Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Summer Camp

Registered
    Mar 2007

Summer Camp

On the evening of the 3rd I was sitting outside with a couple of friends having a beer after the local fireworks display and had just sprayed my legs with Off to keep the bugs away and the smell made me nostalgic for summer camp. I suddenly had memories of lining up for my turn to be sprayed with mosquito repellent each evening.

I went to summer camp for a couple weeks each summer from about 3rd grade through 7th or 8th grade. It was a camp run by the local Episcopal diocese but wasn't very religious. I never really learned anything at these camps but did get to try my hand at archery and canoeing. My favorite activity was always just hiking through woods and the evenings when we would get to do night time hikes.

A good number of my friends went to some sort of camp each summer, be it a camp like mine which was basically just an excuse for your parents to get rid of you for some time or some sort of theme camp - my wife used to go to an equestrian camp each summer and of course there were band camps and art camps and sport camps. But when I was older and joined the Marines and met people from other parts of the country, particularly the South and the West Coast, summer camp seemed like a foreign concept to them. Is it mainly a Midwest and Northeast phenomena?

How about among my fellow Cyburbians? Did you go to summer camp? If so, do you have any particularly strong memories or interesting stories? Do you send your kids to camp each summer?
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2004
    My parents found a campground on Traverse Bay with a bar, happy hour, and hot tub. We would go every year with a bunch of people from our church.

The kids would fry on the beach while the parents would drink and smoke in the bar. At night they would drink and smoke by the campfire while the kids went hog wild in the pinball arcade playing wild new games like pong.

About ten years ago I took my dad out west to visit yellowstone and glacier. We camped in the lodges. He about went stark-raving mad because there were no televisions, the newspapers were a couple of days old, and the cell phones did not work hardly at all. By the time we made it to the lakeside lodge in glacier he was so upset that I had to cancel the reservation and we spent the night in a cheap motel in Hungry Horse MT!

I guess big city folks don't like the great outdoors much. Since digital TV was enacted I can't get my parents to spend many weeks at the cabin anymore either. Digital TV while a boon for cable-less city folks largely means rural areas get no television unless the conditions are right and even then, it is PBS's cooking shows.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I've led a horrible life, I never went to camp. I did go to a cub scout jamboree in California once, does that count?
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2013
    I've been to summer camp, but I don't really remember much of it.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Never went to camp. After we moved away, I got sent to the grandparents or just dorked around in the subdivision, worked in the garden, chopped wood, etc. When I got old enough to get a job, I got one or helped out with my dad's side businesses.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Never went as a kid, but worked at one for 6 years. Did jobs ranging from kitchen help to counselor to division head to land/sports director.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I went to an Outward Bound-ish summer camp my 7th grade and 8th grade summers. It was for 9 days in the Adirondacks and was pretty awesome. I met some nice people and formed some great bonds for that week and a month or two later.

I also went to Girl Scout Camp once or twice. I hated it. I cried every night and was basically miserable. Part of it was everyone else there was there with a friend or two and I was by my lonesome.

I also went to a horseback riding day camp for a week on year. I did not enjoy it. Especially after the day that I got thrown from a horse, dragged by my foot in the stirrup and then told by the counselors that it was my fault, with nary a "are you ok??"
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I went to an Outward Bound-ish summer camp my 7th grade and 8th grade summers. It was for 9 days in the Adirondacks and was pretty awesome. I met some nice people and formed some great bonds for that week and a month or two later.
    I always thought those kinds of camps looked fun, like in the movies. I only ever went to Scout camps, and then worked at the summer camps for MDA, but they're not "Campy" like described above.

Tell some more stories about camp! I never went to that kind of camp and I feel I'll be incomplete unless I can pretend that I did, so I need data.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    YMCA - both day and week long sleep away.
    Scouts - 2 different Council camps - one as a camper and as counselor in upstate NY (posted about several times)
    and
    National - Philmont (posted about before)
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    My sister and I did a couple weeks of Girl Scout day camp when our mom was a scout leader. It was OK, before helicopter parenting, the leaders mostly stayed in one area (probably having daiquiris) and let us run all over the place.

My sister was the only one who went away to camp when we were maybe 13-15, up in western N Carolina. She loved it. I didn't much like the idea of sleepaway camp, so I passed on it. The good part was, she was away for 2 to 4 weeks at a time (we rarely got along).

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I got sent to Fish Camp when I was 15. One month in Key Largo. I don't like to fish. My parents wanted to get me away from friends they considered unsavory. Of course they were unsavory. That is why I wanted them as friends!!

The downside was the fishing. I caught one fish in the month I was there. The upside was scuba diving. There was also a private island that was really half mangrove swamp. It had everything - no electricity, no running water, no air conditioning, pit toilets, scorpions, and mangrove crabs. The food was delivered twice a day by boat. When we weren't on the island, we were stacked nine to a room in a motel.

Eventually I forgave my parents.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jan 2013
    Never went to camp. I assume they cost money - I was never allowed to do anything that costed money.

We went camping as a family a lot in the summertimes though.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    I grew up on a farm in the country. I had my own pony, then a horse. Campfires were a week-end tradition when my cousins from the city would come out to visit. My dad would take fishing in the early evening after chores and dinner. We picked wild blackberries and thimbleberries whenever we found them. We went swimming in the creek regularly, swinging across it and dropping into the water using hay ropes thrown over willow limbs. When we got bored, we would target shoot with either .22s or bows. Going to summer camp would have been redundant.
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Church camp a couple times, 4-H camp once. I didn't like mandatory organized activities so I'd sneak off on my own whenever I could. Still don't, probably why cruises don't have any appeal to me.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Yep. Four weeks each summer for about four years. Quintessential camp in northern New England with a large lake, cottages, dining hall and a bunch of activities and hiking expeditions.

I liked it but I don't remember too much of it all these years later. It wasn't the transformative experience the movies sometimes have you think it is. What I remember the most are the long drive to the camp, the bugs, the exposed air inside the cabins (you weren't quite outdoors yet you weren't quite indoors). Of the activities the water sports stood out the most - kayaking, swimming, rafting, water skiing. And the mountains. Damn. Having lived in the middle east desert for the last five years I miss the green mountains of New England.

I also remember that boasting about the poor quality of your camp food was de rigueur when you returned to school that fall.

Registered
    May 2002
    For five or six years, I went to a week long Boy Scout camp. It was good times, and it aforded a lot of opportunities to earn merit badges that were difficult to earn otherwise.
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Linda_D View post
    I grew up on a farm in the country. I had my own pony, then a horse. Campfires were a week-end tradition when my cousins from the city would come out to visit. My dad would take fishing in the early evening after chores and dinner. We picked wild blackberries and thimbleberries whenever we found them. We went swimming in the creek regularly, swinging across it and dropping into the water using hay ropes thrown over willow limbs. When we got bored, we would target shoot with either .22s or bows. Going to summer camp would have been redundant.
    This sounds almost too Americana-esque. Did you live in a Norman Rockwell painting?

I also grew up on a farm in the country and can actually relate to that. I think my parents liked sending me to camp for a couple of weeks each summer though because a) it was free since my grandfather helped build the church that they went to so the church paid for me and b) it got me out of their hair, and with 4 other kids at home, there was no shortage of hands to help with chores.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Apr 2013
    I went to week-long church camp every summer from middle school up. Think walk-the-sawdust-trail hellfire preaching every night, segregated swimming, no shorts on girls camp. In high school I also went to debate and music camps at the illustrious school where I ended up going for college.

They were mostly good experiences, but I could do without the guilt-fests. I came away very confused and angsty from some of the camps.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Mr. Sherman provides the definitive analysis of summer camp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea2EuozaJ7s
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Mr. Sherman provides the definitive analysis of summer camp
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea2EuozaJ7s
    Classic - Finest Kind
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Camp
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 05 Jun 2012, 10:18 AM
  2. Camp
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 30
    Last post: 08 May 2010, 9:42 PM
  3. Replies: 6