Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What reason do you think Obama will go down in history as one of America's greatest Presidents?

Registered
    Feb 2004

What reason do you think Obama will go down in history as one of America's greatest Presidents?

I know this is a controversial topic and there's a lot of debate surrounding this question. After all, some folks think Obama is a great President for championing the cause of the poor with Obamacare, while others argue he should be remembered in history for being the first black President, while yet others believe his open endorsement of gay marriage will be what he is best remembered for. How do you think history will remember him?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I honestly think it's too early for legacy talks. A lot of his accomplishments will be moot if he fails to win reelection. Then with a second a term, he'll be concerned with legacy and not reelection, so I expect him to govern somewhat differently than he has been. I think it's anyone's guess as to what his legacy ultimately will be at this point.

However I do find it funny how some people debate whether Obama was even the first black president since he's half white. There's no pleasing some people.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    However I do find it funny how some people debate whether Obama was even the first black president since he's half white. There's no pleasing some people.
    You’re right, there is no pleasing some people. And that’s America! When it comes to keeping people down, anyone with African ancestry is automatically “black.” Unless they do something good for society in which case they are suddenly “part white.” And really, very few African Americans can claim to have no European ancestry at all. Its our messed up notion of “purity and pollution” that categorizes these people as just “black.” In fact, it was a retired federal judge with one African American parent and one Irish American parent that challenged the Census on its definition of racial categories. This is what resulted in the option to select more than one race on the census. I heard an interview on the radio with him once. Awesome dude!

Black man, black woman, black baby
    White man, white woman, white baby
    White man, black woman, black baby
    Black man, white woman, black baby

From Public Enemy “Fear of a Black Planet”
    But I digress. I suspect the healthcare legislation, the true effects of which will not be felt for some time, will be his defining accomplishment, but if he gets another term, who knows what could happen or what's on the agenda. I think there is the possibility of some interesting international developments in the coming years.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Unless there is change in the remainder of his term, or he wins a second term and can bring about change, I think Obama will be viewed as one of the "middle of the pack" presidents. A faltering economy and political opposition have kept him from achieving much. In fact, you could argue that the opposing party has had a strategy of keeping the economy from improving as a means to help them get elected in 2012.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    In fact, you could argue that the opposing party has had a strategy of keeping the economy from improving as a means to help them get elected in 2012.
    That strategy might be backfiring. Have you seen the recent polls on Obama vs. congress and Romney?

Having the stones to find and kill Osama bin Laden. (Obviously, he didn't pull the trigger in the literal sense, but he most certainly did in the figurative.)
    Closed second: Saving GM.
    Third: Gigantic expansion of clean energy using the Repubs-hated successful stimulus.

Too soon to say with Affordable Care Act.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    May 2004
    It depends on if he wins reelection and what he does second term. Currently I find no reason whatsoever that he would be ranked among the greatest presidents.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    He was America's first black president..... Other that that, he will rate on the same level as Jimmy Carter.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    He was America's first black president..... Other that that, he will rate on the same level as Jimmy Carter.
    You mean a moral, decent, Christian man-right?
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    You mean a moral, decent, Christian man-right?
    Yep.... And had no real understanding of the economy, job creation, foreign policy, domestic policy, or fiscal responsibility.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Yep.... And had no real understanding of the economy, job creation, foreign policy, domestic policy, or fiscal responsibility.
    Ya know, I could refute your talking points but it's like getting into a shouting match with a deaf person.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    Unless there is change in the remainder of his term, or he wins a second term and can bring about change, I think Obama will be viewed as one of the "middle of the pack" presidents. .
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    ...Currently I find no reason whatsoever that he would be ranked among the greatest presidents.
    Bottom third-half of the middle-of-the-pack. "Greatest President" surely is a gimmick to get someone to read the thread, as there is no evidence for the assertion.

If he changes his basic nature and plays the game properly, he can change direction in his second term and do some things to fix this mess, but I don't see how an enraged Right and plutocrat-funded TeaPurty will allow that.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ColoGI View post
    "Greatest President" surely is a gimmick to get someone to read the thread, as there is no evidence for the assertion. .
    Surely. Sadly that someone did not care to grace us with 'her' presence this time Oh well.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by ColoGI View post
    ..."Greatest President" surely is a gimmick to get someone to read the thread, as there is no evidence for the assertion.
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Surely. Sadly that someone did not care to grace us with 'her' presence this time Oh well.
    As there has been zero evidence presented to defend the "Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrreatest Prrrrrrrrrrresident Evvvvvvvvvvvvvvahah!!!!!!1one!!" assertion, one must go with the 'gimmick' speculation. Smart money, yasee, mark to market..
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

BANNED
    Registered
    Aug 2012
    The first illegal alien and Muslim President with ties to terrorism.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Boo. I thought it would be better.... very disappointed.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Personally and endearingly, I like how he at his core seems likes a normal person, someone I can relate to. Check out this pic of him playing with a toddler. Too cute!

http://officialssay.tumblr.com/post/...d-by-a-toddler

Nuther ones:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whiteho...in/photostream

Ruling the country, tho, needs moar, "I got this!" <Note: Linkypoo NSFW>

Lolz!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Boo. I thought it would be better.... very disappointed.
    Agreed. That was quite disappointing.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Wannaplan? View post
    Personally and endearingly, I like how he at his core seems likes a normal person, someone I can relate to. Check out this pic of him playing with a toddler. Too cute!

http://officialssay.tumblr.com/post/...d-by-a-toddler

Nuther ones:

I do have to give him credit. He is great with kids on a personal level, and I think that he is a great dad to his little kids. I also think that in his heart, he genuinely wants to do the right thing for this country.

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Agreed. That was quite disappointing.
    You are such a troll sometimes...

Registered
    Jul 2005
    With the exception of George Washington, great Presidents are those who change their mind a lot. Straight line rhetorical Presidents are easily forgotten, as are rhetorical bosses in the workplace.
    Psychotics are consistently inconsistent. The essence of sanity is to be inconsistently inconsistent.
    -Larry Wall

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    He's proven he has some fine pipes. He did Al Green proud. He plays a mean game of hide and seek. Killed the then-reigning champ. Showed Pakistan up for what it is.

He hasn't yet shown greatness. Not sure if he has it in him.

Greatest president is a hard role to fill. Washington, Lincoln, and the two Roosevelts are in that realm. Jefferson was a great patriot, thinker and real estate speculator, but not really a great president. Kennedy was cut down before he could be judged on that regard. Reagan has been over-valued in that regard IMO.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Obama's stimulus doubled U.S. renewable energy production, so I think years down the road (when global warming becomes ever more apparent) his environmental initiatives will be an integral part of his legacy.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 10 Dec 2012, 1:24 PM
  2. Happy Presidents Day
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 23 Feb 2011, 10:14 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 01 Jun 2006, 2:57 PM
  4. Replies: 46
    Last post: 19 Aug 2005, 6:14 PM