Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Internship leads NYC area

Registered
    Jul 2012

Internship leads NYC area

Hi cyburbians! I'm a rising senior at NYU, I am in a liberal arts program but I am most interested in urban, for lack of a better word, stuff. Anyway, if anyone has any leads on internships in the NYC area I'd greatly appreciate the direction/advice. Just organizations/companies to think about. I am more interested in the policy side, so government postions or NGO's would probably be a better fit. Thanks!

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by strig View post
    Hi cyburbians! I'm a rising senior at NYU, I am in a liberal arts program but I am most interested in urban, for lack of a better word, stuff. Anyway, if anyone has any leads on internships in the NYC area I'd greatly appreciate the direction/advice. Just organizations/companies to think about. I am more interested in the policy side, so government postions or NGO's would probably be a better fit. Thanks!
    In the planning profession these days, "internships" are excuses not to pay benefits to trained, experienced people to do work for which there is no budget and the staff can no longer handle additional workload. That is: most advertisements for "internships" are looking for someone laid off and looking for anything to do. So. You want to look specifically for an ad that wants a college kid with no experience, if those ads exist any more, or use the network you created to find such a position (if one exists).
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2010
    Yeah...

NYC is an extremely competitive market for unpaid policy/planning positions. You'll be up against people with PhDs and multiple other graduate degrees and far more work experience than you. On the bright side, these are the same people who couldn't get hired as a Starbucks barista.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by crummmountain View post
    Yeah...

NYC is an extremely competitive market for unpaid policy/planning positions. You'll be up against people with PhDs and multiple other graduate degrees and far more work experience than you. On the bright side, these are the same people who couldn't get hired as a Starbucks barista.
    Well, I don't know about PhDs there buddy, but the NYC market is flooded with recent grads, and has been for many years. If you are mobile and can do an internship or get an entry level job at a smaller metro area then that would be a decent career move. I know how hard it is to move away from a place you love. My only other suggestion is to find a non-profit org that can use all the help they can find that also dabbles in the urban/community planning area.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Apr 2006
    There are a ton of NGO's in NYC. I would identify the ones you are interested in and send them an email or give them a call. I know NYCEDC is always looking for interns. I just typed intership into indeed.com for NYC and got 2,200 results. That is for all fields but I bet you will find a few you are interested in and qualified.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Using a rejection to look for job leads?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 11 Apr 2011, 4:40 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 31 Mar 2011, 10:53 AM
  3. Bay Area internship: tips on getting a chance?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 22 May 2009, 1:50 AM
  4. An internship in Bay Area?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 08 Mar 2004, 4:43 PM
  5. and the sidewalk leads....
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 11 Dec 2003, 9:13 AM