Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: New job - old salary listed

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008

New job - old salary listed

I just applied for a new job and they asked what I would like as a starting salary and I wrote down 65k. I have now reached the final interview stage. This new job is about an hour away and my wife works in our current city with a contract until next summer so I would have to commute for at least the next year. At the time I applied I was making 55k, so the 10k bump was enough to compensate for the gas and commute time. Since the time of application I have received a substantial raise at my current job and now make about 62k so I am wondering if taking the new job would be financially worthwhile. If I am the one chosen would it be bad form to renegotiate what I asked for or am I pretty much stuck with the 65k? For the hiring managers out there would this completely turn you off if asked for a bit of a bump? What about asking for more vacation than they give new hires? I am at three weeks now but the new job starts new hires at one week. FYI -The salary for the new job is listed at 55-85k.

The job move would be to a lateral position but right now I am the only planner with no chance of upward movement and the new place has a planner, planning manager, and CD director and in an urban area so I feel there is more chance of upward mobility. What would you do in this situation?

For the record I am 30 with no kids. We own a house and we know we will take a loss on any sale. We do not have any student loans. I am involved in community organizations and we are really starting to "fit in" in our current town. We live about 5 minutes from both our jobs now and house prices are pretty inexpensive compared to our salaries. House prices in the new city would be about 50k more for similar houses.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    To me it sounds like you have nothing to lose by asking for a higher salary and/or more vacation. Just explain the situation and they'll either go with it or they won't. If they don't, just keep your current job but keep on sending out applications if you're still interested in moving on.

I personally wouldn't do a lateral move to a place where there might be more mobility potential. You never know, those people above you could be there for years. Or they may hire someone else rather than promoting you. It seems safer to me just to take jobs that will actually advance your career.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Currently, it is not financially worthwhile. All that extra time on the road as well as wear and tear on your vehicle is worth more than $2-$3k per year.

What is not known however is which position offers more upward mobility. If you feel you care currently stuck in you current classification and will stay there for a while, but the other has ample opportunities for climbing the ladder it may be worth it, then again it may not be worth it.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jul 2011
    The fact that you wrote $65k on some application is irrelevant. Its not a contract, for pete's sake. Circumstances change, on both ends.

Get the offer, then negotiate. That's how these things work.

There is a salary number that will make it worthwhile for you to move. When they give you an offer, tell them that number.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Salary question
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 27 Jun 2007, 6:57 PM
  2. Salary negotiation
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 25 Apr 2007, 2:39 PM
  3. Negotiating salary