Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Customer Surveys and Feedback

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Customer Surveys and Feedback

I recently renewed my subscription to This Old House magazine. (I know… shocking…) and I received a customer feedback e-mail asking me to rate their service and help them find ways to better serve their customers.

I always fill these out regardless if there is the potential to win a prize or not, in this case there was not. But one thing I always do is tell them both what I like best and things that I think that they can improve on, based on my opinions and experiences. I do the same thing with restaurants that have the evaluation form at the table or the back of the receipt, and will even call the manager over if I feel that the server did a great job. I know I have also expressed my concerns with customer service at some places in the past, and interestingly enough, these are the places that are the least likely to ask for feedback. It is amazing the number of places that want that type of feedback, but I fear that most people don’t offer it.

Do you provide feedback to businesses when asked? Do you contact the business when you have a complaint or a compliment?
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    If I get a survey form on a receipt, I tend to submit it since it's fairly short. I hate long surveys so there are two that I get via from places I patronize that I never fill out because I don't want to spend more than 2 minutes doing so. If someone has gone over and above good service delivery (that's your job) then I will send in a thumbs up via email or leave a message. As a boss I always used to share that kind of feedback amongst my employees because we mostly used to get negative feedback.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2006
    If the survey is short and it appears to be the work of customer relations, I may fill it out. If it appears to be from marketing, not.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I completed a survey from a motel chain that they emailed to me after my stay last week. A day or so after I completed the survey, I got an email from the location manager thanking me for submitting the survey and letting me know that I can contact her anytime. No where in her email can I tell that she even read my negative comments about my stay.

Registered
    May 2005
    I actually did NOT renew my subscription to This Old House magazine, but that's another story.

I rarely fill out those customer service requests. Sometimes I think no one is going to read them or I fear its going to lead to more solicitation. If it comes to me via e-mail, I am doubly paranoid that its not even from who they say they are (I've gotten a few of them in the past and my spam filter si still working overtime to deal with the onslaught)

The one time recently I did fill out one of these things it was inspired by a very negative travel experience involving lost luggage, being told three times my luggage was on its way but it never showing up and then it finally arriving at 2am the morning I was flying out (and I had to come down to the desk to sign for it in my pajamas). It was also winter and I had no extra clothes. So, I went and filled out a survey and told them my experience and stated very clearly that I would NEVER fly that airline again. In response I got a voucher for a discount on future flights and was told that had I asked, I could have received $50 toward some clothes. But now that the trip was over, I didn’t qualify. Mind you I talked to the folks about my bag status something like 8 times in 3 days and no one ever mentioned this. And, as they might recall (because I said it in all caps) I AM NEVER FLYING YOUR AIRLINE AGAIN! But thanks for the voucher…
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I remember several times receiving a crisp one-dollar bill to fill-out a survey. I filled those out. Nothing else. I can be bought.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    I completed a survey from a motel chain that they emailed to me after my stay last week. A day or so after I completed the survey, I got an email from the location manager thanking me for submitting the survey and letting me know that I can contact her anytime. No where in her email can I tell that she even read my negative comments about my stay.
    I did this for the first time ever back in April after a lousy stay on a business trip - basically I lit them up in the "Additional Comments" section of an online survey...I prefaced it by stating that I really liked that particular property, and, while I didn't think my experience was indicative of how they normally conduct their business, here's every thing they did wrong to collectively make my stay a miserable one. I received a response from someone in their corporate office about half an hour later saying: 1. We're very sorry, and I'm going to go slap around the hotel manager; 2. If you're ever in that city again, please give us a second chance to prove we don't suck, and we'll upgrade your stay; and, 3. Here's my contact info - let me know if and when you'll be staying there again, and I will personally make sure you have a better experience.

Darn impressive, in my humble opinion...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 19 Jan 2013, 9:17 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 Dec 2012, 9:29 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Jan 2010, 1:23 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 04 Nov 2009, 1:07 AM
  5. Feedback after applying/before interviewing
    Career Development and Advice