Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The nostalgia advisory board

Registered
    Feb 2004

The nostalgia advisory board

I was going to blow the dust off the my old VHS tape "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure". I got the tape maybe a year after the movie ran in theaters and watched it once right after buying it. I recall laughing my ass off when watching it at home. Due to some moves and other life events I forgot the tape existed and have not seen the movie for about 21 years. I rediscovered the tape this weekend but for some reason hesitated throwing it in the VCR.....I have such fond memories of the movie, what if I find out today that it aged poorly and actually sucks? Should I watch 'Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure' or would I be further ahead to play it safe and leave it as having fond memories of the flick?

If you have a question for the Throbbing Brian and wish to know whether it thinks, say, putting on your gold lame disco unitard, or spending a weekend doing a Simpson's Season 1 marathon are good ideas, or whether you should just live with fond memories instead, this is the thread to pose/answer those questions.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Should I watch 'Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure' or would I be further ahead to play it safe and leave it as having fond memories of the flick?
    These things rarely turn out well. You can't go home again.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I rediscovered the tape this weekend but for some reason hesitated throwing it in the VCR....
    Dude, you still have a VCR?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    I always thought he was a Maister Betamax kind of guy.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    AND - a TV that can play the signal that it sends out?

Mike

Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    AND - a TV that can play the signal that it sends out?

Mike
    He probably has a CRT with bunny ears.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2005
    I only got rid of our VCR last week...

I don't know if Bill and Ted's would still be funny or interesting. I do know I watched an episode of Gilligan's Island a few years ago. Holy crap that's an appallingly terrible show!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    He probably has a CRT with bunny ears.
    Yes, actually. (although we don't use it to watch tv on, just play NES games)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    Yes, actually. (although we don't use it to watch tv on, just play NES games)
    You mean Atari, don't you?
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    You mean Atari, don't you?
    Yes, I'm sorry. I meant whoever it was that makes that delightful game called 'Pong'

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Yes, I'm sorry. I meant whoever it was that makes that delightful game called 'Pong'
    I actually had you pegged as a ColecoVision guy Maister

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Maister,

I have a similar quandary. Should I watch my VHS copy of "Altered States" again? It was one of my favorite movies back in the day.

On one hand there is the opportunity to see Blair Brown sans clothing. In the 1980s I really liked her.

But, on the other hand, all the previous times I saw the movie, I was in an altered state, so it might be a huge letdown and seem rather silly when viewed without herbal enhancement.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I thought Bill and Red was a great Movie. How could it not be with George Carlin and a member of the Go-Go's.

Sometimes I think of So-crates and just laugh. Other times I think of them explaining to So-crates that all they are is 'dust in the wind dude' and how So-crates went nuts!

Of course it does not hold a candle to the best movie of all times.... "The Blues Brothers" Which surprisingly has been given the thumbs up by the Catholic Church of one of the movies that all catholics should watch.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    I thought Bill and Red was a great Movie. How could it not be with George Carlin and a member of the Go-Go's.

Sometimes I think of So-crates and just laugh. Other times I think of them explaining to So-crates that all they are is 'dust in the wind dude' and how So-crates went nuts!

Of course it does not hold a candle to the best movie of all times.... "The Blues Brothers" Which surprisingly has been given the thumbs up by the Catholic Church of one of the movies that all catholics should watch.
    Well, The Blues Brothers was about those two guys who were on a mission to raise money to cover a tax assessment on a Catholic charitable facility, doing it in a fun and positive light, so why not?

Mike

Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    Well, The Blues Brothers was about those two guys who were on a mission to raise money to cover a tax assessment on a Catholic charitable facility, doing it in a fun and positive light, so why not?

Mike
    The whole Mother Superior scene comes to mind............... Btw, nice jab at the government with the tax assessment comment.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post

When you think about it it's kinda odd how the Good Guys end up going to jail (and make no mistake the Blues Brothers were the good guys, what with them trying to run over nazis and save an orphanage).

OT I watched Blues Brothers (for about the 8th time) last year and found it had aged exceptionally well (comedies as a rule don't do well over time).. If it's not already, it will very soon be considered a classic film.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    OT I watched Blues Brothers (for about the 8th time) last year and found it had aged exceptionally well (comedies as a rule don't do well over time).. If it's not already, it will very soon be considered a classic film.
    It was a comedy? I know lots of people who live like that!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2004
    So we got season 1 of the "Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys Mysteries" last week and watched a couple episodes with Junior. He loved 'em. Once you get past the bell bottom jeans and sideburns, you find the writing holds up surprisingly well (or at any rate remains consistent/on par with the orginal books).

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I don't remember the show so I can't comment on the writing, but I think kids are not as affected as us wise adults by dated clothing and hairstyles. As long as you have a good story they're hooked.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    May 2002
    Not to (you know what) in your Cheerios, but nostalgia is vastly overrated. As a product of the 80's, I'll choose to remember my memories fondly instead of rehashing the horrible-ness that was 80's culture. I think too highly of Voltron and Knight Rider to actually rewatch those shows, and I can't listen to very much of my precious hair band music anymore either.

Now, this does not apply to the products of the 80's that I never saw the first time around. So, by all means, let's have a Bill and Ted Excellent Adventure viewing party, because I still haven't seen the whole movie yet. Just don't blame me when I start making Matrix jokes during the showing, thanks to Keanu Reeves.
    The cookies are worth the drive

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Coragus View post
    Now, this does not apply to the products of the 80's that I never saw the first time around. So, by all means, let's have a Bill and Ted Excellent Adventure viewing party, because I still haven't seen the whole movie yet. Just don't blame me when I start making Matrix jokes during the showing, thanks to Keanu Reeves.
    Yes, because you can see so much growth as an actor between the two shows.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Max Headroom - the show
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Speaking of 80s movies, I loved the movies I watched back then. Ferris Bueller's Day Out? Adventure of the Babysitter? All these movies about teenagers living along Chicago's North Shore suburbs? Classic. They've aged very well and it's also interesting to note how cities in the 1980s were viewed as a mix of danger and decay with bits of high glamor contained with the skyscraper fortresses while the suburbs were safe paradise.

Have people started making movies that take place in the 1980s? We've had movies that take place in the 70s but not the 80s. Wonder why as the time must be ripe for a good ol' ye olde 1980s movie.

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by PennPlanner View post
    Speaking of 80s movies, I loved the movies I watched back then. Ferris Bueller's Day Out? Adventure of the Babysitter? All these movies about teenagers living along Chicago's North Shore suburbs? Classic. They've aged very well and it's also interesting to note how cities in the 1980s were viewed as a mix of danger and decay with bits of high glamor contained with the skyscraper fortresses while the suburbs were safe paradise.

Have people started making movies that take place in the 1980s? We've had movies that take place in the 70s but not the 80s. Wonder why as the time must be ripe for a good ol' ye olde 1980s movie.
    Adventures in Babysitting with Elisabeth Shue I actually think there were alot of 80's movies that have done pretty well and still hold up.

There have been a few movies, such as American Psycho, set in the 1980s, but it's certainly not as much as those for the 1970s. Perhaps the 70s seems more over the top?
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I am very much into nostalgia, particularly music. To me, music is timeless. I still predominantly listen to older rock music (and some pop and country music as well) when I'm in my car or by myself. 80s hard rock music is still the best kind of music to blare with the windows down IMHO. I've also been very much into 90s alternative rock as that takes me back to my childhood and a wonderful blissful era. I do seek out new stuff by myself as well. I'd say as far as stuff I listen to by myself, it's about 75% old, 25% new. However, I listen to a lot of new music at social gatherings, hanging out with friends, and by what's playing on the Sirius XM pop/AC station at work 40+ hours a week. However, even in social gatherings, many of my friends and other people in my generation get nostalgic for the past and often put on stuff on that takes us back to better times.

It's been said that due to the recession and the difficult economic and political climate and the catastrophes that have seemed to plague us starting with 9/11, people have increasingly been nostalgic. It doesn't help that pop culture deteriorated in the mid-2000s, dominated by hip hop culture, emo music, and dance music. It seems to have gotten better recently, with some decent singer-songwriters, better pop music, and better alternative/indie music. It's still very all over the place though. At least there are more options now though.

I think TV sucks nowadays and cannot get into any of the new shows that are out there. The sitcoms are too over-the-top and contrived. Some of the dramas can pass the time, but even those are so fake and predictable. All the TV shows I watch are old. Some have gotten cheesier and worse with time, but I'd still rather watch them than the current stuff. Most of the TV I watch is sports anyways though.

Movies are a different story. There are some good new movies being made. And I'll still go the theater to see a new film. I don't really watch old movies all that much, except around the holidays when I watch a mix of old holiday films and non-holiday old films during the time off.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The Man Card TM Advisory Council
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 234
    Last post: 05 Sep 2014, 9:34 AM
  2. 45 record nostalgia
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12