Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The First 2016 Presidential Election Thread

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jswanek View post
    I think his supporters would almost demand it, pegging any loss on racist hate.
    Pretty sure they would need to blame the economy first.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Pretty sure they would need to blame the economy first.
    The economy is racist?
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    The economy is racist?
    The economy only likes green.

"I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    You people all have far too much time on your hands...
    What is your read on the next Canadian federal election, whenever it does come up?

Anyways, assuming that Romney does not win this year, I would not at all discount two fellow Wisconsinites on the 'R' side for what (likely) will be an open office in 2016 - USHouse Rep. Paul Ryan (R - WI-1) and Governor Scott Walker.

Mike

Registered
    May 2005
    We should probably just delete this thread.

I mean, once Mitt Romney becomes President, there will be no need for an election in 2016.

Mitt the Savior has arrived. It will become even better when Paul Ryan resigns only to have Gary Johnson appointed as the next VP.

It is what the founding fathers intended. And I know what they intended because the books tell me.

I can't wait for the glorious day to arrive.

Registered
    Oct 2009
    The liberals are rigging the polling machines, so America won't have it's comeback.

That said, I could see Chris Christie and maybe Jeb Bush vying for 2016. This is just my arbitrary guess though.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dw914er View post
    The liberals are rigging the polling machines, so America won't have it's comeback.

That said, I could see Chris Christie and maybe Jeb Bush vying for 2016. This is just my arbitrary guess though.
    Christie might have just killed his chances by focusing on the hurricane instead of bashing Obama. The right-wing machine is livid right now that he was more concerned with helping his state than defeating Obama.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Really hard to say what the GOP will look like in 2016, even if Romney gets elected. Changing demographics will slowly kill the party if things remain unchanged. Their stance on social issues and immigration will have to change if they want to have any hope of courting young and Hispanic voters.

With that said, if the party becomes more moderate, I think Christie has a really good shot in 2016. If the status quo is maintained in the GOP, I don't think he has a chance. He'd have a good shot in the general election (like Huntsman) but good luck in the primaries.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    Really hard to say what the GOP will look like in 2016, even if Romney gets elected. Changing demographics will slowly kill the party if things remain unchanged. Their stance on social issues and immigration will have to change if they want to have any hope of courting young and Hispanic voters.

With that said, if the party becomes more moderate, I think Christie has a really good shot in 2016. If the status quo is maintained in the GOP, I don't think he has a chance. He'd have a good shot in the general election (like Huntsman) but good luck in the primaries.
    I think if the party swings back to a more moderate stance on social issues, you may see Bloomberg emerge as well.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Sounds like Bloomberg's goal after he leaves office is to fight the NRA's influence. If that holds true, he'd have no chance in the Republican party.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Anybody getting ahead of themselves here ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Anybody getting ahead of themselves here ?
    No. We're not. The 2016 election will be crucial for the survival of the 1%. You should worry more about the 1% JNA. I'm thoroughly disappointed in you.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post

If Romney loses (and I think he will), the GOP in all likelihood will realize they need a bigger tent (a very Reagan-esque concept) in order to compete going into the future, and this is also contingent on the GOP doing something about their loonies that are running around trying to do crazy shit redefine rape. I kind of hope Huntsman makes a return appearance in 2016--I really like him and I think independent voters would flock to him. A Christie/Huntsman ticket in either order would be interesting.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 2009
    No. We're not. The 2016 election will be crucial for the survival of the 1%. You should worry more about the 1% JNA. I'm thoroughly disappointed in you.
    “If I hear anybody say it was because Romney wasn’t conservative enough I’m going to go nuts,” said Graham. “We’re not losing 95 percent of African-Americans and two-thirds of Hispanics and voters under 30 because we’re not being hard-ass enough.”
    Earlier he said the demographics aren't there for the future. IMHO Koch knew this when he bankrolled the TeaBaggers. Nevertheless, I'm not 100% certain FIRE needs the GOP to continue to be relevant - after all, BHO didn't put anybody in jail for tanking the world economy. And he should have.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    An early GOP front runner for 2016 has emerged!

Let's go to the videotape...

Registered
    May 2005
    I follow Chris Christie on Twitter. Not sure if he's the one who is actually tweeting, but he's a pretty funny guy. I think the GOP could do a lot worse than this guy.

I don't think the GOP is going to change their political positions though. They'll just nominate someone like Rubio to try and siphon off enough of the Hispanic vote to win.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    I follow Chris Christie on Twitter. Not sure if he's the one who is actually tweeting, but he's a pretty funny guy. I think the GOP could do a lot worse than this guy.

I don't think the GOP is going to change their political positions though. They'll just nominate someone like Rubio to try and siphon off enough of the Hispanic vote to win.
    Hard to say what will happen - esp if a miracle happens and Obama actually makes Republicans pay a political price for their shenanigans. But at this point I like Christie and Paul (if Paul gets the nod, though, he is the easiest one to beat at this point). Not sure whether Rubio is a valid choice. I don't see a deep bench to look down to make a call past Christie.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    What do you think Ryan's chances are? Is he still viable or damaged goods from an election the R;s would just as soon forget about? On the flip side, who is going to follow Obama for the D's?
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I don't think Ryan is damaged goods but he could very well become so if the party becomes more moderate. He's got a long paper trail that would be very difficult to escape from. He wouldn't be able to hide behind a moderate if he's at the top of the ticket.

As for the Democrats, Biden and Clinton are definitely options but personally I think they're too old. So I think O'Malley or Cuomo will lead the pack. Although you could get some dark horse in there like Cory Booker that came out of no where just like Obama.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I think Ryan is definitely damaged goods with the stink of a failed run as VP on him. However, if a Republican were to win the White House in 2016, I could easily see him getting appointed to head up the OMB or some other budgetary position.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Huntsman was just getting his name out there and some experience this time around and that he makes more of an effort in 2016. He is the only Republican currently in the picture who I could see myself voting for any time soon.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I think Ryan is definitely damaged goods with the stink of a failed run as VP on him. However, if a Republican were to win the White House in 2016, I could easily see him getting appointed to head up the OMB or some other budgetary position.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Huntsman was just getting his name out there and some experience this time around and that he makes more of an effort in 2016. He is the only Republican currently in the picture who I could see myself voting for any time soon.
    He is tainted from his war on th' gummint in WI - he lost a large share of voters in his reelection. And his Rand-toting will make him easily beatable nationally. I'm willing to accept Huntsman as well, but he'll need to go to the doctor for a charisma transplant to be viable nationally.
    -------

Registered
    May 2005
    I'm hearing Rand Paul speak out on a lot more topics lately. First his comments about Texas turning Blue. Then him making comments about Hillary's comments regarding Lewinski.

I think Paul is going to push really hard for the nomination and I think he has a decent shot.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I'm hearing Rand Paul speak out on a lot more topics lately. First his comments about Texas turning Blue. Then him making comments about Hillary's comments regarding Lewinski.

I think Paul is going to push really hard for the nomination and I think he has a decent shot.
    I think his smaller government, remove the Fed quotes will end his chances. Even the establishment R's know that you can't speak ill of wall street or K street. Money will be tough for him to get unless the Koch's decide to completely support his, which they won't do since they will be pushing multiple people.

I think he is a solid 3rd though...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004

I think what Rand said said in the past will come back and bite him. Plus, he really needs to drop the whole Monica Lewinsky thing.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2005

Rand Paul

Another article about Paul.

I know it's still early and a lot of people don't think he could get the nomination, but if not him, then who? Do people really think Huntsman is a viable candidate with this GOP makeup?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/12/politi...html?hpt=hp_t3

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1724
    Last post: 12 Dec 2012, 10:27 AM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last post: 17 Jun 2011, 4:41 PM
  3. Replies: 1638
    Last post: 17 Nov 2008, 1:33 PM
  4. Replies: 62
    Last post: 05 Mar 2008, 3:44 PM