Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Bill Cosby

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Bill Cosby

Yet another woman is coming forward claiming that Bill Cosby attacked her too. Personally I question the full truth behind all of these claims but I do question if Bill Cosby's career will ever recover.

What are your thoughts? Will Bill be able to beat these charges? Even if he does, do you think his career will ever be the same.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I dunno. For the past decade or so when I see Bill Cosby on TV there is something off-putting about him. He seems ill-tempered and arrogant. He does interviews but doesn't like to answer questions. He seems annoyed when interviewed. Maybe the death of his son really hit him harder than we realize. Mark Twain also became bitter in his later years, after the loss of his beloved wife and a daughter. I saw George Carlin in concert a few years before his death and he was alternatingly funny and just unpalatably bitter. It happens.

I don't think these allegations are groundless. I suspect there were some incidences. I am sure not all of them are true. I do not give any credence to anything Janice Dickinson says about her encounter with Bill Cosby. I find her off-putting as well.

I heard on the news this morning, where one of his accusers said Bill Cosby gave her two white pills and said take these. And she did and says she was raped. If you are not sick and a man in a hotel room tells you to take pills, do you really think there is going to be a good outcome if you take them?

Could his career rebound? Given that Woody Allen's career rebounded and so did Roman Polanski's, I would say yes. However, Bill Cosby is 77 years old. He may not just have enough time left to rebuild his career.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    Could his career rebound? Given that Woody Allen's career rebounded and so did Roman Polanski's, I would say yes. However, Bill Cosby is 77 years old. He may not just have enough time left to rebuild his career.
    What, Leonard Part 7 not good enough for you?
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Why does it so often seem that these celebrity scandal things are off the radar for years and then all of a sudden legions of people come out of the woodwork to pile on after a high profile allegation is made?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Why does it so often seem that these celebrity scandal things are off the radar for years and then all of a sudden legions of people come out of the woodwork to pile on after a high profile allegation is made?
    Reminds me of the Tiger Woods scandal. Here he is married to a super hot model who is rich, and she goes all postal on this truck with a golf club because she finds out that he cheated on her... Then we learn that it was not one woman but an entire sorority.

It would not suprise me if there is truth to the allegations that Cosby slept with these women, but I question if he attacked them.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I'm just confused when I hear things like this. I'm sure there is some truth to the allegations, they don't just get made up at random, but why wait so long. Ladies, if you get attacked, call the police ASAP or the next day, at least the same month and not 20 years later (or however long it's been). I'm sure one or two are just crazy people trying to get media attention. I did like the one lady who was "drugged" and attacked, but then kept in touch with him. Why, he was such a great guy, was he that good in bed? He attacked you, it was traumatic, but you kept in touch? WTF?

After a few years, the Cosby show will continue its reruns people will forget and he won't have drama at stand up shows, but his career is near an end anyway. We'll just remember him as that brilliant comic who liked the ladies.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I don't believe all of the accusers because some of their stories simply don't add up (Janice Dickinson being one of them); plus I get a little skeptical as pile-ons occur with any scandal. But I have found Cosby a bit creepy in the past and his early stand-up work stank of misogyny. I do believe at least some of the accusations are accurate, in part because I believe celebrities & the wealthy operate under a different criminal justice system than the rest of us and that Cosby was able to avoid any real investigations/justice. I think that is becoming less likely today, and it can be credited toward social media.

Plus Cosby had a lot of "holier than thou" in him, especially toward Richard Pryor. When I see that kind of attitude, I pretty much assume the person is hiding something.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Meh...
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    It was the 60s & 70s. That kinda of stuff happened all the time. Ever heard of the "casting couch" for young models wanting to become actresses? Was it right NO. Did it happen YES.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    Comedians who land roles in family sitcoms always end up having that follow them forever. Look at Bob Saget, one of the raunchiest ones out there, yet there he is playing Danny Tanner the Ultimate Family Man. Even Tim Allen's comedy could get a little adult oriented (and he built Home Improvement out of it). Just because you played a family man on TV certainly doesn't mean you are in real life...these are actors. None of this surprises me.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    Comedians who land roles in family sitcoms always end up having that follow them forever. Look at Bob Saget, one of the raunchiest ones out there, yet there he is playing Danny Tanner the Ultimate Family Man. Even Tim Allen's comedy could get a little adult oriented (and he built Home Improvement out of it). Just because you played a family man on TV certainly doesn't mean you are in real life...these are actors. None of this surprises me.
    Well, one difference between the Cos and all the other actor-comedians is that he was famous for criticizing/calling out some of his colleagues (e.g. Richard Prior) for their use of non-family friendly language. Hence the ring of hypocrisy.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    I think Cosby stood out from other sitcom comedians (or just plain comedians) in that he really positioned himself as a spokeperson for a number of social issues – showing black families as well adjusted and successful, attempting to address the situation of young black men in society (“pull your pants up!”) and as an icon of a well-adjusted American dad (he even wrote a book called “Fatherhood.”) These were positions he chose to take and therein lies the disappointment for me.

Bill Cosby has been something of a hero to me. I grew up in Philly (where he is from) and went to school with Ennis, the son that was murdered. My brother is named Russell and so was his, so when I listened to those records as a kid, I really felt like I identified with him (one great storyline is “Russell my Brother Whom I Slept with” about two brothers who can’t get to sleep and incur the wrath of their father). I admired that he broke new ground with his role in I Spy and I even went and saw him perform about 12 years ago.

So, all this recent news comes as a real letdown. Its not even that I am surprised that someone heralded so widely would have demons – I’m not naïve. But the nature of these assertions so clearly contradicts what he has consciously presented about himself (trusting, loving father) that its really disappointing. Its one thing to lose Robin Williams to depression but quite another to learn that your hero abused the trust of young women (and abused them, period). I can’t say that all the accusations are true, but having read the many assertions, I do believe he really did these things to at least some of them. Shameful.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I feel similarly as you Wahday, the accounts of what happened are so polar opposite to his father-figure persona, it's sad. I haven't read all of the accounts but the ones that I did read, I tend to believe. I could imagine myself in that situation back then and feeling like going to the police or a lawyer would 1) jeopardize my career and 2) be pointless because who would believe a nobody versus the famous Bill Cosby. I also feel badly for his wife and children, I imagine that all this makes them question a lot of things they thought they knew about him.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The pile-on grows to epic proportions. Folks, they're closing applications to join the media frenzy by Friday so hurry up and file suit while there are still available slots.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/p...tion/20205051/

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Bill Cosby's honorary chief status revoked amid controversy
    http://www.navytimes.com/story/milit...oked/19897577/

"The Navy is taking this action because allegations against Mr. Cosby are very serious and are in conflict with the Navy's core values of honor, courage and commitment,"
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Bill Cosby's honorary chief status revoked amid controversy
    http://www.navytimes.com/story/milit...oked/19897577/

IN related news, I heard Chris Brown unfriended him. Sorry, couldn't resist.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    It was the 60s & 70s. That kinda of stuff happened all the time. Ever heard of the "casting couch" for young models wanting to become actresses? Was it right NO. Did it happen YES.
    I have very mixed feelings about this. I remember BC when he was popular. Some of his comedy albums and routines are hilarious. His Noah riff makes me laugh to this day. I agree with you on all points about the casting couches. I bet that continues to this day. I also agree with that his seems to have become increasingly bitter the past couple of years. If he did some of what is alleged, then he is wrong and deserves the public flogging he's getting. However, I also agree with some of the allegations being more than a bit opportunistic.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    I have very mixed feelings about this. I remember BC when he was popular. Some of his comedy albums and routines are hilarious. His Noah riff makes me laugh to this day. I agree with you on all points about the casting couches. I bet that continues to this day. I also agree with that his seems to have become increasingly bitter the past couple of years. If he did some of what is alleged, then he is wrong and deserves the public flogging he's getting. However, I also agree with some of the allegations being more than a bit opportunistic.
    I would be surprised if it didn't happen today. I think the part that is so upsetting for society is he was such a father figure on TV with the Cosby Show.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Bill Nye Vs. Ken Ham Debate
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 140
    Last post: 07 Feb 2014, 11:01 AM
  2. Senate Bill 375 in California
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 18 Jun 2010, 3:06 PM
  3. Cosby in the (political) news
    Friday Afternoon Club