Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Colonialism in reverse?

Registered
    Aug 2008

Colonialism in reverse?

See link to story about big money from overseas preying on local land that they tell investors is "undervalued".

http://flagpole.com/news/2012/aug/01...f-caterpillar/

Registered
    Nov 2006
    It just sounds like another big-time developer to me, just that this one is multinational.
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

This seems like a project with issues. But don't compare it to Oil companies in Nigeria, Belgium's exploitation of the Congo, banana companies over throwing democratically elected governments in Central America.

You'll have much more sympathy.

Registered
    Aug 2008
    Certainly in terms of scale my comparison is not a fair one when you think about big oil in Nigeria, big oil in Ecuador, United Fruit in Guatemala, or even Halliburton in Iraq, but I do think this kind of development here is sort of like the tip of an iceberg, or better yet the melting of the edges of an icecap of hegemony.

What galls me is the idea that overseas money is so superfluous that it could be targeted by speculators for relatively small-scale Ponzi type schemes involving American real estate.

Of the county impacted by the story I am reminded of a saying I heard regarding Mexico. "Poor Mexico, so far from God, so close to the United States". "Poor Jackson County, so far from God, so close to Interstate 85".

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Reverse commuters
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 04 Oct 2006, 9:54 PM
  2. Replies: 35
    Last post: 04 Aug 2006, 12:44 PM
  3. Reverse Twist on NIMBY
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 31 Oct 2004, 10:38 PM
  4. Subdivision Reverse lots, The biggest crime?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 06 Nov 2002, 3:34 PM