Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: The thread in which I rate motels I've stayed

Off-topic:
    ^^With regard to the Du Bois, PA motel, while some might be tempted to pronounce it 'Du Bwah', in central Penny, it is pronounced 'Du Boys'.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Springs Motel
    Yellow Springs, Ohio

"A comfortable little retro-motel”

Type: Motel
    Date Stayed: April, 2009
    Rate (inc. Taxes): $64.90

Reason for visit: Family Vacation (destination)
    Number of nights stayed: 2

Rating: (Out of 5)

Overall: 4.5
    Value: 3.5
    Amenities: 5
    Sleep Quality: 4
    Noise: 3
    Rooms: 2.5
    Cleanliness: 4.5
    Service: 4
    Proximity to attractions: 5
    Ambiance/Character: 5

Other: Grounds: 5

Pluses: Proximity to attractions, Location, Character/Architecture, Children's activities, grounds, friendly pets
    Minuses: Small rooms

This is one of the best motels I have ever stayed. A rare combination of an affordable, clean motel located in a perfect destination spot. The kids absolutely loved this place and so did I. To this day, they always rank it near the top of the dozens of motels/hotels that they have stayed in over the past 10 years.

And for families and couples what's not to like? Beautiful spacious grounds with picnic tables, lawn chairs, fire pit, swings, hammock and sports equipment. )You're never going to find that at the Marriott.) Two friendly dogs, belonging to the innkeeper, roamed freely on the grounds and sat with us as we ate lunch. The motel is one of those once ubiquitous, but now extremely rare, '50s roadside motels that is still in existence under its original function and containing original architecture.

You'll find clean, comfortable (if a little small) rooms. This isn't the Hilton, so you're not going to find plush carpets and mints on the pillow case, but for low-maintenance, budget minded travelers you're not going to find anything close to this motel in terms of amenities and setting while staying anywhere within 30+ miles of Yellow Springs. It's certainly much nicer than the sanitized motels in Springfield or Xenia.

And you're only about a mile from downtown Yellow Springs, an art community that is home to Antioch College (which was closed when we were there). You are in the epicenter of one of the most diverse and unusual communities in the nation. It's hard to believe you're in Ohio when your here.

There's plenty to do in Yellow Springs. Great shopping, a few good restaurants, and a thriving arts community. If art and shopping are not your thing, there is great hiking at nearby Glen Helen Nature Preserve as well as direct access to The Little Miami Scenic Trail a rail-trail from Xenia to Springfield that runs right through downtown and connects to a larger system running all the way to Cinci.

Trip Advisor Review.

Last edited by Super Amputee Cat; 01 Sep 2012 at 3:01 PM.

When you go back more than 4 years, it gets a lot harder to remember details about a hotel, especially mundane Days Inn. I barely remember anything about this motel at all. I am partially basing my ratings on Trip Advisor.

Days Inn
    Lima, Ohio

Date Stayed: March, 2008
    Rate (inc. Taxes): $50.57

September 2012 Rate (with AAA discount) for 1 room w/2 Queen Beds $56.20 inc. TAX.

Reason for visit: Weekend Trip (destination)
    Number of nights stayed: 1

Overall: 3.0
    Value: 3.5
    Amenities: 4
    Sleep Quality: 3
    Noise: 3
    Rooms: 3
    Cleanliness: 3
    Service: 3
    Proximity to attractions: 2
    Ambiance/Character: 2
    Other: Grounds: 3.5

Pluses: Picnic grounds on site?
    Minuses: Proximity to attractions

We stayed here overnight while visiting Lima for the day. This motel is right off of the expressway and pretty far from downtown. As the pictures will attest, the motel seems "tired." Trip Advisor reviews have not been kind.

Like I said before, I barely remember anything about this motel. The only thing that stands out is that the kids were throwing snowballs from the balcony onto the parking lot below.

Allen County Museum is one of the attractions we visited.

Trip Advisor Review

Evidently, the pool has been filled in.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    The first thing Luke does when we get into a hotel room is pick out which bed we will be sleeping in - usually the one closest to the window, but I need to sleep between him and the AC unit because he does not like to have the air blowing on him.
    Bailey and Guinness will usually sleep close together on the same piece of furniture, whether it's a couch or bed, but in a hotel room with two beds, they'll usually take separate beds. I keep the TV on for them when I leave the room. When I come back, the sheets and pillows are often off the beds.

When Bailey was much younger, if we went into a hotel room and there were to beds, she would immediately hop on one bed, and then jump back and forth between the two beds. Even in their advanced age, they both love racing up and down the halls.

A few times, when I was staying at a hotel with the dogs, I'd get up in the morning, go to the bathroom, and notice a strange smell. I'd turn around, and find a poop in the tub. I think it was Bailey.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

I am now at the point before I was over-medicated with sleeping pills by my doctor and could still get natural sleep. Therefore, I was much more tolerant of noise than I am now. So unless the motels were exceptionally noisy, I won't rate them on that criteria.

Franklin Inn
    Bad Axe, MI

Date Stayed: October, 2007
    Rate (inc. Taxes): $44.52

Reason for visit: Weekend Trip (on way to camping)

Overall: 4
    Value: 4
    Noise: N/A
    Rooms: 3.5
    Cleanliness: 4
    Service: 4
    Proximity to attractions: 4
    Ambiance/Character: 3
    Other: "Nostalgia": 4.5

Pluses:Close to downtown Bad Axe, one of closest motels to Port Crescent State park and the tip of Michigan's thumb.
    Minuses" None noted

We stayed here overnight on the way to a Columbus Day weekend trip to Port Crescent State Park way at the northern tip of Michigan's thumb. I had hoped to make it all the way to the campground on Friday night, but road construction on U. S. 23 delayed our arrival and it was too late to set up the camper. I decided to stay overnight in Bad Axe and drive the remaining 15 miles to Port Crescent on Saturday morning.

We were lucky to get accommodations on a Friday night. Being so long ago, I really don't remember a whole lot of detail about the layout of this hotel, but the place seemed adequate or above average for the price range. Rooms were smaller, but adequate. I don't remember if they had continental breakfast but there is a restaurant on site. Trip Advisor reviews are generally very positive.

Anyway, we had a great weekend at Port Crescent State Park. It was in the low 80s all weekend and we spent the time mostly swimming in the warm water of Lake Huron, visiting historical sites in Huron City (including eating apples from an apple tree) and going to Port Huron on the way back. Though staying at this hotel was only a small part of this trip, it was a gateway to a wonderful weekend ahead and one of the best weekends I had ever experienced. Therefore I give it a rating of 4.5 in the new "Nostalgia" category.

Trip Advisor Review

Last edited by Super Amputee Cat; 07 Oct 2012 at 1:47 PM.

America's Best Value Inn
    Dearborn, MI

Date Stayed: August, 2007
    Rate (inc. Taxes): $66.25

Reason for visit: Visiting Greenfield Village

Overall: 2.5
    Value: 1.5
    Amenities: 2
    Sleep Quality: 1
    Noise: 1.5
    Rooms: 2.5
    Cleanliness: 2
    Service: 2
    Proximity to attractions: 3.5
    Ambiance/Character: 3.5
    Other: "Nostalgia": 2.5

Pluses: Close to Downtown Dearborn and Greenfield Village
    Minuses" Noise, cleanliness

Before I begin my review, let's take a look at some recent Tripadvisor reviews.

"Awful... There were women inside and out that appeared to be prostitutes; there were transvestites and shady people hanging all around this building. air conditioners were handing out of the windows, the room smelled and reeked of smoke, there were bugs and knats flying around the front desk area."

"tear this place down ASAP!...The person in the next room was getting high in the room. "

"The worst hotel.. ever"

"Traveler beware...bedbugs and roaches"

Well, my experience wasn't as bad as all that, but then again, it was over five years ago, so it could have deteriorated a lot over that time. I do member that it looked nice on the outside (an older 1920s hotel), but was rather dirty and badly maintained on the inside. What's worse, I didn't sleep much that night because the floors were paper-thin and some a-hole in the room above mine kept walking around and heard footsteps all night. The $66 room rate was way, way too high for what you got but still did little to keep out the lowlifes.

I would never be able to stay at a place like this today, with my extreme noise-sensitivity and insomnia. Back then, I was much more tolerant of places like this. But even this one tested my limits.

Trip Advisor Review

Last edited by Super Amputee Cat; 07 Oct 2012 at 2:54 PM.

it seems I forgot an earlier review. Let's "backtrack" to November, 2007

Motel 6
    Southgate, Michigan

Location: 18777 Northline Road, I-75 at Northline Road/Allen Road, Exit #37, Southgate, MI
    Date Stayed: November, 2007
    Rate (inc. Taxes): $43.19

Nov. 2012 Internet Rate for 1 room w/2 Queen Beds and micro-fridge $57.72 (weekdays) to $61.92 (weekends) inc. 10.5% TAX. Singles w/o Micro and fridge are from $48.27

Reason for visit: Visiting Henry Ford Museum

Overall: 4
    Value: 4.5
    Amenities: 3
    Rooms: 3.5
    Cleanliness: 3.5
    Service: 3.5
    Proximity to attractions: 4
    Ambiance/Character: 3
    Other: "Nostalgia": 3.5

Pluses: Value, easy access to downtown Detroit and Greenfield Village
    Minuses: No continental breakfast (some rooms have kitchenettes)

This is one of the better Motel 6's I've stayed at. Though it was a long time ago that I stayed here, it was clean and noise did not appear to be a factor. If you are looking for a cheap place to stay while visiting the Henry Ford Museum or downtown Detroit, this is probably one of the best choices out there. Any closer to the city and you’re going to pay a lot more or risk staying at marginal hotels that attract the druggies/crazies.

Note: One of the fond memories of this particular hotel is playing cards with the kids. I forgot to bring playing cards, so we had to go to a grocery store and get them. We used Necco wafers as chips for the games we played.

Room Tip: Get a room on the west side of the hotel, to mitigate expressway noise from I-75

Google View
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q&layer...AQ&gl=US&hl=en

Trip Advisor Reviews are mixed with extremes in both high and low reviews but no "average" reviews.

Last edited by Super Amputee Cat; 13 Oct 2012 at 2:34 PM.

I am taking down this post and will repost it later. Now is a time of mourning and not to be rating hotels. Thank you for all your comments so far and I hope that my posts can bring just 10% of the joy that Bear has brought to these forums.
    Last edited by Super Amputee Cat; 18 Oct 2012 at 3:57 PM.

Pine Top Lodge
    Eureka Springs, Arkansas

Date Stayed: June, 2007
    Rate (inc. Taxes): $47.36

Note: I could not find a listing for this hotel on Trip Advisor. I called the number I found on Google and it was disconnected. It appears, from this article that the motel was severely damaged by fire a year ago. .

Reason for visit: Stopover

Overall: 5
    Value: 5
    Sleep Quality: 4.5
    Rooms: 4.5
    Cleanliness: 5
    Service: 4.5
    Proximity to attractions: 5
    Ambiance/Character: 4
    Other: "Nostalgia": 5

Pluses: Value, location, cleanliness, proximity to attractions
    Minuses: None noted

Staying at this motel is one of those once-in-a-lifetime opportunities of, purely by chance, discovering the perfect lodgings, centrally located in a historic resort town that is near lots of attractions and, is in turn, within an even larger regional attraction (The Ozarks); and is affordable, clean and has character as well.

This was actually an unplanned stay because I was camping about 50 miles to the east along the Buffalo River. But we had driven all the way to the Oklahoma border that day and I was pretty much exhausted from miles of twisting turning mountain roads by the time we rolled back though Eureka Springs.

Too tired to make the final 50 miles, I decided to stay. After a delicious dinner at Cafe Amore we checked into the Pine Top Lodge across the street. At first I was worried about leaving my pop-up camper unattended overnight so far away at the campground, but the kids really liked the place and I was certainly enchanted by what I had seen so far. I certainly did not want to miss the opportunity to explore such a beautiful place as Eureka Springs.

The rooms and bathroom were very clean. In fact, the next morning, before we checked out, I even let my 7-year old daughter take a bath instead of a shower, something I would never allow in a hotel. The motel was probably built in the 1950s and had that rustic “lodge” feel to it. While having modern amenities it had none of that sanitized, insular feel you get at modern-day budget hotels. Though it has been altered by modern windows, it still retained a lot of its original character.

The Pine top is right next to a lot of great restaurants and shopping less than a mile from most of the attractions of Eureka Springs, including the downtown. Within a half-hour drive there is the Pea Ridge National Military Park as well as closeness to plenty of hiking, camping and canoeing in the Ozarks.

I ended up being really glad we stayed overnight here. We spent most of that day just walking around the downtown, going into shops, and learning a lot about Eureka Springs. It may be a little "touristy" but that was just fine with my 9-year old son and 7-year old daughter. With an intact and well-preserved downtown it was certainly much better than places like Branson. I really didn't see much tackiness at all.

This ended up being one of my favorite memories of that 20-day trip with the kids to Mammoth Cave and the Ozarks, a time so long ago that it has entered the realm of mythology....like a dream.

That is why I am deeply saddened by this motel's apparent closure. Just like everything else in life, the good things never seem to last.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Wow!! I gotta visit Eureka Springs. Thanks for sharing, SAC.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    Wow!! I gotta visit Eureka Springs. Thanks for sharing, SAC.

You sure won't be disappointed.

Delete
    Last edited by Super Amputee Cat; 17 Nov 2012 at 8:27 PM. Reason: Duplicate post

Delete
    Last edited by Super Amputee Cat; 17 Nov 2012 at 8:21 PM.

Amierca's Best Value Inn
    Brinkley, Arkansas

Mosquitoes and Cockroaches

Date Stayed: June, 2007
    Rate (inc. Taxes): $50.40

Note: This motel appears to have been changed to Crown Inn. According to the site it was "renovated" in 2001. Adding to the confusion, the motel appears to have also been a Best Western for a brief time

Reason for visit: Stopover

Overall: 2
    Value: 1
    Amenities: 2
    Sleep Quality: 2.5
    Rooms: 3
    Cleanliness: 0
    Service: 2
    Proximity to attractions: 1
    Ambiance/Character: 2
    Other: "Nostalgia": 2

Pluses: None noted
    Minuses: Cleanliness, value and...ROACHES!

After spending the day in Memphis and then down through Mississippi, we crossed the river at Helena and were on our way to camping at Petit John State Park. However, it was getting late, the kids were hungry and tired from playing at Mud Island, so I decided to get a motel room somewhere east of Little Rock. That way we could get an early start in setting up the camper the next morning.

After seeing nothing at all on Route 49 north of Helena, we stopped at Brinkley, seemingly in the in the middle of nowhere in Eastern Arkansas. Being off the interstate, the availability of motels looked promising and it appeared to be last major town before Little Rock.

After checking in at a motel called the Heritage Inn, I was attacked by mosquitoes as I unpacked stuff from carrier on top of the car. Inside the motel room which looked quite dirty, I discovered dead cockroaches in the bathroom. My daughter wouldn’t go in, so I asked for and got a refund.

We then headed to an America’s Best Value Inn across the street. By now, the mosquitoes were so bad they were actually attacking us inside the car. At the front desk, a sign read “No Refunds Due to Mosquito Infestation.” . The recommended piling all your belongings at the front door and then bringing them all in at once rather than leaving the door open and letting them in.

The motel appeared cleaner than the Heritage Inn at first, but Inside the room there was another dead cockroach in the bathroom. Tired from driving all the way from Memphis, I was not about to look for another hotel, which would have probably required us to drive all the way to Little Rock. We heeded the advice on the sign and kept the outside door closed, yet one or two mosquitoes managed to get inside. Try as we might to slap them, they were too fast. Needless to say, the next morning, my son had been bitten over 20 times.

The hotel was half-vacant with entire sections in the rear annex devoid of interior lighting and rooms looking like they hadn’t been rented in months. The parking lot was in poor shape with grass growing out of the numerous cracks. The ice machine was broken. Grass grew in large array of cracks in the parking lots.

The next morning we beat a hasty retreat. Not sure why there was such a mosquito infestation but Eastern Arkansas is swampy and maybe they had a lot of rain that Spring. That was out of the control of the mote, but there was no excuse for dead cockroaches in the bathroom.

Brochures of both Best Value and Heritage Inn showed nice clean rooms.  They couldn’t have been more than a couple of years old.  Something bad seemed to have happened to Brinkley to make its hotel operators give up on their properties and implementing only the most marginal upkeep.  On the way into Brinkley, on U.S 49, we had seen a burned out 50s style hotel on the west side of the road as we approached downtown.  A sign pointed to the destroyed hotel stating Brinkley Inn.  The clerk at Heritage Inn said that there was a meth lab in it that blew up.  So maybe that had something to do with it.

Trip Advisor Reviews are negative but most of the negative reviews are from 2006, before renovations.

Last edited by Super Amputee Cat; 17 Nov 2012 at 8:40 PM.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat View post
    Three queen beds in a room? Never seen that before.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Three queen beds in a room? Never seen that before.
    That wasn't our room. I think our room had only two queen beds but the layout or the room was similar. The last three pictures are from the Trip Advisor page for this hotel.

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

More at Cyburbia

1. Rate yourself from 1 to 10 in.....
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 30 Oct 2013, 1:42 PM
  2. Uses Extended stay hotels/motels
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 16 Jul 2013, 8:58 PM
  3. Worst place you've stayed on a trip