Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Service at a food bank, mission, or similar place.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Service at a food bank, mission, or similar place.

The political thread mentioned something interesting regarding funding and volunteering at soup kitchens and charities. We volunteer at least once a year at a local soup kitchen that is run by our church. As for donations, I had sent contributions to the united way in the past, but once I looked into some of the organizations that they distribute money to, I realized that it was in conflict with my religious beliefs, so now I donate directly to individual organizations that believe what I believe.

What about you? Do you volunteer time, money, or both? How do you decide where to donate?
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    The political thread mentioned something interesting regarding funding and volunteering at soup kitchens and charities. We volunteer at least once a year at a local soup kitchen that is run by our church. As for donations, I had sent contributions to the united way in the past, but once I looked into some of the organizations that they distribute money to, I realized that it was in conflict with my religious beliefs, so now I donate directly to individual organizations that believe what I believe.

What about you? Do you volunteer time, money, or both? How do you decide where to donate?
    I personally worry about just my family. If everyone did that, we wouldn't need acts of charity.

I do give back to my undergrad alma mater.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Our church provides Sunday evening meal to the homeless 3 Sundays a month. One is worked by our youth (high school & middle schoolers), One is worked by a neighboring church and the last is worked by our Missions Committee (which I an a member). My daughter and I work it every other month and she sometimes brings a friend. They enjoy setting out the drinks and serving the desserts.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

I volunteer through a local charity and pick up food donations and deliver them to homes. I have met some very nice people, one of the volunteers that I work with is undergoing chemo, but he still shows up to help. Being unemployed I also volunteer for fund raisers.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. That local specialty food place
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 25 Feb 2012, 11:39 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 Jun 2011, 11:34 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 02 Nov 2005, 5:32 PM
  4. I must be on a mission....
    Friday Afternoon Club