Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning jobs in Canada?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2012

Planning jobs in Canada?

My spouse may be offered a job in Vancouver. If that happens I may have to consider uprooting myself from a relatively stable job and heading up north to be a stay-at-home dad until I can find a job, if that is possible. I have heard it is pretty tough to break into the Canadian job market as a non-citizen, even if your spouse is employed in Canada.

I have a few questions:

1. Leaving aside the immigration issues, does anyone know anything about the general health of the planning profession in Canada? Is it better than the US or just as dismal?

2. Is it at all common for Canadian agencies to hire planners with US education and experience?

Thanks

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally posted by bentobox34 View post
    My spouse may be offered a job in Vancouver. If that happens I may have to consider uprooting myself from a relatively stable job and heading up north to be a stay-at-home dad until I can find a job, if that is possible. I have heard it is pretty tough to break into the Canadian job market as a non-citizen, even if your spouse is employed in Canada.

I have a few questions:

1. Leaving aside the immigration issues, does anyone know anything about the general health of the planning profession in Canada? Is it better than the US or just as dismal?

2. Is it at all common for Canadian agencies to hire planners with US education and experience?

Thanks
    Don't have any relevant answers but will say that Vancouver is awesome. Enjoy the chinese food and mountain biking.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    1) I would say the planning profession is much healthier than in the U.S.A. That being said, it's still a tough market, and your lack of "local" experience could be an issue depending on what type of planning you do.

2) Transportation planners and urban designers have it easier than development review planners as there is less need to be versed in Canadian land use planning regulations.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    From my experience I would say the market for planners is much better in Canada. BUT, good luck getting a planning job in the Vancouver area. Every planner and their dog wants to plan in Vancouver, so there's a ton of competition. Bring your 'A' game.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 03 Dec 2013, 2:06 PM
  2. Planning in Canada
    Student Commons
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 10 Oct 2009, 4:13 AM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last post: 12 May 2009, 9:38 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 21 Jan 2008, 9:34 AM