Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: MLS and the State of American Soccer

  1. #1
    Cyburbian Hawkeye66's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Heartland of America
    Posts
    253

    MLS and the State of American Soccer

    I watched the Galaxy get smoked by Real Madrid last night and although that turned out bad, I think its important for US Clubs to play these games. I think Klinsmann's strategy of doing it for the US Mens team is great too. It can do nothing but help. I think we are on the cusp of having a club who can compete internationally.

  2. #2
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    10,870
    Quote Originally posted by Hawkeye66 View post
    I watched the Galaxy get smoked by Real Madrid last night and although that turned out bad, I think its important for US Clubs to play these games. I think Klinsmann's strategy of doing it for the US Mens team is great too. It can do nothing but help. I think we are on the cusp of having a club who can compete internationally.
    I think the problem is that the money is not here.... and it most likely won't ever be. Although we have some interest in the U.S. it is nothing compared to overseas. Our players are playing more and more in the Premier league and other top level leagues, which will continue to have our National Team compete... but I don't see the MLS competing ever with the Premier League, La Liga, or any other top flight league.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  3. #3
    Cyburbian Hawkeye66's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Heartland of America
    Posts
    253
    Perhaps, but the MLS has been well run in my opinion and has had slow steady improvement as a league. The crowds and money are getting better. Look at Portland and Seattle. I think its possible the MLS will move past the NHL at some point.

  4. #4
    Cyburbian Raf's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    Location
    As far south of SoCal as I Will Go
    Posts
    5,331
    Quote Originally posted by Hawkeye66 View post
    Perhaps, but the MLS has been well run in my opinion and has had slow steady improvement as a league. The crowds and money are getting better. Look at Portland and Seattle. I think its possible the MLS will move past the NHL at some point.
    I agree with Hink. The money is just not there. La Liga, Primer Legue, Bondus League have NFL type money and lucrative TV contracts that give them the ability to supply their leagues with top dollar stars. Portland and Seattle are bright spots for the league, but the stadium sizes, revenue from team appeal pale in comparison to say Real Madrid, Mann U, Beyer, and other top teams.

    It will be hard to grow this sport in the states with already top "international leagues" such as the NBA, NHL, and MLB (i don't count american football because it isn't played internationally to a level that the league imports players from other countries) to the level necessary to drop the top stars from Europe, South America and Africa.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

  5. #5
    maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Location
    Odd-a-wah
    Posts
    6,586
    Even in Europe the Premier League, La Liga, Serie A and Bundes league dominate pretty much everything else. Just look at the state of the leagues in smaller countries - it's pretty much crap, and they (right now) have a larger talent pool and footballing tradition to draw on. Most Euro leagues (even the big ones) are dominated by 1-4 really good teams, the rest are pretty much cannon fodder. MLS is much more competitive, even though the overall quality of play is less (I'd put it on par with English Championship league football right now).

    I think MLS can and will be successful and it doesn't need to compete with those leagues. At least now good development players have a place to play professionally - that will lead eventually to a huge improvement in the calibre of North American soccer.

  6. #6
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    7,606
    I like the way the MLS has steadily gained support over the last few years. They haven't gone stupid with expansions and several teams have 'purpose built' stadiums. I don't think it will evr be on the same level of the Premiership, La Liga, etc., but I think we could play on the same level and even win regularly with the Scottish Premier, Portugal, French, top flight leagues and possibly the Dutch League too.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  7. #7
    Cyburbian Brocktoon's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Promoting synergies...
    Posts
    3,558
    The benefit that MLS brings to US soccer is it lets kids that love the game can watch soccer in the states and have a domestic player to look up to and keep them in the sport. Most children stop playing soccer when they get to high school and move on to other sports. With a domestic league that plays at a high level could lead more children down the path of staying with soccer rather than switching to other sports when they get older resulting in a higher caliber of American soccer players...at least that is my hope.

    Although Portland and Seattle are getting the attention many of the clubs also have a passionate fan base. MLS outdraws hockey in most markets and they have similar size stadiums. Granted they play fewer games but the stadiums are rarely in the center city but often in farther out suburbs. MLS has been smart in keeping salaries low but allow for one exemption for an international star like Beckham or Henry. I hope the 20th team does not go to NYC but to another area that has a passionate fanbase.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

  8. #8
    Cyburbian mgk920's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,182
    Well, the MLS All Stars did beat Chelsea 3-2 in the MLS All Star Game a week ago, played at the Philadelphia Union's new purpose-built stadium, located right next to the Commodore Barry Bridge (US 322) in Chester, PA.

    Mike

  9. #9
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    Location
    newark nj
    Posts
    184
    One thing I think the MLS should do is move the field size to FIFA regulation size. The last time I checked, the biggest you could make an MLS field (between the out of bounds lines) was both narrower and shorter than standard FIFA size. Although this allows our teams to have "home field advantage" and design a field to their teams strengths it also makes us look dumb versus international clubs when our field is almost half as long in certain cases. Our players then also don't have to have the same stamina as the international clubs and of course they'll be most likely to out run our players on full field during a full 90 minutes. Outside of that, I love the MLS and I like being so near the Red Bull Stadium.

  10. #10
    Cyburbian Brocktoon's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Promoting synergies...
    Posts
    3,558
    Quote Originally posted by ddomin4360 View post
    One thing I think the MLS should do is move the field size to FIFA regulation size. The last time I checked, the biggest you could make an MLS field (between the out of bounds lines) was both narrower and shorter than standard FIFA size. Although this allows our teams to have "home field advantage" and design a field to their teams strengths it also makes us look dumb versus international clubs when our field is almost half as long in certain cases. Our players then also don't have to have the same stamina as the international clubs and of course they'll be most likely to out run our players on full field during a full 90 minutes. Outside of that, I love the MLS and I like being so near the Red Bull Stadium.
    FIFA requires pitches to be between 100-130 yards long and 50 to 100 yards wide. There is no MLS team who's field does not meet those dimensions. Your standard US football field is 120 yards by 53 yards so even the Sounderswho play in an NFL stadium meet the requirements.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

  11. #11
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    Location
    newark nj
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    FIFA requires pitches to be between 100-130 yards long and 50 to 100 yards wide. There is no MLS team who's field does not meet those dimensions. Your standard US football field is 120 yards by 53 yards so even the Sounderswho play in an NFL stadium meet the requirements.
    Really? Damn, last world cup I read that there was an exact width and length for the pitch. My bad.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. The State Of American Manufacturing
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 83
    Last post: 26 Jun 2012, 11:08 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 28 Oct 2010, 4:46 PM
  3. First Time Soccer Coach
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 28 Jan 2008, 8:46 PM
  4. Should USA Soccer Rules Change?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 26 Jun 2006, 1:59 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last post: 28 Dec 2005, 5:52 PM