Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Teh 2012 London Olympic Games thread

Registered
    May 2005
    I don’t have pay TV and am so frustrated that NBC won’t allow one to watch any past event on their site unless they sign in and verify which pay TV service they have. There are a number of events I would like to watch that are broadcast at ungodly hours. I don’t have tivo or anything like that – just regular tv. Now I feel like I am being punished. Curse you NBC!

And I have taken to largely watching the coverage with the sound off. The commentary can be so awful – its embarrassing! Costas actually said – during the parade of nations at the opening ceremony – “There’s Uganda. Winston Churchill once called it the Pearl of Africa. Guess he never met Idid Amin!” WTF!? First of all, no he didn’t. Because he was DEAD by 1965. Idid Amin came to power in 1971. Secondly, it’s the Olympics and the parade of nations (or whatever they call it). These countries are putting their best face forward and trying to project the best of who they are. And then to say something like that. Its just rude. Show some respect. These athletes worked really hard to get to this level of performance!

I pick on the Uganda comments, but there were others as well.

“There’s Italy. People say its beautiful, but man, that Musolini – what an arse! Oh! And there goes India. So much squalor! Do you think they’ll ever stop reproducing?” Disclaimer: Costas did not actually say these things…

All that being said, I have watched some of the swimming and gymnastics, but really enjoyed the men’s and women’s road races – very exciting! I’m gonna check out the official site. Maybe it will improve my attitude.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    I don’t have pay TV and am so frustrated that NBC won’t allow one to watch any past event on their site unless they sign in and verify which pay TV service they have. There are a number of events I would like to watch that are broadcast at ungodly hours. I don’t have tivo or anything like that – just regular tv. Now I feel like I am being punished. Curse you NBC!
    Ran into this problem this morning wanting to stream US v North Korea. It said my satellite provider subscription did not allow me to stream (i.e. i had to pony up to the 250 channel plan).

Solution. Screw NBC.. hello BBC
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    And I have taken to largely watching the coverage with the sound off. The commentary can be so awful – its embarrassing! Costas actually said – during the parade of nations at the opening ceremony – “There’s Uganda. Winston Churchill once called it the Pearl of Africa. Guess he never met Idid Amin!” WTF!? First of all, no he didn’t. Because he was DEAD by 1965. Idid Amin came to power in 1971. Secondly, it’s the Olympics and the parade of nations (or whatever they call it). These countries are putting their best face forward and trying to project the best of who they are. And then to say something like that. Its just rude. Show some respect. These athletes worked really hard to get to this level of performance!
    I wonder if some of these third-world nations have their own Olympic coverage. I can only imagine how horrible it would be to have to watch a translated version of that assbag Bob Costas just completely disrespecting your country.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    I wonder if some of these third-world nations have their own Olympic coverage. I can only imagine how horrible it would be to have to watch a translated version of that assbag Bob Costas just completely disrespecting your country.
    Notice how dark his hair has gotten? He must have inherited his genes from Dick Clark.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2004
    I can only imagine how horrible it would be to have to watch a translated version of that assbag Bob Costas just completely disrespecting your country.
    USA! USA! USA!

Seriously, Costas is sucha snarky little weasel. He has a great broadcasting voice, but I'm not sure he has much else going for him.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Well, it's not just us.

http://www.bandt.com.au/news/media/n...lympic-bashing

Channel Nine has been criticized for its Olympic coverage, with complaints centering on the dominance of swimming over other sports and the heavy promotion of its upcoming shows during ad breaks.

Angry viewers have taken to social media to vent their frustrations. A picture message on Nine’s own Facebook page said: “I love Channel 9’s Olympic coverage… said no one ever”. While another said: “I got eight Olympic channels and Channel Nine aint one”, a reference to Foxtel’s eight channels showing Olympic events.

[snip]

Melissa McCracken wrote on Channel Nine’s Facebook page: “What about showing the diving, gymnastics, archery, table tennis, synchranized swimming. Stop showing just the swimming and repeating the same stuff over and over. Crap coverage Channel 9. Absolute crap.”

While Angela Robinson wrote: “Pick up ur act channel 9!! Worst coverage I've seen and so many bloody commercials and to boot are not allowing other networks to show highlights!! Disgraceful!!”

[snip]

Another comment read: “So much slow motion promo and interviews and not enough actual sports!- thanks Channel 9!”

In 2008 the Seven Network was also blasted for its coverage of the Beijing Olympics, with furious viewers complaining there was too much taped events being shown and not enough live action.

Ratings for Nine’s Olympic coverage, which are only into the fourth day, have been lower when compared to previous Olympics, due in part to the unfriendly timezone. Last night an average audience of 1.819 million tuned into the early evening coverage with 1.514 million watching its evening programme.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004

The seedy underside of Olympic badminton

So now teams are intentionally throwing matches to get better spots in their round robin format
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Pro tip... msnbc.com, now nbcnews.com does NOT do a good job hiding the Olympic results even though NBC has been trying so hard to keep results a secret until their primetime coverage. Case in point, the women's gymnastics were spoiled in huge font and a picture of Team USA wearing gold at 12:30 pm yesterday afternoon, nearly 10 hours before the results were broadcast on TV. I avoided cnn.com and other news sources during the Olympics thinking they would have the results plastered all over their site. You would think that NBC would at least move the results to a bit lower on the page. /RANT

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    So now teams are intentionally throwing matches to get better spots in their round robin format
    That is sad... it is no longer about doing your best. I hope it send a message to other teams and other sports.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jan 2005
    What's up with that female Chinese swimmer who bested Ryan Lochte's time?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    What's up with that female Chinese swimmer who bested Ryan Lochte's time?
    She will be found to be either:

A.) A drug cheat (which is much more likely)
    B.) Actually 37 years old.

I don't have any issue with someone getting better when they are racing people, especially in the Olympics. But beating your best time by 5 seconds and bettering everyone else in the race by over 2 seconds.... there is something fishy going on.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I don't have any issue with someone getting better when they are racing people, especially in the Olympics. But beating your best time by 5 seconds and bettering everyone else in the race by over 2 seconds.... there is something fishy going on.
    Those margins are especially suspicious considering the difference between winners, losers, and records in that event at this level of competition are typically measured in tenths of seconds. Reminds me of the type of records we used to see broken during the height of the Cold War by East German 'women' in various events. (and for the record I'd say the same thing if it was an American who broke a record by that kind of margin too)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    Ha! We beat you! We made it to Ethiopia.
    We have a game for this; everyone guesses how many athletes the next country coming in has and the person with the furthest guess has to drink an ounce of beer.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    The 'Merican team just came in 4th in the 8-man rowing medal race...there's your update for now.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Those margins are especially suspicious considering the difference between winners, losers, and records in that event at this level of competition are typically measured in tenths of seconds. Reminds me of the type of records we used to see broken during the height of the Cold War by East German 'women' in various events. (and for the record I'd say the same thing if it was an American who broke a record by that kind of margin too)
    There was an interesting article in The Guardian yesterday that pointed out she was a second behind the American going into the free style and finished three seconds ahead of the American, which a British expert pointed out to be improbable. Most swimmers do six kicks per arm stroke and she was doing eight which is extremely difficult to do in just the free, but after swimming the other three major strokes? Dubious. Yes, she's 16 and huge improvements are capable in the 15-16 age group, and her tests have all been clean, but I remain skeptical. And, as others have said,I would be skeptical wherever she came from...
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Clever billboard wins gold medal for Olympics advertising

http://blog.sfgate.com/olympics/2012...s-advertising/

Registered
    Sep 1999
    This "same day tape" is always so confusing. You read someone won something, but they're in multiple events, so if you see it later on t.v. is it new or the other one you heard about? Well, who can, for example, keep track of all the swimming-type events?

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I'm usually an Olympics junkie. But this is the first Olympics that I can remember where I don't feel inclined to watch anything. We had the Opening Ceremony on the TV Friday night, but were busy doing other things.

The tape delay is one thing, but combined with social media, it goes to another level of finding out the results before you watch it.
    I finally watched some the last two nights. Even though I knew the results, it was still fun. It's hard not to feel excited for the athletes, who have trained so damn hard to get where they are.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    My wife's cousin's fiancee won a silver medal this morning in the Women's Eight rowing competition.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    My wife's cousin's fiancee won a silver medal this morning in the Women's Eight rowing competition.
    Do they get pieces of eight for medals?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Do they get pieces of eight for medals?
    I remember seeing a film about the Olympics years ago called Visions of Eight.

Other than Chariots of Fire, does anyone recall any other movies about the Olympics?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Other than Chariots of Fire, does anyone recall any other movies about the Olympics?
    Blades of Glory - a lovely Will Farrell movie from 2007.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jan 2005

The ice skating movie... with Emilio Estevez... you know... "toe pick"...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2005
    I believe that was D.B. Sweeney.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I'm so ashamed of myself...but I am compelled to tell you it is "The Cutting Edge" and it's not Emilio Estevez it's DB Sweeney. "toe pick".

edit: btrage beat me to the shame by seconds!
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 24
    Last post: 17 Jun 2011, 3:41 PM
  2. London 2012 Olympics logo
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 08 Jun 2007, 8:29 AM
  3. Replies: 86
    Last post: 13 Jul 2005, 8:02 AM
  4. Replies: 24