Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Street food

Registered
    Feb 2004

Street food

Used to get fried rice and yaki soba all the time from vendors in Okinawa. Had some yummy lumpias in the Phillipines. Here in the states I'll still get the occasional hot dog, but for the most part I tend to steer clear street food (especially after that time in the Phillipines when I got food poisoning).

Here's a wiki link about street foods from around the world.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_street_foods

Have you purchased street foods since the days you chased the ice cream truck?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Taco carts around here. Lots of them actually, and most serve more than tacos these days. You know you're at an authentic cart when nobody speaks English and they ask you if you want the meat to come from the face. THAT is a serious taco cart.

In Argentina the street food of choice seemed to be churros. And let me just say they were good. I want you to pretend you can imagine the number of delicious churros that I could put down. You can't imagine. I promise.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jan 2011
    don't really have street food around here, except the rare food truck at times.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    When the Austin pics of trailers and trucks were posted a few years ago by Dan, I had never seen anything to that extreme. If they did exist here the numbers were tiny and most were happened upon by accident in SW Detroit and catered to Mexican immigants. Now I see these suckers all over the place, and they serve stuff like upscale mac and cheese, pierogis, falafel, pizza. They still remind me of eating off of the roach coaches (as a youngster I spent many days at construction sites with my construction engineer Dad), but now the office workers line up downtown for them.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    YES!

There is a food truck that shows up at different events back home that has the most amazing french fries. Additionally, there have been more than a few occasions that I will order something from one of the food trucks that show up at different events in my City.
    "I learned many great lessons from my father, not the least of which, was that you can fail at what you don't want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love." - Jim Carrey

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I am a street food connoisseur

I've eaten street food in: Turkey, Indonesia, Thailand, Sri Lanka, India, Dominican Republic, and throughout the U.S.

We don't have much in the way of street food in Newark, but there are a couple of good trucks. Portland, SF, and Austin are a delight.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Sep 1999
    No way in hell. We go to a street festival once a month downtown and the food, except for the grilled cheese truck (I'd try that, but RJ won't) looks disgusting and is all fried. We have a couple drinks and wander around for a couple hours, then go to a sit-down place somewhere in town for dinner. Part of the issue is, who wants to eat hot food outside when it's 90 degrees out?

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

ArtPrize mobile food

Favorite City readily agreed to the local art museum hosting food trucks (the ordinance requires a real property to be the applicant). And the carts! This year's ArtPrize event has really brought out the vendors.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    What, this is not about road kill?

I seek out street vendors all of the time, especially when traveling.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jan 2009
    After eating street food of every type in most European countries, the stuff here won't kill me. Sadly the only good stuff I can find is a BBQ or taco truck at the street fair. Nothing much here unless there's some kind of event.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I've worked construction and served in the Army where the prototypical food truck, aka maggot wagon, was common and I survived. All the current street fare is gourmet by comparison. They let me eat where and when I want and not be bothered by waitstaff, obnoxious diners at nearby tables, or feeling pressured to leave for the next wave of patrons. It doesn't really get much better than that.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Last trip to SoCal the food trucks were so good I decided to eat all my meals at one. Plenty of websites tracking them, so not a problem. Looking forward to doing the same here in a couple weeks with next trip.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    May 2005
    If you don't enjoy street food, it's because you are frequenting shitty vendors/businesses. It's no different than restaurants. If you eat at a few bad restaurants, you're not going to stop frequenting restaurants. You just go to the ones that provide good food and service.

There's something very visceral about street food. I love it.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I could go for a philly cheese steak right now, with whiz.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    I could go for a philly cheese steak right now, with whiz.
    I'll take mine with provolone.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Berlin, Germany had this wonderful little street food stand that sold schnitzel sandwiches. Now I am sitting here drooling and hankering for a beer!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 09 Nov 2012, 1:51 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 Jun 2011, 10:34 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 12 Sep 2005, 1:05 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Sep 2004, 1:29 PM