Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Hong Kong University - MS of Urban Planning?

Registered
    Aug 2012

Hong Kong University - MS of Urban Planning?

Hey! I thought I'd see if there are any graduates or current students of Hong Kong University's Department of Urban Planning and Design out there, as I'm pretty interested in their Master of Science in Urban Planning. For what it's worth I'm American, but extremely interested in sustainability and urbanization in East Asia, so I thought studying in Hong Kong might put me closer to the action, help with networking and jobs and so on. (I also have, ah, romantic attachments drawing me to HK, but let's keep a clear head! )
    There are a few old threads here from people who were either considering or had completed this program, but I'm new to these forums and can't message people directly yet.... plus it might be good to cast a wider net! Even if you didn't study there, have you worked with someone who has? What's your opinion of the program?

And, I guess, more broadly - do you all think I'm on the right track? If I'm primarily interested in Asia - that is, more interested in "typical Asian urban planning challenges" than "typical North American planning challenges", is heading off to HKU a better call than going to some of the more highly-rated schools here in the US? It seems like there are several MUP programs in the US that focus on developing countries, and everyone is looking at Asia these days, but does the quality of the program outweigh being so far away from the action? I welcome any musings...

Registered
    Apr 2012
    I know a guy who went to HKU for the Master in urban design (but not planning). I hear good things about the program. He seemed to like it. They took a lot of field trips that looked very interesting. He's still over in China working. I'd say it's worth it if you can afford it.

If you definitely see yourself staying over there then it might be a good idea to apply and see what happens. Do you speak Cantonese??

I don't know about US schools but I think UBC's planning program has an East Asian specialization too. (might want to double check)

good luck

Registered
    Aug 2012
    This is the DUPAD program correct? I've looked into it before but honestly didn't see much of a future in the Dept. of planning in Hong Kong, but I think it's an excellent springboard if you plan to work in some rapidly developing city in Asia. If you're not planning to return to NA (where it would make more sense to just get a degree here) then it might be worth considering. HKU is a better university to go to than any university in China... strictly just from campus tours and the environment there (I frequently fly back to Asia).

Registered
    Aug 2012
    Teambear, this guy you know - do you know him well enough to put me in touch with him? I would really love to talk to someone who has been through the program!
    I know a smattering of Cantonese, but the program's in English. As for day-to-day living, I was in HK for about a month last summer and had no difficulty getting around without Cantonese...

Registered
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally posted by travanj View post
    Teambear, this guy you know - do you know him well enough to put me in touch with him? I would really love to talk to someone who has been through the program!
    I know a smattering of Cantonese, but the program's in English. As for day-to-day living, I was in HK for about a month last summer and had no difficulty getting around without Cantonese...
    Hello,

I will try to get in contact with him. We're there any specific questions you had to start with that I can relay to him??

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 05 Nov 2012, 9:02 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 24 Jul 2010, 11:05 PM
  3. hi, from iowa and hong kong
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 04 Apr 2007, 2:50 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 19 Apr 2003, 12:24 PM