to go to our home. They interceded, and a board member took up our cause. It took about a week for them to maneuver and find a way for us to adopt. So today we are undertaking the 800 mile drive and tomorrow she will be ours!

http://www.adoptapet.com/pet7500495.html

Our current border collie/lab mix, Luke, came from a shelter. He is the gentlest and certainly the smartest dog I have ever known. Maybe I am biased by good experiences. Rescue dogs just always seem to be so good and loving. The only challenge is just adopting one, when there are so many wonderful dogs in need of good home.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Dec 2008
    That is great! That looks like a beautiful dog and you are such a wonderful person for giving her a loving home. I hope your travels go well and you keep us updated with how the new dog adjusts to your home (both inside and out!)

I wish you the best!
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Both of my dogs are rescues. My parents are on rescue dogs #3 and 4, and my sister is on rescue cat #2. I think it's safe to say that we prefer rescue to breeders.

My parents and my sister have to be careful because of allergy issues, but there hasn't been a problem finding the right breed group and getting pets. I was limited back when I got my first rescue dog because I lived in an apartment, but I love the breed so much that it was no problem to get another from the same group. Now I could branch out, but that's a decision for another day.

Hope you have a safe drive to pick up the newest family member!!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post

We had not planned to get another dog. We lost our beloved Sukros at the end of May after her struggle with cancer. She was 13 years and five months old. She was a rescue in a sense, born to a stray who wandered into my wife's monther's yard. She was adopted by a friend who could not spend much time with her. My wide offered to let her come over during the day to spend time with her other rescue dog, Roscoe. (http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...p?39868-Roscoe) She never left. When she passed we said we needed time to mourn the sweetest girl who ever lived.

Then by chance I stumbled across a dog available for adoption. Her face reminded me so much of our little girl that I had to click the link. After reading the story I had to pass it along to my wife, who immediately decided we needed to save her. Cocoa has spent most of her 3 1/2 years chained to a tree. She has never been allowed in the house and does not receive any attention from the people who had her. At least when the rescue group approached them they decided to give her up so that she will have a chance to be loved.

At first the rescue group did not want to adopt to us because we were not in the area. We persisted, calling every rescue group and shelter in the region. One listened to our story and became convinced that it would be a good thing for her to go to our home. They interceded, and a board member took up our cause. It took about a week for them to maneuver and find a way for us to adopt. So today we are undertaking the 800 mile drive and tomorrow she will be ours!

Our current border collie/lab mix, Luke, came from a shelter. He is the gentlest and certainly the smartest dog I have ever known. Maybe I am biased by good experiences. Rescue dogs just always seem to be so good and loving. The only challenge is just adopting one, when there are so many wonderful dogs in need of good home.
    Cocoa is beautiful! I hope she falls in love with her forever family as much as you have fallen in love with her. Captain Kitty is a rescue too
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2005
    My animals are all strays, from the pound, or rescue dogs. Misfits unite! Enjoy your journey - it will be epic for all of you.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Good luck and good trip to you all, Cardinal.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Aug 2002
    What a beautiful dog! Have a safe journey. I look forward to seeing your pictures of Cocoa once you get her home.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I love all of my rescues. I've got a 13 year old Boston, a 9 year old mixed terrier and a 1 year old Boston, every one of them a rescue.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    Be safe on your travels! My lab is a rescue and the best dog I could ever have. We've been together for 11 years now and I will have to take bereavement leave when that day comes.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Been adopting rescues for many years. In fact, I was in a group in Missouri that went with cops on puppy mill raids. Talk about heart breaking stuff...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Our lab/border mix is a rescue from the local pound. He's a smart one, but has his own streak of listening sometimes.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2012
    The only challenge is just adopting one, when there are so many wonderful dogs in need of good home.
    agreed! incredibly difficult not to adopt or foster more dogs whenever we stop by at the local rescue where our pup picked us. safe travels and enjoy!

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post

Congrats, Cardinal!!!

I'm on my third rescue dog and my 6th, 7th, and 8th rescue kitties. Tucker is a black standard poodle I got from the Warren County Humane Society. Before him, there was Rusty the German Shorthaired Pointer and before him was Bandit the Airedale. All great dogs and cats.

I'm considering getting another GSP from the GSP Rescue in Ohio, but I'm letting Tucker get completely settled in as I only got him in March.
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Registered
    May 2004
    My pup is a rescue dog.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1022.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	4960
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    You are all noble people...

We rescued a golden retriever years ago. The boys loved that dog. RIP, Jessie.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    My pup is a rescue dog.

Attachment 4960
    An angel, from the look of him/her.

Cocoa is in her new home. It was 805 miles from Wisconsin to West Virginia where we picked her up. Immediately, she was very sweet, laying on the floor and licking our hands as we petted her. She was very afraid and is still a bit scared. The ride home was mostly uneventful. She did well in the car and in the hotel room. The rescuer did not think she was house trained, but there have been no accidents. The only glitch so far is that she and Luke have not warmed up to each other completely. Part of the problem was the rescuer not wanting to let them interact immediately. Then there is her fear and his healousy at having to share us. He has approached her to play a couple times, but still no response. That will change with time.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    I thought I'd post a good story on another rescue dog in the Buffalo area: Mocha
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Cardinal, I think what you're doing is fanatic. I hear about dogs from Southern states being adopted by those in the Northeast all the time, so I'm surprised to see that the rescue group was reluctant to let you adopt.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    . I hear about dogs from Southern states being adopted by those in the Northeast all the time, so I'm surprised to see that the rescue group was reluctant to let you adopt.
    Banging head against wall. You seek out those holier than thou crunchy towns but you still have a prejudice. Do you say the same thing about white people in Ithaca adopting mixed-race kids from the south? What, is it more important that DOGS from the SOUTH be screened? I am not believing this, it is like you are saying, well, you're from the NORTH SO of course you are qualified to get a SOUTHERN dog, no questions asked. Are we all in the SOUTH dog abusers? Good grief, as Charlie Brown would say, Get over your crunchy self.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    What, is it more important that DOGS from the SOUTH be screened? I am not believing this, it is like you are saying, well, you're from the NORTH SO of course you are qualified to get a SOUTHERN dog, no questions asked. Are we all in the SOUTH dog abusers? Good grief, as Charlie Brown would say, Get over your crunchy self.
    Uhhh ... I don't think I said that. I described programs like this.

In order to save even more lives, Southern Hope regularly transports 50-75 homeless animals at a time in our air conditioned/heated bus from animal control "kill" shelters in the metro Atlanta area where their lives are in danger to "no-kill" shelters in the northeasten United States where they are quickly adopted.
    And this.

And this.

And this.

My next door neighbors are from NYC. They rescued a wonderful lab mix from Louisiana.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Breeds, not geography

Here's a link to a horrendous local story from a few months back. More than 350 Shih Tzu dogs and 20 cats were rescued by a tiny shelter nearby. While they were processing the animals (assessing, collecting data, grooming), they were spreading the word to animal rescues to come and pull animals.

Some were Shih Tzu specific, like the one in Wisconsin whose personnel drove about eight hours. Others were local all-animal shelters, like the one about 13 hours away in the U.P. (The latter had a possible adopter who really wanted a beagle, so along with the puppy mill animals, they brought back a couple of that breed.)

Animals cross state lines all the times, and Dan wouldn't likely hear about folks from Southern shelters coming to pull Ithaca dogs.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I understand Cardinal was driving hundreds of miles (and kudos to him for falling in love with a rescue animal he just had to have), and that some places are wary of non-locals adopting, or having policies adopting only to local families. Where I've lived, you have to have local ID to adopt a pet from a government shelter. It was Dan's comment about, well, WE (my emphasis) adopt southern animals all the time, so why would they question you? It wasn't in the context of a local place looking to locals to adopt:" I hear about dogs from Southern states being adopted by those in the Northeast all the time, so I'm surprised to see that the rescue group was reluctant to let you adopt. " Like northerners should be above suspicion or applications. Now, if he had said, hey I'm a dog lover and I can see why a local shelter would screen someone from another state, I wouldn't have given it another thought.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We hear from shelters and rescue groups, in both northern and southern states, that many dogs are shipped to the northeast and Great Lakes states from places like Tennessee and West Virginia. Very often there are limited shelter facilities in these regions, and many dogs end up being euthenized. In contrast, most NE/GL urban shelters are no-kill, and there is a higher demand for dogs in these regions, making adoption more of a possibility. Even our girl was still with her prior owners up until the day before her adoption, simply because there was no shelter in the county and there are only two foster families in the rescue group that saved her. Our other dog was also transported from Tennessee as a puppy, along with two brothers and a sister.

Whether or not adopters get screened is up to each organization. The Humane Society in Wisconsin only does an application, whereas in Madison you need a more thorough check and a home visit. Home visits are common with most of the rescue organizations. We had to have a home visit by a rescue here. The woman who did it was angry that they would make it so difficult for us to adopt. Her comment was that they are constantly raising funds to rescue dogs from West Virginia and she thought they were nuts for not wanting to give this dog to a couple who were willing to take her on and pay all of the costs.

The main objection most rescue organizations have is that if the dog does not work out for some reason, they want to take it back, rather than have it in a bad situation, or perhaps given to another shelter or euthenized. Even after we agreed to pay any costs to return her, the rescue group refused. It was only because three people intervened that we got her. Since the rescue group had not taken possession, they got her into another program where the staff could make the adoption happen.

Cocoa is doing very well. She is a sweet girl and very eager to please and be loved on. She is still scared and very timid. She has begun to play with Luke a bit, but not to the degree he would like. There is no doubt, though, that we are her forever family.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    I agree with Cardinal about the lack of shelters (especially no-kill ones), rescue groups, and foster homes in some southern states, most notably West Virginia and Tennessee versus the same in the NE and Great Lakes. Sometimes, though, the need is simply greater in parts of the South: numerous rescues/shelters in the NE/GL have taken in canine survivors of Katrina and other hurricanes as well as the devasting tornadoes last year in Alabama and Missouri.

Registered
    Feb 2011
    Click image for larger version

Name:	075.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	4964 Mine's a Bichon..."Benjamin" was on the run in the 'Beaches' neighbourhood in Toronto for 2 weeks before the humane society caught up with him. His hair was all matted and he was beat up pretty bad. No hair matted now LOL.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Hot dogs
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 41
    Last post: 14 Apr 2014, 3:52 PM
  2. Replies: 29
    Last post: 01 Mar 2012, 7:41 PM
  3. HOT DOGS...Get your hot dogs here!!!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5