Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The thread in which I rate motels I've stayed

The thread in which I rate motels I've stayed

I am going to attempt to rate every motel I have stayed at over the past several years.

Starting from most recent....

Lark Inn
    Tomah, WI

"Clean and Nice, but Kids Cost Extra"

Type: Motel/Cabins
    Date Stayed: August, 2012
    Rate (inc. Taxes): $93.50.(w/AAA discount).

Rating: (Out of 5)

Overall: 4

Value: 3
    Amenities: 4
    Sleep Quality: 4
    Rooms: 5
    Cleanliness: 5
    Service: 3
    Proximity to attactions: 4

Pluses: Nice wooden log cabins with panelled walls and clean rooms. laundry very close.

Minuses: Extra charge for kids over 10, poor continental breakfast.

The hotel is a mixture of standard hotel rooms, longer term apartments and historic wooden cabins. We stayed at one of the cabins the first two days, a nice structure tucked in the back with wood panelling on the inside. The cabins have been recently renovated so they have all the modern amenities, while keeping most of their historic character.

The cabin and standard hotel room we stayed in on the third night was very clean and comfortable. It was close to downtown, which was less than a mile away.

On the minus side, I thought it was a little pricey. Over $93 after tax, and that was with a AAA discount. They charged extra my kids, who were only 14 and 12. The clerk told me that anyone over 10 is charged extra. (Most hotels I've stayed at charge no extra for any children 16 and under).

The continental breakfast could have been better. It was mostly sugary cereals and sweet rolls. I was hoping for some more nutritious food such as plain Cheerios and eggs.

Room Tip: Cabin 36 is the only cabin with two rooms.

Photos from Trip Advisor
    Last edited by Super Amputee Cat; 11 Aug 2012 at 4:23 PM.

Clarion Suites Central
    Madison, WI

"Good Price For Area"

Type: Hotel
    Date Stayed: July, 2012
    Rate (inc. Taxes): $108 Average rate over 3 days.(w/AAA discount). Rate varies considerably b/w weekend and weekday.

Value: 4
    Amenities: 5
    Sleep Quality: 4.5
    Service: 4.5
    Proximity to attactions: 3

Pluses: Clean rooms, full breakfast, friendly staff, free wine and beer, lower rate for this caliber of hotel. Excercise rooms and pool.

Minuses: Breakfast ends too early.

I don't usually stay at motels of this high a caliber, but I have to say I was impressed with the level of service and cleanliness of this Clarion. The building, built ca 2002, is in great shape with the common areas and rooms very clean. The price averaged about $108 after taxes, but varied between weekend and weekday. This was lower than most other hotels of this level in Madison. I

Other pluses included free wine and tap beer and snacks during "social hour", (every day but Sunday around 5:30 to 7). The breakfast was very nice with a different "entree" each day as well a wide assortment of staples such as waffles, eggs, bagels, cereal and milk available every day. The dining area was spatious with plenty of seating.

The motel, while not downtown, is closer than most that you will find off the Interstate.

The only issue I had was the breakfast hours ended too early: 9:00 on Weekdays and 9:30 and weekends. There is no reason why this could not be extended at least an hour. I had to wake my kids up early just to get them down in time for breakfast. With that said, the cooking staff went out of their way to be helpful, bringing back the milk and a couple of other items when we were late one day.

If you are looking for a 4-star (out of 5) hotel this is probably one of the best in Madison.

Last edited by Super Amputee Cat; 11 Aug 2012 at 4:13 PM.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I think we need to first distinguish between motel and hotel. In MY book if the building is a highrise and has the doors on the inside it rates in the hotel category. That first review you did is absolutely a motel the second is a hotel.
    @GigCityPlanner

Magnuson Hotel University Inn
    Marion, OH

"Not So Super"

Type: Motel
    Date Stayed: April, 2012
    Rate (inc. Taxes): $50(w/Travel Saver Coupon)

Overall: 2.5
    Amenities: 2
    Sleep Quality: 3
    Rooms: 3
    Cleanliness: 3
    Service: 2
    Proximity to attactions: 2

Pluses: Quiet rooms, room rate (but only w/travel saver coupon).

Minuses: Generally dirty appearance, broken ice machine, broken hot tub

We stayed here last year when this motel was still a Super 8. It has now been rebranded Magnuson after the place lost its franchise agreement with Super 8 due to non-payment of royalty fees.

Now a year after we last stayed, there has been a notable decline in this property. The hotel appeared little dirtier, especially the carpet in the coridors, plus several things were broken including the hot tub and the one and only ice machine.

Our cost was $50 including tax but only with a Travel Saver Coupon. The regular price was close to $70. That would put this hotel at a higher rate than other budget hotels in the area,

So this is not a bargain unless you have that coupon.

On the plus side, the rooms were quiet and did not appear to attract the crazies that hotels in the $50-60 range sometimes do.

Room Tip: Get a room in the back of the hotel to avoid all the noise of Highway 95.

Debranded Super 8 sign

...but only with coupon

Photos from Trip Advisor
    Last edited by Super Amputee Cat; 11 Aug 2012 at 4:53 PM.

Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    I think we need to first distinguish between motel and hotel. In MY book if the building is a highrise and has the doors on the inside it rates in the hotel category. That first review you did is absolutely a motel the second is a hotel.
    Good point: I have already changed it.

I will rate all motels, hotels, motor courts, etc.

Red Roof Inn
    Middleburg Heights, OH (near Cleveland)

"Clean but inconsiderate guests”

Date Stayed: November, 2011
    Rate (inc. Taxes): $52 (w/AAA Discount)

Overall: 4.0
    Value: 4.5
    Amenities: 2
    Sleep Quality: 2
    Rooms: 4
    Service: 4

Pluses: Clean rooms, nice bathroom, friendly staff, low rate.

Minuses: Inconsiderate guests, no continental breakfast, doors slam hard, motel taxes.

I stayed here last fall. The location is convenient if you want something right off the interstate, but as a consequence it is in the middle of nowhere. You are pretty far away from attractions in Cleveland proper.

I was impressed with the hotels cleanliness and service but guests in adjoining rooms left much to be desired. It was a multiple party, renting at least four adjacent rooms and treating them (and the corridor) like their own personal family rooms. There was much yelling and screaming, running between rooms and door slamming. At one point at least 8 of them were actually congregating outside in the corridor (some with beer) further adding to the decibel level.

Thankfully all the annoying hoopla died down by 11:30, but they all checked out at 7:00 AM, leading to another round of yelling and door slamming.

On the plus side, the rooms and common spaces were clean. I was especially impressed by the bathroom. The value was good at $44.99 (including $5 AAA discount). However, after taxes, the actual total came to over $52. (This is not the hotel's fault as Cuyahoga County has some of the highest lodging taxes in the nation).

Room tip: I recommend getting a room on the third floor (on the side facing west) to minimize being close to other guests and to reduce exposure to unwanted expressway noise. (There is an elevator in the lobby)

Note: Motel taxes for Cuyahoga county are among the highest in the nation. The rate was only $44 before taxes.

This location does not have continental breakfast.

Last edited by Super Amputee Cat; 11 Aug 2012 at 4:49 PM.

Super 8
    Corbin, KY

"Affordable but Noisy"

Date Stayed: August, 2011
    Rate (inc. Taxes): $47.33 (w/Travel Saver Coupon)

Overall: 3
    Amenities: 3.5
    Service: 3

Pluses: Value, hot continental breakfast.
    Minuses: Noise, dingy hallways, paper thin walls.

This motel was kind of hard to get to because it is tucked behind two other buildings and only accessible by a hard-to-find service drive. As far as the motel itself, it was OK for basic accommodations and value, but beyond that it was really nothing to write home about.

Pluses included the cheap rate ($47.33 including tax w/Travel Saver coupon) and the breakfast. On the minus side, it was quite noisy there. The walls were kind of thin. I could hear the ceiling creaking from people walking around in the room directly above me. Room doors slammed hard. Be sure and bring the earplugs or crank up the AC. It was located right next to I-75, so get a room in the east end of the hotel unless you like hearing semis all night.

The corridors were rather dingy, although the room itself was clean.

Tip: Make sure you pick up the Travel Saver available at most I-75 rest stops. Otherwise you will probably pay at least $10 more.

Photos from Trip Advisor

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Have you considered getting on Yelp? These would be helpful for travelers using that.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Wow! A lot of effort went into creating this thread. Good job!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have recently started to post ratings to Tripadvisor. I tend to begin looking up hotels a couple hours before stopping for the night and found that the ratings provided by guests have been a good way to judge whether to look or not. Great ratings give me some confidence in driving that next 100 miles to get somewhere, while many bad reviews tell me to keep driving that next 100 miles.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    I have recently started to post ratings to Tripadvisor. I tend to begin looking up hotels a couple hours before stopping for the night and found that the ratings provided by guests have been a good way to judge whether to look or not. Great ratings give me some confidence in driving that next 100 miles to get somewhere, while many bad reviews tell me to keep driving that next 100 miles.
    Yep, Tripadvisor reviews are the place to post these. Not that they aren't interesting here.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I post reviews and ratings on TripAdvisor too. Only 2 more reviews for my Senior Contributor(tm) badge!

It's a great tool especially when you're traveling to someplace you've never been before.

I post all my reviews on Trip Advisor too. These are basically those repasted with extra info on rates, etc. However, I've only been doing it since 2011. So earlier reviews will be written from memory and credit card data.
    Last edited by Super Amputee Cat; 12 Aug 2012 at 8:50 PM.

Mountain Inn and Suites
    Dunlap, TN

"Clean & Friendly"

Rate (inc. Taxes): $79.26 (No discount)

Amenities: 3
    Proximity to attractions: 3.5

Pluses: Very clean rooms, friendly staff, breakfast.

Minuses: A little pricey

This was one of the cleaner motels I have stayed at in quite a while. Nice rooms and interior corridors. Innkeeper was very friendly.

Note: Hotel does not have breakfast but does give you a voucher for breakfast at an adjacent restaurant.

Only complaint: Air conditioner (at least in our room) does not have "Fan Only" mode so you are subject to the air conditioner turning on and off all night.

Travel Tip: This is the only decent motel for miles in any direction. It is about halfway between Chattanooga and Fall Creek Falls State Park, which is one of the most popular parks in Central Tennessee. If you are travelling north from Chattanooga, and need a place to stay, you are advised to stop here unless you aleady have lodgings at Fall Creek Falls. The motel in Pikeville was full, so you will be out of luck if the lodge is full too.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I post hotel and restaurant reviews on tripadvisor; it reaches a much larger audience. Many of us will not be travelling to Ohio or Wisconsin. Not that there's anything wrong with those states...

I am now going to put a new rating for "Character/Ambiance" for each hotel, where the building's architecture/character is taken into account. While I gave a high rating to the last hotel, it certainly is nothing much to look at. I would give it a 2/5 at best.

Comfort Inn
    Chattanooga, TN

"There are better choices elsewhere"

Rate (inc. Taxes): $76.20.(w/ Travel Saver Coupon)

Value: 2.5
    Amenities: 3
    Sleep Quality: 3
    Cleanliness: 3.5
    Ambiance/Character: 3

Other: Security: 0

Pluses: Hot breakfast, clean rooms

Minuses: Lowlife thugs in parking lot, no security, understaffed, abrupt Breakfast times, location, high price w/o coupon, stagnant pool.

We stayed here because it was a convenient location off of I-75 and I was meeting my brother who was coming up from Georgia. I had one of those travel saver coupons which got me a room with two queen beds for $64.99 + tax. Otherwise it would have been over $80. If you want just a king bed, you can get a travel-saver coupon for $59.99 + tax.

The location was in the middle of sprawlville on an exit that looks like every other I-75 Exit from Georgia to Michigan. As for the motel itself, it fell rather short of the criteria what should be expected for hotels at this price level. (After all, this isn't Motel 6). The hot breakfast was nice, but was run like the Gestapo. The attendant was very rude and started whisking away food and turning off the lights exactly at 9:30. There was no leeway for people that wanted to sleep in a little and hope to still get food at 10:00. The check-in staff was friendlier and honored my travel coupon for multiple days.

As far as the clientele, this hotel had more than it's fair share of lowlifes, who liked to congregate on the walkway to the second story parking deck and drink beer and smoke cancer sticks. (So hold your breath lest you breathe in their putrid smoke as you walk in from parking.) If that wasn't bad enough, these loud and belligerent drunk idiots were dropping f-bombs every five seconds. Yeah, real family friendly place. I'm just glad my 11-year old daughter wasn't around when these lowlifes were belching out their offensive, unintelligible banter.

My question is this: Where was hotel security? Why is this motel so understaffed? There appeared to be only one person on staff during the evening hours. This is unacceptable for such a large hotel. At such a high traffic location with dozens of rooms, there should be at least one security guard, especially at night.

Given the choice, I would probably not stay here again. There are probably better choices at cheaper rates at more convenient locations.

Note: The pool was warm and stagnant and appeared to have no filtration system. (Or at least it wasn't working the days we stayed there)

Above photo from Tripadvisor
    Last edited by Super Amputee Cat; 13 Aug 2012 at 6:53 PM.

Howard Johnson (debranded)
    Bristol, VA

"Is this even a Ho Jo?"

Rate (inc. Taxes): $44

Overall: 2
    Value: 2
    Amenities: 2.5
    Sleep Quality: 3.5
    Rooms: 2.5
    Cleanliness: 1
    Ambiance/Character: 2

Other: Security: 0

Pluses: Hot breakfast, well built structure.

Minuses: Extremely dirty on outside, poorly maintianed, transient clientele, no security, value.

Before I give you my review, here are some of the other comments about this hotel on Tripadvisor:

"..bed bugs"
    "Nasty & Gross"
    "Do not stay here!"
    "Warning"
    "Find somewhere else to stay"

I also read about "blood stained floors" and "meth hotel" references on other sites.

==============

It was hard to find this motel because the Howard Johnson's sign was missing. The innkeeper explained that strong winds had knocked it down and he was getting a new sign on Monday.

Maybe, but how do you explain the Howard Johnson logo on the awning being spray painted over? (See photos below). Also, when I got on Hojo.com, they had no listing for Bristol. Very strange.

As for the motel itself, it was quite dirty on the outside, with failed concrete, grass growing in the parking lot and cigarette butts swept into corners and not picked up. The motel appeared to be more of a transient hotel with some people looking like they had been staying there for weeks. Motel furniture was placed outside of many rooms like it was somebody's front porch. Little kids and dogs ran everywhere.

We stayed there on a Saturday night and as the evening wore on, more and more unsavory-looking characters started appearing and congregating on the upper deck of our wing. Being with two kids, I was kind of worried. Reading other reviews on this site and other sites only added to this fear.

On the plus side, our room and bathroom appeared clean, if a little dated. The structure appears to have originally well-built despite its current state. (It was originally a Holiday Inn) I heard none of the creaking ceilings and flushing toilets from adjacent rooms that you typically hear in those cheaply-built motels with paper-thin walls. If there was any late night partying going on, I didn't hear it. The air conditioner fan did a good job of drowning out unwanted noise.

You also got a hot breakfast and the lobby appeared clean, if a little small.

But I would not stay here again, unless it was rebranded and cleaned up. Maybe the owner is trying to fix it up, but there's no excuse for not breaking out the dustbin and sweeping up those cigarette butts.

Travel Tip: The adjacent Knights Inn appeared much cleaner and seems to have got much better reviews. I wish I would have seen it. It was only a few dollars more than the $44 I paid which seems like too much for this hotel.

Missing sign and spray-painted awning

Above photos taken by me and posted to Tripadvisor

Update: This hotel now appears to be known as The Bristol Inn. It looks like it may have been cleaned up a little since I stayed there.

More recent photos:

Last edited by Super Amputee Cat; 13 Aug 2012 at 7:35 PM.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    The "de-branded" HoJo looks downright scary.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Spent the night here on the way to Fla. Ugh...

TravelLodge
    Macon, Ga

"Quick sleepover, but no more"

Rate (inc. Taxes): $53 (w/AAA discount). Rate varies considerably b/w weekend and weekday.

Overall: 2
    Amenities: 0
    Sleep Quality: 3.5
    Rooms: 2
    Cleanliness: 2
    Proximity to attactions: 1

Pluses: Cheap, friendly (Indian) staff, pool. Really none to speak of.

Minuses: Breakfast consisted of muffins and doughnuts cut in half.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    I agree.

I once stayed in a place like it - another old HoJo - in Connecticut because it was inexpensive relative to everything else in the vicinity. There were no "by the hour" customers, fortunately, but one of the business associates with whom I was traveling told me he showered with his socks on.

Quality Inn
    Ashland, KY

"If You Like Trains"

Rate (inc. Taxes): $70.78

Value: 2
    Sleep Quality: 0

Pluses: Hot breakfast
    Minuses: Excessive Train Noise, Value

We stayed there because my son likes trains and from that perspective you won't find a better motel in Ashland. But it's one thing to view trains at 7:00 PM, quite another to be jolted awake at 3:00 AM

The hotel makes you sign a disclaimer saying that you are aware of the train noise. The problem is that the motel is directly across from a crossing so you are less than 150 feet away from where the engineer blows the horn. We stayed toward the front where it was noisiest. Toward the rear, it may be quieter but it is doubtful that you would be able to stay anywhere in the building that would drown out the noise.

On the plus side, you do get a hot breakfast (of sausage and eggs) and the rooms appeared clean if somewhat dated. The neighborhood immediately behind the hotel is nice, with cool old houses. We had a nice stroll down several streets the evening we were there.

Room Tip: Bring The Earplugs!

Trip Advisor Review

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._Kentucky.html

Last edited by Super Amputee Cat; 14 Aug 2012 at 7:34 PM.

Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Well, it used to be a beautiful motel:

Red Roof Inn
    Clyde, OH

"Clean But Slightly Pricey

Date Stayed: June, 2011
    Rate (inc. Taxes): $72.25 with Redicard Discount

Overall: 3.5
    Value: 2.0
    Rooms: 4.5
    Cleanliness: 4
    Service: 4.5
    Proximity to attactions: 3.5

Pluses: Later Continental Breakfast, Clean Rooms
    Minuses: Value

I stayed on the third floor. Room was clean as well as the hotel overall. The continental breakfast was above-par with more nutritious food than most other places I've stayed. They even had a waffle iron where you could make your own waffles! Plus it was open to 10:00 (11:00 on weekends) which is later than many places we have stayed.

I did think the motel was a little pricey though for the area. Even with the Redicard discount it was $72.25 (inc. tax) which is about $10 more than I thought would be a reasonable price for that level of hotel

Trip Advisor Review

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...lyde_Ohio.html

Last edited by Super Amputee Cat; 14 Aug 2012 at 7:46 PM.

Motel 6
    Farmington Hills, MI

"OK for the price but noisy"

Date Stayed: April, 2011
    Rate (inc. Taxes): $37.22

Overall: 3.0
    Rooms: 2.5
    Ambiance/Character: 2.5

Pluses: Value
    Minuses: Noise, distinct smoke smell, no continental breakfast, rude guest.

I've always liked Motel 6 for its value and this one is no exception with a $37.22 room rate including tax. The motel was close to downtown Northville and Northville Downs. The room and bathroom were clean and the exterior of the hotel was in good shape. However, there was a distinct smoky odor even though we were in a non-smoking room. It was not overpowering, but you never know what kind of carcinogens you are breathing in. Plus the motel was very noisy. Every time someone in an adjacent room turned on the faucet or flushed the toilet I could hear it

Overall, if you don't mind noise then this is a good deal. Otherwise you may want to check out quieter, more expensive motels elsewhere. Why, some rude a-hole was getting into an arguement with the clerk when we were checking in. Of course, with only charging $37, this motel is going to be prone to being attractive to lowlifes.

Room Tip: If you're a non-smoker, you may want to ask to inspect a room before checking in.

Trip Advisor Review

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR..._Michigan.html

Last edited by Super Amputee Cat; 14 Aug 2012 at 7:48 PM.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Mind if I add to the fun in the coming few days?

Not Photoshopped.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Rate yourself from 1 to 10 in.....
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 30 Oct 2013, 1:42 PM
  2. Uses Extended stay hotels/motels
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 16 Jul 2013, 8:58 PM
  3. Worst place you've stayed on a trip