Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Technology changes for your house.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.

Technology changes for your house.

Over the weekend, I was thinking about some of the technology changes that my house has gone through. 120 years ago, the house was heated with coal burring steam radiators and 3 fire places and gas pipes in the wall supplied lamps and with the fuel for light.

Today my wife and kids watches cartoons on Netflix, streamed off our blu-ray player, wirelessly connected to the internet, and shown on a flat screen TV. I check on our 5 month old when he starts crying in his crib with a wireless camera showing an image and sound on my iPad.

Now my house is not as cool as this one built in the 50’s but it has still undergone some changes.

But even with the motion detection light switches, wireless internet, and CFL light bulbs, it is only a fraction of what could be possible with home technology. Some of today’s full home automation systems allow a person to control every outlet, speaker, light, and dozens of individual electronics with a push of a button on a smart phone. Here is an example...

What do you think people would have said 120 years ago if we would describe the technology that we have in our homes today? What will the tech look like in our houses in 50 or 100 years?
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    What do you think people would have said 120 years ago if we would describe the technology that we have in our homes today? What will the tech look like in our houses in 50 or 100 years?
    I'm still looking for the instructions.

All this technology you're talking about costs money. I'm no Luddite, but I don't see us (and many others) being able to afford it... And there are many parts of the country where people are still using dial-up Internet service.

I don't think you could explain the modern home to someone 120 years ago. Tech has advanced so rapidly that there is no starting point. As for 50 years from now, it's hard to predict. Again, tech advances so rapidly now that it's hard to predict.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    I don't think you could explain the modern home to someone 120 years ago. Tech has advanced so rapidly that there is no starting point. As for 50 years from now, it's hard to predict. Again, tech advances so rapidly now that it's hard to predict.
    I would predict some type of Artificial Intelligence would be involved in 50 years where you would be able to communicate with a house mainframe like you saw on Star Trek TNG. I also see more homes using geothermal, solar, and wind as the cost of energy goes up.
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    QFT. I believe there's a fairly famous editorial from an 1890s newspaper essentially asking, "what more can be invented"?

The pace of technology has been increasing significantly ever since about the 18th century, and increased rapidly beginning about the turn of the 20th century. It has simply skyrocketed in the last half century, going in directions that people "back then" never even anticipated.

I don't think we can even begin to imagine what our world will be like in another half century, just as the futurists of the 1920s and the 1950s got it wrong, too.
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Resistance to use of technology
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 41
    Last post: 12 Jan 2010, 2:34 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 May 2009, 1:50 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last post: 23 May 2005, 5:31 PM
  4. Technology and Sprawl
    Perry's Cantina (archive)