Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Teh 2012 London Olympic Games thread

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Teh 2012 London Olympic Games thread

If the opening ceremonies aren't the stupidest thing I've ever watched....I don't know what is. I think I'm going to the hot tub to half-drown myself and then to bed. I'm embarrassed for my mother's homeland.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Sep 1999
    It's way over done. Over an hour in, and no athletes. We'll be asleep before the teams show up. I'mstill hoping to see Paul McCartney, if he's there.

Oh, a rapper. I am sure the Queen loves that! My god. I'll last one more minute before I throw up and turn off the t.v. What a f*cking t.v. aberration; rappers at the Olympics??? The Queen should kill the director. Rappers are hell on earth, like Voldemort.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    March of Nations is still going on. The North Korean contingent had one woman smiling and the camera never strayed from her. All the others looked about as happy as if they'd been told their families were being sent to the gulag.

My favorites were the four 'Independent Olympians' not affiliated with any nation. They were jamming out to the music and high fiving people as they walked along! They had no one to impress or embarass

After looking at some of those Scandanavian flag-bearers, one word comes to mind - procreation.

Coolest national costume - a close one, but I have to go with Mongolia

I would estimate that half the people marching had a camera or video recording device in hand.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001

Way off topic

Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Off-topic:
    When I was growing up, we had this old globe. It probably dated from the early 1950's or late '40s. My mom, born and raised in the old country (England), would say, "See all that pink? That used to be ours." The "pink" indicated all the colonies and territories under the Crown. Those were the days.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Seeing Muhammad Ali made me sad.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I didn't watch the opening ceremonies. From the comments above, I'm thinking that I wasted my time much more productively than y'all.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jan 2005
    The Opening Ceremonies are what the home country gets for spending billions of dollars. One big ad for tourism. The Olympics are really just one large orgy. That with some athletic competitions in between.

Add the fact that you can't even watch half the competitions, and you really have just a glorified swim, gymnastic, and track meet. Not that I mind, but I sure would like to watch archery or some of the other sports we never get to see...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    I didn't watch the opening ceremonies. From the comments above, I'm thinking that I wasted my time much more productively than y'all.
    If you're getting "busy" during the opening ceremonies, I wouldn't consider that wasting time. But that's just me talking.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I'll get this out of the way, since it's something you see on EVERY message board EVERY time the Olympics comes around.

"Why can't NBC cover some of the more obscure sports like (futbol/dressage/synchronized swimming/biathlon)?"
    "Why does NBC focus so much on sports that Americans are participating in?"
    "Why does NBC run so many glurge stories about American athletes?"
    "Coverage on Canadian television is so much better."

Christ, NBC just can't live down their Atlanta coverage, can they?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    I'll get this out of the way, since it's something you see on EVERY message board EVERY time the Olympics comes around.

"Why can't NBC cover some of the more obscure sports like (futbol/dressage/synchronized swimming/biathlon)?"
    "Why does NBC focus so much on sports that Americans are participating in?"
    "Why does NBC run so many glurge stories about American athletes?"
    "Coverage on Canadian television is so much better."

Christ, NBC just can't live down their Atlanta coverage, can they?
    Dressage? What do they want to see, Ann Romney's dang horse?

BTW, we're old and RJ gets up really early. We went to sleep during the "B" countries.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I watched it from beginning to end. I enjoyed the march of the athletes, just listening to the hasty comments from notes. If aliens were watching they were probably wondering why Earth has so many different countries. Back on Zylar there are just two countries....."Haves" and "Have Nots". The "Haves" pilot the rockets, the "Have Nots" take out the trash and empty the on-board latrines (heads).

Yes, the show is greatly over-produced.
    _____

Mr. Phelps should have placed a "fatty" on the edge of the pool, finish line. He sucked today.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I met her magesty in 1978 and I tell you Bob she is one nice lady.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    The NBC commentary during the opening ceremony was dreadful. During the inane interview with Michael Phelps THIS is what they weren't showing which was a beautiful tribute to the 7/7/05 terrorist attack victims.

Did you know that this is the first Olympics where every country sent at least one woman athlete?
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2001
    If there is a better spectator sport than women's beach volleyball, I don't know what it is--maybe the women's gymnastics floor dancing thingy. Tight. Thrilling.

I'll probably get in trouble for that comment.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Dressage? What do they want to see, Ann Romney's dang horse?

BTW, we're old and RJ gets up really early. We went to sleep during the "B" countries.
    Ha! We beat you! We made it to Ethiopia.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    The parents of the female gymnasts should be sedated. They look like they're going to stroke out.

Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    If there is a better spectator sport than women's beach volleyball, I don't know what it is--maybe the women's gymnastics floor dancing thingy. Tight. Thrilling.

I'll probably get in trouble for that comment.
    Yeah, I'm working on your punishment. Is there men's beach volleyball, and when is it on?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    My wife is an opening ceremonies junkie. She even hooked the computer up to the TV and piped in the live feed from the BBC earlier in the day so she could see more of it. I just do not care at all for all that pageantry. Way too over the top. If I walked through the room when she was watching the parade of nations, I would stick around for a few minutes because I do enjoy that part... and I will admit to enjoying Mr. Bean's little skit.

As for the sports, I always tell myself that I don't care about them either - if the sports were interesting they would be stuff we would want to watch all year long every year. The fact that I can barely convince myself to sit through 5 minutes of them every four years should show just how stupid I think they are. But like I said, that's just what I tell myself. In reality, every time I flip through, I end up watching much more of it that I planned. Case in point - the 45 minutes worth of women's archery that had me glued to the screen while my daughter was taking a nap yesterday.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2005
    I'm usually an Olympics junkie. But this is the first Olympics that I can remember where I don't feel inclined to watch anything. We had the Opening Ceremony on the TV Friday night, but were busy doing other things.

The tape delay is one thing, but combined with social media, it goes to another level of finding out the results before you watch it.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I'm usually an Olympics junkie. But this is the first Olympics that I can remember where I don't feel inclined to watch anything. We had the Opening Ceremony on the TV Friday night, but were busy doing other things.

The tape delay is one thing, but combined with social media, it goes to another level of finding out the results before you watch it.
    I would not call myself a junkie but once upon a time I did enjoy the Olypmics. I did watch over the weekend and I was bored...even swimming or beach volleyball did not hold my interest. I think I watched more "Storage Wars," "Chopped," and "Auction Kings" than I did the Games.

I did watch most of the Great Britain/UAE soccer match and was wondering how many people in the US actually know the difference between GB and England.

I have never been much of a fan of the opening cermonies except for the parade of nations...its like a college bowl game parade in a circle.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Every time, I say I won't watch, but I just can't resist some of the summer stuff (diving, swimming, track and field) and the winter (skating, skiing). I am just perpetually annoyed that the network showing the Olympics spends more time on commentary than on performance. We only see the top athletes, so we're innured to expect perfection! And that's just not right.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Every time, I say I won't watch, but I just can't resist some of the summer stuff (diving, swimming, track and field) and the winter (skating, skiing). I am just perpetually annoyed that the network showing the Olympics spends more time on commentary than on performance. We only see the top athletes, so we're innured to expect perfection! And that's just not right.
    Heard a commentator say that people who watch sports will watch anyway so they market to the people who aren't usually interested. That means going heavy on the human interest drivel.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Heard a commentator say that people who watch sports will watch anyway so they market to the people who aren't usually interested. That means going heavy on the human interest drivel.
    I'm not much on "drivel". At least I know who most of the athletes are before the Olympics. And I'm not a normal sports fan (I only watch the SF Giants because of RJ...). But there is the female contingent who won't watch a lot of sports, like me, but find certain OLympics stuff compelling.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I'm pretty convinced that most swimmers are dumb. Lochte is fast but gives a horrible interview and comes across as a dumb jock. And what's with the diamond "grillz", please kid, you're at the Olympics don't make a scene of yourself and your country.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The official Olympics website is pretty cool. You can look up info listed by sport, events, athletes, dates, and countries.

Go Burkina Faso!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 24
    Last post: 17 Jun 2011, 3:41 PM
  2. London 2012 Olympics logo
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 08 Jun 2007, 8:29 AM
  3. Replies: 86
    Last post: 13 Jul 2005, 8:02 AM
  4. Replies: 24