Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: *taps mic* Karaoke songs

Registered
    Aug 2005

*taps mic* Karaoke songs

Whenever I'm faced with the threat of karaoke I always seem at a loss for a good song to sing. I end up flipping through the book trying to find something that I know, like, and think will provide me a chance of not being humiliated. I need a go-to song or two for karaoke. Every now and then while listening to the radio I think to myself, oooh, that would be a good one for karaoke.

What are your go-to songs? What makes a good karaoke song?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    [shakes head]dandy dandy dandy.....you're making this harder than it needs to be. If you're struggling with a choice then the thing to do is to have a few more drinks. Once you are no longer burdened with sobriety, the choice inevitably makes itself quite clear at that moment and it really won't matter which song you sing, it will be the right one regardless. And embarassment/self-consciousness will no longer factor in either: ( I've been to paradise but I've never been to meeeee....feelings nothing more than feelings whoah whoah whoah feeeeeelings.....I'm not the kinda girl you want to take home ..... R-O-C-K in the USA R-O-C-K in the USA......)

EDIT: if all else fails I recommend that classic tune by The Champs - "Tequila" www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG6P2rBU-ho (and if you're really blasted you get double points for doing the Pee Wee Herman 'big shoe' dance with it)
    Last edited by Maister; 15 Aug 2012 at 10:01 AM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Pour some sugar on me

Don't stop believing

Wanted Dead or Alive

Bohemian Rhapsody
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Friends in Low Places. Everybody should have to sing Garth Brooks sometimes.

Also, anything from Grease seems to be the female go-to of choice.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Funny that you mention karaoke dandy.. after a particularly brutal public meeting last night I needed a beer and the only establishment still serving was a place with "karaoke night". It was excruciating. One horrible, drunken embarrassment after another. The worst performance of them all was a god-awful rendition of that country song where the guy gets cancer and goes sky-diving, rocky mountain climbin' and other adventurous stuff. The singer, err musical offender, started getting all emotional with it, and that was the last straw for me (my "pound it and leave" moment).

What's the deal with "serious karaoke guy"? You know who I'm talking about- that middle-aged dude who's a karaoke regular but he's always flying solo, like he's too serious to be bothered by social interaction. He might nurse a beer or stick to soda, because he's not there to drink- he's there to put on a show! And to his credit, his voice is decent and he's got a few classic rock anthems down pat (think Foreigner, Journey, .38 Special, etc). Serious karaoke guy also probably thinks the chicks dig him, even thought his fastball ain't what it used to be (his "glory days", if he ever had any, were probably 20 years ago).

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    What's the deal with "serious karaoke guy"? You know who I'm talking about- that middle-aged dude who's a karaoke regular but he's always flying solo, like he's too serious to be bothered by social interaction. He might nurse a beer or stick to soda, because he's not there to drink- he's there to put on a show! And to his credit, his voice is decent and he's got a few classic rock anthems down pat (think Foreigner, Journey, .38 Special, etc). Serious karaoke guy also probably thinks the chicks dig him, even thought his fastball ain't what it used to be (his "glory days", if he ever had any, were probably 20 years ago).

Like this guy?

“As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    May 2005
    I have only sang karaoke once at a friend's party. After enough beer, I sang "Eye of the Tiger." It. Was. Epic.

Can't see myself going out to sing karaoke or anything like that (singing is, er, not my strong suit) but at a party, its pretty dang fun.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I have an absolutely horrific, scattered and black and white memory of APA-NOLA singing karoeke: Barracuda with a few women friends and Taking Care of Business with a male buddy - yes, I did see cell phones raised whilst belting it out so somewhere in the deep bowels of YouTube, it must rest - I don't recommend it...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 14
    Last post: 16 Dec 2013, 3:40 PM
  2. karaoke heroes
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 08 Feb 2008, 10:07 PM
  3. Karaoke in Deutschland
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 07 Oct 2006, 11:11 PM