Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Salad days

Registered
    Feb 2004

Salad days

Man, I got a craving just now for a Greek salad. You know with lettuce, black olives, feta cheese, onions, tomatoes, oregano, and oil. Mmmm mmm!

So what do you put on your plate when filling up at the salad bar at Old Country's Buffet or Golden Corral?
    Who here orders a salad as an entree when dining out? What are your favorite salads?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Many people think that this is weird for a salad, but I really like cottage cheese on a salad instead of dressing. Has anyone had any of Target's pre-made salads? There is one with Strawberries and Blueberries that is awesome
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I had an AWESOME salad at the best beer bar in America while on vacation recently. It was sirloin tips with caramelized onions, goat cheese, and a balsamic vinaigrette on a bed of mixed greens. Yummo!

Registered
    May 2005
    Things I like on salads:

Beets
    Black olives
    Blue Cheese
    Feta Cheese
    Bacon
    Green Peppers
    Mild Peppers

I usually go for a mixed-greens, as opposed to the old-fashioned iceberg lettuce.

I do like Greek salads and Ceasar salads.

I would say 1 out of 10 times I will order a salad as an entree.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I hate wedges.

I love Applebee's Oriental Chicken Salad.

I love fruit and nuts on salads... like one of the local joints called Dewey's Pizza has....

A mix of Field Greens and Romaine Lettuce with Candied Walnuts, Red Grapes and Gorgonzola Cheese, tossed with Dewey’s Citrus Basil Vinaigrette
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Things I like on salads:

Beets
    Black olives
    Blue Cheese
    Feta Cheese
    Bacon
    Green Peppers
    Mild Peppers

I usually go for a mixed-greens, as opposed to the old-fashioned iceberg lettuce.

I do like Greek salads and Ceasar salads.

I would say 1 out of 10 times I will order a salad as an entree.
    I could be wrong about this, but when constructing lists isn't it usual to list the most important things first? You also used an unusual sentence structure. It should have read something like "some salad items I like with my bacon include:......"

When I load up at the salad bar, I will more often than not go with the iceburg lettuce as a primary green and add mixed greens as a supplement. I tend to put a LOT of salad dressing on (faves are catalina/french and ranch). Like to go with cukes, shredded cheese, green peppers, onions, peas, croutons....and if bacon is not available I confess I will resort to fake bacon bits.
    Last edited by Maister; 08 Aug 2012 at 11:08 AM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I have recently gotten into enjoying salads more and more. Recently I had a wonderful salad that was wedged tomatos, green olives, cucumbers, and red onions with some balsamic vinegar. It was so simple but so good.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Summer in Tejas is always salad time for us. No more heat needed inside or out.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Summer in Tejas is always salad time for us. No more heat needed inside or out.
    This has been about the hottest summer I can remember in Michigan and am coming to a similar conclusion. You hate to run the oven any more than you have to. I think it's time we expanded our salad repertoire for the dog days that are upon us.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I need to eat more salads, but when I buy all the fixins they tend to go bad in my fridge. There's a cafeteria within walking distance of my workplace and they have a nice salad bar. I try and hit it up a couple times a week.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I love salads... though sometimes I'm too lazy to make one! If I make a salad at home, 90% of the time I'll make a big bowl of salad that we can enjoy for a day or two, until the lettuce gets too wilted (the trick is to make sure the leaves aren't too wet).

There are a couple of good restaurants that have great entree-sized salads. One of my favorites is composed of mixed greens with glazed pecans, dried cranberries, sliced pears, and goat cheese. YUM.

I was at a chain restaurant - Applebee's? Ruby Tuesday? some steak place? - and I ordered a salad that came with 1/2 lb. of grated white cheese on top. Blech. I like cheese, but that was just too much (and it wasn't anything special as far as cheese goes). Balance is the key to a great salad, in my opinion.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I love Caesar slads, and make a truly great one. Also, I make a great balsamic vinegarette dressing. A green salad with goat cheese is wonderful with it. I often order a Caesar salad with grilled salmon as an entree. For salad bars, I rely on romaine lettuce and spinach. I eschew iceberg lettuce as little more than flat celery - not worth eating. I add bell peppers, onion or scallion, carrots, shredded cheese of some kind, pepperoncini, chopped egg, pineapple, sunflower seeds, and anything else that appeals to me. No tomato, peas, olives, or other such poisons.

Registered
    May 2004
    This reminds me of the old saying about salads - If a salad gets eaten by a bear crapping in the woods in the forest does it make a sound?
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    This reminds me of the old saying about salads - If a salad gets eaten by a bear crapping in the woods in the forest does it make a sound?
    Is the bear a Catholic? Does the Pope live in the woods?

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Is the bear a Catholic? Does the Pope live in the woods?
    I'm not sure about the affiliation of the bear, but it is in fact a pope salad.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I'm not sure about the affiliation of the bear, but it is in fact a pope salad.
    Then it probably makes the sound of one hand crapping.

Registered
    May 2005
    Which are you referring to - the Bear, the Salad or the Crap?
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    Which are you referring to - the Bear, the Salad or the Crap?
    Within the cosmic reality, they are all separate yet they are all one.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    When I was a kid salad typically consisted of nothing more than lettuce torn into pieces with Miracle Whip or mayo mixed in. This was true at both home and at grandparents' house. I wasn't until my teen years that I first experienced the glories of a salad bar having multiple ingredients (including bacon bits and croutons!) at Ponderosa.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    This was the first thing that came to mind for me.

I'm pathetic.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    When I was a kid salad typically consisted of nothing more than lettuce torn into pieces with Miracle Whip or mayo mixed in. This was true at both home and at grandparents' house. I wasn't until my teen years that I first experienced the glories of a salad bar having multiple ingredients (including bacon bits and croutons!) at Ponderosa.
    This is the first I've ever heard of this lettuce/mayo mixture.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    This is the first I've ever heard of this lettuce/mayo mixture.
    My grandma, may she rest in peace, would make salad dressing by mixing a little sugar into Miracle Whip and tossing the salad in it. I think if she had never told me what it was I would have eaten it, but once I knew it just sounded too gross to me.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    When I was a kid, Mom mixed up mayo and ketchup to make "1000 Island" dressIing; it was always served over an iceberg wedge. Then Steak & Ale came to town and we discovered The Salad Bar. My usual choices at a salad bar: mixed greens, diced ham, a little cheddar, cuke, croutons, maybe some chopped egg, with ranch dressing. Maybe some cottage cheese or potato salad on the side.

I order entree salads regularly when we eat out, but I can never finish them, usually a chicken caesar or taco salad or a "Southwest" chicken salad. I get a doggie bag and the kid finishes them. RJ and I split a really good side salad in Naples last week that was mixed greens, walnuts, bacon, feta, and a garlic herb vinaigrette.

At home, mixed greens with cheese and croutons, add meat if it's for lunch, with Ranch or Asiago Peppercorn dressing. Unless we have spring mix, then I usually throw in some gorgonzola with a red wine vinaigrette.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    A salad that I've fallen in love with is cucumber salad. It comes in two basic styles; a vinegar base or a cream base. Both are delicious.

This summer we tried several bean salads. Some were better than others. My favorite was a bean salad that had couscous in it.

This is a colorful bean salad

Registered
    Nov 2008
    I love cucumber salad (sour cream).

Lately I've been eating a salad that's made up of:

-sliced cucumber
    -cherry tomatoes
    -crumbled feta
    -sliced shallots
    -chifffonade of basil (or fresh mint)
    -white wine vinegar and olive oil

What I don't like is that red leaf lettuce you find in all the "mixed greens" bags at the grocery store. That stuff turns bad the second it hit air, days before any of the other lettuces, and then it turns into black slime and contaminates the rest of the bag.
    You can grow ideas in the garden of your mind.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. School Days, Golden Rule Days
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 28 Feb 2011, 12:42 PM
  2. Ham salad anyone?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 24 Mar 2008, 5:40 PM
  3. Tuna Salad