Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Need help getting rid of a "happy ending" massage parlor

Registered
    Feb 2012

Need help getting rid of a "happy ending" massage parlor

We have this Asian massage place which offers "happy endings". A guy is an owner/manager and the lady does the job (husband and wife). We do not allow free standing massage parlors. We allow only offices of the licensed massage therapists. Licensed massage therapist has to come in, show active license from the state. About 3 years ago, person who worked before me did not check the license and let the husband, not the lady, be the applicant and let them open.

Now the landlord is kicking them out and they are looking to relocate. I told the guy that his "wife" will have to come in and apply herself and show active massage therapist's license. Which she does not have. She has body wrapper's license which is a subcategory of a cosmetology license.

Now my concern is, if she comes in herself and puts in an application to open up a cosmetology salon. I will have to approve it. But they will continue calling themselves Asian massage and advertise as such. Even their official business name (as registered with the state) contains words Asian Massage.

My objective here is to not let them open in a new location. Any help and advise greatly appreciated.

Registered
    Aug 2008
    No state licnese for the use no approval.

Registered
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally posted by fringe View post
    No state licnese for the use no approval.
    what if she comes in and applies to open up a body wrapping SPA and shows an active, legit body wrapper's license?!? That's my concern. I will have to let them open. But very next day they will put up a sign "Asian Massage" and advertise online and in local papers "tired of bad-looking and not- caring massage therapists? Come see our Asian good looking professionals!!"

This is a code enforcement\law enforcement issue. You answered your own question if they come in with a "body wrapper's" license.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I agree, if they open as a 'body-wrapping spa', you'll have to periodically send in undercover cops to keep tabs on them and then go after them with whatever you have in the arsenal if they are found to be offering a little bit 'extra'.

Good luck!

Mike

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by OfficialPlanner View post
    This is a code enforcement\law enforcement issue. You answered your own question if they come in with a "body wrapper's" license.
    This would be handled the same way as any other code enforcement issue. If you had an applicant that came in and applied as a repair shop and they start doing a junkyard you would go after them as a code enforcement issue. In the case of this "spa" if their use differs from what they have an approved permit for it is a code enforcement issue. If they are adding sexual behavior to the mix then you may need to get the police involved. As others suggested, I would talk to your PD and have them keep an eye on the business with undercover officers if needed.

Good luck, these parlors can be a real PITA and seem to pop up even if you shut one down.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Folks have already touched on the Code Enforcement/Law Enforcement aspect. However, a thought came to mind in how to prevent them from reopening.

If a masseuse is required to have a license, I bet it is subject to some type of state board that governs things like the use of the term "massage" in a business name that does not employ licensed masseusers. Likewise, you might be able to go after her bodywrap license if she is attempting to use it in a way that is inconsistent with its purpose or conflicts with a separate state license.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

SR, that's an interesting point. I'm conflicted. Presumably the state's division of business and professional regulation would have an issue with the word "massage" being used in the sign and advertising but would it be appropriate to tip them off? If so should it be done anonymously, in the official capacity as the planner, or by the city's legal?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...d010_blog.html

This looks like a PR nightmare for Falls Church. Reminded me of this thread..
    The content contrarian

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Apr 2013, 6:10 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 9:38 AM
  3. Replies: 38
    Last post: 10 Jul 2009, 12:06 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 25 Jun 2007, 11:39 AM