Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Best degree name to use on your resume?

Best degree name to use on your resume?

Hello,

I ask this question because I have seen many degree names for urban planning:

Master of City Planning
    Master of Urban and Regional Planning
    Mater of Community Planning

The later, Community Planning, is what my school the University of Maryland, College Park uses. Albeit a policy oriented program, the PHD program is City and Regional Planning.

So my question is, which one do you think is the best for a resume? Does it matter? Should it be tailored to different types of jobs? I personally don't like the connotation that "community" planning givse, as it sounds too much like a masters in community organizer/events planner or something non technical.

My favorite is Master of City and Urban Planning. Does that look good?

Thoughts?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    What ever it says on your diploma. BTW, how many other threads are you going to post this question?
    Annoyingly insensitive

No, I'll go ahead and put City Planning, and yeah like 56565757 threads.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TomSellecksMustache View post
    Hello,

I ask this question because I have seen many degree names for urban planning:

Master of City Planning
    Master of Urban and Regional Planning
    Mater of Community Planning

The later, Community Planning, is what my school the University of Maryland, College Park uses. Albeit a policy oriented program, the PHD program is City and Regional Planning.

So my question is, which one do you think is the best for a resume? Does it matter? Should it be tailored to different types of jobs? I personally don't like the connotation that "community" planning givse, as it sounds too much like a masters in community organizer/events planner or something non technical.

My favorite is Master of City and Urban Planning. Does that look good?

Thoughts?
    Good question, I'm not sure why there are so many different names for planning degrees. The planning profession is already viewed as obscure enough as it is, and all the different degree naming conventions probably aren't helping.

The school I went to called my degree a Master's of Regional Planning, I think the implication being that "regional" encompasses all places (urban, rural, etc.), but regional planning can also be seen as a sub-field itself within planning.

There's an accreditation body for planning degrees (ACSB, I believe?). Maybe they should insist on a degree name for programs that met their criteria in order to eliminate confusion.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Put whatever is on your diploma. No one really cares about the name of your particular degree, they just care that you have one.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Future UMD student

Tom,

I am a future UMD graduate student. Would you mind emailing me at JRSportfolios@gmail.com so I can ask you a few questions about the program?

Thanks

Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    Put whatever is on your diploma. No one really cares about the name of your particular degree, they just care that you have one.
    Yes. What a strange thread.
    The content contrarian

Registered
    Jan 2013
    If your worried that the name of your degree has some sort of connotation, include a blurb explaining what you studied
    "Master of community planning" - a policy oriented urban planning degree which included theoretical and applied concepts .... Or whatever you did...
    I think that's acceptable to do?

I recently had to decide whether to use the names of courses at my college or the names of those courses after I transferred them to university. To maintain the utmost of transparency I kept the names of the courses as they were when I took them, at the school I took them (this is on my linkedin not my résumé haha). I think the same goes for your degree name. Maintain transparency whenever you consciously can. It's only going to make you look bad if you change the name of your degree on your résumé and the employer discovers that your school doesn't have a "master of city planning"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    It's worth noting that degree names from a school can change over time. It's also all the more reason you should put what is actually on your diploma in the event you get called out over something like that.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    What ever it says on your diploma.
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    We have a motion and a seconded. All those in favor say "aye", does the motion carry ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    We have a motion and a seconded. All those in favor say "aye", does the motion carry ?
    Aye! Don't try to be fancy just write what your degree says. It's like making up your own job titles.

DVD
    Vice president of obvious comments.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    Aye! Don't try to be fancy just write what your degree says. It's like making up your own job titles. . . .
    Originally posted by JNA
    Another Aye!

Quote Originally posted by TomSellecksMustache View post
    Should it be tailored to different types of jobs?
    Whatever degree name you end up using, (and I hope you go with JNA's "motion: approved"), always stick to the same degree name. Planning agencies, corporations, etc., sometimes "compare notes", so to speak. If they see a discrepancy in your degree name, they jump to not-so-positive opinions about you.

Just adding my two cents. Which, if you think of it as two copper pennies, is worth more than two cents.
    Last edited by Shellac And Vinyl VelocitY; 03 Mar 2014 at 2:30 PM. Reason: Added 2nd part of post.

Quote Originally posted by Seana View post
    If they see a discrepancy in your degree name, they jump to not-so-positive opinions about you.
    This is very true!
    The content contrarian

Registered
    May 2005
    The last thing you want is to put a different degree name next to the university where you received it only to find that someone who reviewed your resume also went there and says “who is this yahoo?! That school doesn’t give that degree!” Were I reviewing it, I might thing it was a con.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2011
    My guess is that this question has to do with the fear that we're all just being assessed by keyword algorithms. "If an employer can eliminate 91.4 percent of unqualified applicants by telling the cloud to discard anyone with a graduate degree that does not have 'city' OR 'urban' AND 'planning' in it, how can I afford to not try and game the system?" It's a fair concern: emerging professionals are being asked to Link In and whatnot, and sometimes those sites try to shunt you to the more popular degree names, leaving you to feel less than if you have to choose the "other" option and type your degree in like some dismal functionary. "Isn't that why I joined a professional networking site?" you ask. "To not have to type things?"

Having said that, you need to stand by your degree, man! And here's hoping your time in graduate school gave you more to put on your resume than the degree name.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 31 Dec 2009, 2:17 AM
  2. Following up after resume
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 26 Aug 2009, 10:21 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 22 May 2009, 5:29 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 Apr 2008, 9:20 AM