Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Volunteer fire departments and fire culture

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011

Volunteer fire departments and fire culture

Has anyone ever been a member of a volunteer fire department? Thinking about joining our local one but I don't know too much about it, mostly what the time commitment is like. I'm pretty familiar with standard fire procedure, I was in the fire explorers when I was younger (went to a few live burns, had my own equipment and did some training). I just think my free time could be better spent than sitting around watching TV...

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    Has anyone ever been a member of a volunteer fire department? Thinking about joining our local one but I don't know too much about it, mostly what the time commitment is like. I'm pretty familiar with standard fire procedure, I was in the fire explorers when I was younger (went to a few live burns, had my own equipment and did some training). I just think my free time could be better spent than sitting around watching TV...
    I was, but that was over 25 yrs ago, a Volunteer Firefighter/EMT-B, was a State Certified Firefighter 2, dept qualified driver/engineer for Rescue & Engine, was part of a seasonal shifting program (was first step toward a paid dept).

===================================================================================
    What are the membership requirements ?
    training time - weekly & annual, achieve state certifications, ability to attended day long weekend county wide apprentice/rookie classes ?
    response to calls - yearly %
    general membership meetings and special event work parties
    is it on call (pager) or shift duty (after basic training)

Officers ?
    elected or appointed based upon KSA (knowledge, skills & abilities)

Is this an all volunteer or combo dept ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    I was, but that was over 25 yrs ago, a Volunteer Firefighter/EMT-B, was a State Certified Firefighter 2, dept qualified driver/engineer for Rescue & Engine, was part of a seasonal shifting program (was first step toward a paid dept).

===================================================================================
    What are the membership requirements ?
    training time - weekly & annual, achieve state certifications, ability to attended day long weekend county wide apprentice/rookie classes ?
    response to calls - yearly %
    general membership meetings and special event work parties
    is it on call (pager) or shift duty (after basic training)

Officers ?
    elected or appointed based upon KSA (knowledge, skills & abilities)

Is this an all volunteer or combo dept ?
    Not sure on membership requirements yet. I haven't spoken to the Chief. From what our fire marshal told me, it's pretty much put in what time you want. Apparently our state has authorized training to happen in house. I'm used to weekend classes now since I've been working to get building levels. They had a call log posted online and it looked to be around 5-7 or so a day, sometimes more. It's going to be on call. All our departments in this county are volunteer based with no actual paid positions.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO

Volunteer fire departments are quite popular around here in rural areas or small towns and actually resemble the service organizations (Elks, KOC etc.) of yesteryear in many ways.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Judging from our local rural fire departments, I think your first eligibility requirement will be to gain at least 30 pounds.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Volunteer fire companies are prevalent here.

My oldest son has been a volunteer firefighter since he was 16. I give the firefighters credit for being his adult male role models, and they have done for him what his father wouldn't. He learned skills and responsibility, and developed his work ethic because he spends time at the fire station. Being a volunteer firefighter showed him that there are many ways to give back to your community.

It's a joke that I can drop his name around town and get special treatment. That kid knows everyone, and everyone know him.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    A couple places ago my building inspector was volunteer fire, I remember a number of times he was in the middle of a counter meeting and had to drop everything and go. Our Chief was widely respected as one of the best in the state and his folks were very, very well trained and put a lot of time into it. It wasn't an hour here or there and a couple on the weekend, either. Look before you leap.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Oh Yeah......

CHICKS LOVE FIREMEN
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    Volunteer fire companies are prevalent here.

My oldest son has been a volunteer firefighter since he was 16. I give the firefighters credit for being his adult male role models, and they have done for him what his father wouldn't. He learned skills and responsibility, and developed his work ethic because he spends time at the fire station. Being a volunteer firefighter showed him that there are many ways to give back to your community.

It's a joke that I can drop his name around town and get special treatment. That kid knows everyone, and everyone know him.
    Same here except the bigger cities. I live in Newark which is a paid department, I know many of firefighters at the local firehouse because they tend to be more involved with the community than the police. Tide was a volunteer firefighter in the town that I used live in.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Fire!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 17 Nov 2012, 3:26 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 28 Oct 2008, 5:42 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 14 Aug 2003, 5:02 PM
  4. Replies: 22
    Last post: 12 Aug 2003, 2:11 PM