Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Cicada Killers are rampant here in the midwest

Registered
    Feb 2006

Cicada Killers are rampant here in the midwest

I have never seen anything like this year. For some reason this drought has brought them out big time.

Another weird note. I am seeing Box Elder Bugs in 95 degree heat. I find that a little odd.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Hawkeye66 View post
    I have never seen anything like this year. For some reason this drought has brought them out big time.

Another weird note. I am seeing Box Elder Bugs in 95 degree heat. I find that a little odd.
    Had never seen Cicada Killers until we moved to Texas. They're scary because of their size but not aggressive.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Hawkeye66 View post

I have yet to see a cicada killer in my neck of the woods but a friend's neighborhood about 20 miles east is rampant with them this year. He had very good luck getting rid of them from his yard by finding their burrows and pouring boiling water down them in the evenings around dusk. He didn't like my suggestion of homemade napalm.

As for the box elder bugs... They have been a constant problem at my house since we moved in a few years ago but are even worse this year.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2005
    Back at our place in West Michigan, we noticed the Cicada Killers burrowing in our front yard the last few years.

We would flood their burows with water, but never tried the hot water. We were usually fairly succesful in making them go away.

Haven't seen them at our new place on the east side of Metro Detroit.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    We've got cicada killers around here. They're big and scary looking but like ofos mentioned, not very aggressive.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Never heard of the bug!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Never heard of the bug!
    Me, either. I looked them up here: Cicada Killers. They're a kind of wasp.

Of course, we don't a lot of cicadas here either.
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    No cicadas around where I live. Just crickets and frogs at night. The fireflies peak in late JUne and early July; they're mostly gone now.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 2005
    I had a ton of those in my yard growing up in PA (and cicadas). I don't know anyone who has been stung and don't even know if they do/can. But as a kid, they looked pretty frightening. Between those and the yellow jackets, mowing the lawn was a dreaded experience. It was cool to watch the cicada killers bumble down out of the trees holding a cicada and drag it into its underground lair, though!

We never tried to get rid of them. It was a big yard and they weren't causing problems. But my father used to get rid of yellow jackets the old fashioned way - pour gasoline down their holes. Later, when I was a little older, a friend and I would do that - and then drop a match down there! Its amazing I have as few scars as I do...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    I had a ton of those in my yard growing up in PA (and cicadas). I don't know anyone who has been stung and don't even know if they do/can. But as a kid, they looked pretty frightening. Between those and the yellow jackets, mowing the lawn was a dreaded experience. It was cool to watch the cicada killers bumble down out of the trees holding a cicada and drag it into its underground lair, though!

We never tried to get rid of them. It was a big yard and they weren't causing problems. But my father used to get rid of yellow jackets the old fashioned way - pour gasoline down their holes. Later, when I was a little older, a friend and I would do that - and then drop a match down there! Its amazing I have as few scars as I do...
    That's the "traditional" (ie, redneck) way of getting rid of anthills as well, especially the big ones in abandoned farm fields that form hummocks. Sometimes I wonder how any of the kids in my family and rural neighborhood survived adolescence ... we did some really stupid, dangerous stuff!
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Registered
    Feb 2006
    Im thinking its because the ground is so dry this year it may make for good conditions for them.

Interesting note on fireflys. As a kid growing up here in Iowa I can remember them being thick in August. This year, we have almost no bugs. The drought is taking its toll on everything.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Linda_D View post
    That's the "traditional" (ie, redneck) way of getting rid of anthills as well, especially the big ones in abandoned farm fields that form hummocks. Sometimes I wonder how any of the kids in my family and rural neighborhood survived adolescence ... we did some really stupid, dangerous stuff!
    Yeah, my father grew up in rural oklahoma, so if he wasn't pouring gas down yellow jacket holes, he was shooting rabbits with a .22 (which I still have - 1937 Winchester!) or "jigging" frogs with a pointed stick, stuffing them in a pillow case and bringing them home to eat.

But even in my suburban youth, we broke bottles with slingshots on the RR tracks, burned anthills with molten plastic and threw stolen Xmas lights under moving cars to hear them pop. I don't even want to admit what I did with my bb gun... Ah, the dangerous days of youth!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Enlighten this west coast/east coast guy:

Why kill cicada killers? Do they have bad table manners? Talk loudly on their cell phones?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Gotta Speakup View post
    Enlighten this west coast/east coast guy:

Why kill cicada killers? Do they have bad table manners? Talk loudly on their cell phones?
    People kill cicada killers because they're large, scary looking wasps. But they shouldn't because they aren't aggressive and only prey on cicadas. If you've got a lot of cicadas, you have a lot of cicada grubs in your lawn. Don't want grubs in your lawn, don't kill the cicada killers. Of course you can nuke your lawn to eliminate grubs and you won't have cicada killers but I don't recommend that.

Maybe if they talk on their cell phones long enough, they will die on their own?

I was in Washington DC during a 17 year cicada event. They were kind of scary, themselves.

Thanks for educating me.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Gotta Speakup View post
    Maybe if they talk on their cell phones long enough, they will die on their own?

I was in Washington DC during a 17 year cicada event. They were kind of scary, themselves.

Thanks for educating me.
    Maybe if somebody will make the movie, "Attack of the Killer Cicadas", cicada killers will get their proper respect, just as vampire and zombie killers have.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Jul 2012, 1:45 PM
  2. Hello from the rural midwest
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 29 Jul 2007, 9:05 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 23 Nov 2005, 1:26 PM
  4. Tips- Midwest