Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How do you use social media?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.

How do you use social media?

I think we have to accept the fact that social media is here to stay. Many of us have Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter accounts. Some even have other forms too. Business are using it more and more for advertizing and other agencies are using it to distribute information. Local news stations even use it to broadcast breaking news stories.

But how do you use social media? Is it just a chance to post selfies? Is it full of long drawn out meaningful thoughts that you need to share with the world? Or is it an opportunity to post photos and videos of kids, puppies, and yes, even cat videos. Some people will even post something controversial just to get people worked up.

But do other people view your posts the way that you view them? Do you look at the number of likes, or who likes your posts? Do people respond to them?
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    With wild, thoughtless abandon.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

Registered
    May 2006
    FB to post memes and bs, instagram to be vain and make jokes. Its a sad fact of life.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Only registered on Cyburbia & FB

No surprise - Not registered on Twitter or Linkedin or Instagram.
    Don't even text message - No Smart Phone

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I use Facebook to stay in touch with people I might otherwise lose track of. I share and post things that make me happy, and occasionally rant about something. My blocked list is about as long as my friends list, and I don't care if anyone unfriends or blocks me. I think that people who read my posts understand them the way I expect them to. It's fun and games to me.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I don't. I post on this and two other vBulletin-based forums, of which this is the only one that is visible to non-members. Beyond that, I do not utilize any sort of "social media" platform for anything.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    I guess a follow up question would be how often do you check your social media accounts?
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I guess a follow up question would be how often do you check your social media accounts?
    More often than is productive. I'm beginning to leave my phone at home if I go to social events or run errands.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    With wild, thoughtless abandon.
    Also, recklessly, too.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    You will not find me on social media. I don’t use Facebook, Twitter, etc. I have a few reasons for that. I do not think that my daily habits are of that much interest to the people around me. I do not think you really care what I had for lunch, or what movie I saw last night - except for you guys. More importantly, I am fairly sure that at some point in time, I would manage to post something that would alienate the people who followed me. I would not do this on purpose, but you just never know how someone will interpret a picture or a comment.

Like most of America, I occasionally make comments when I probably should refrain from speaking. This is why you will never see me tweeting about events in my world. I would not want an initial gut reaction to be seen as my viewpoint, rather than more measured, reflective thoughts. Then when it comes to making friends on Facebook (or whatever) and posting pictures, I choose to not participate. This upsets my cousin because "I never update family on things that are going on." I told her to text me if she wants to know something and I'll do the same.

Too many people seem ready to “friend” anyone they know and don’t think about how this may impact their professional reputation or work relationships. I want people who I don't hang out with to have a mental image of my business persona - a planner man in khakis and a button-down shirt working to improve the city, rather than a guy sitting on his back deck, wearing a 10-year-old beer or sports t-shirt, with a margarita in one hand and a very occasional cigar in the other (the real week-end me!) Facebook might impact your image of me. I know we didn't hire a person (or two) based on their posting & pictures social media.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2009
    About the only time I really use the Facebook is to catch up with people or let them know I'll be in town soon so we can do lunch. Maybe if I had one of them smart phones I might check it more often and tell people about the great taco place I just ate at.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 18 Nov 2016, 9:48 AM
  2. Social media and oversharing
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 16 Apr 2015, 6:52 PM
  3. Social media advice please
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 20 Jan 2015, 11:52 PM