Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The quintessential meal circa 1972

Registered
    Feb 2004

The quintessential meal circa 1972

I wonder what the quintessential 'meal from 1972' would be? Remember, this is before the 'health food' kick that began a few years later (remember wheat germ, anyone?)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I wonder what the quintessential 'meal from 1972' would be? Remember, this is before the 'health food' kick that began a few years later (remember wheat germ, anyone?)
    sloppy joes?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    sloppy joes?
    with tater tots and Campbell's pork & beans?

Edit: oh, and the sloppy joes shouldn't be served on proper hamburger buns, it needs to be on bread. White bread to be specific. Preferably a brand like Butternut or Wonder Bread
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003

Need I say more?
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Don't forget to bring the jello mold if you're going to someone's house!
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    Don't forget to bring the jello mold if you're going to someone's house!
    My parents used to have fancy copper Jell-O molds hanging on the kitchen walls as decorations.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Dec 2008

I just seem to have slightly weird stuff going on today. Maybe I need on of those pills Ursus had.
    Kroger brand, uber effective. Plus, as a side benefit, when the effect wore off I think they gave me erotic dreams ------ so there's that.

I also must state that the quintessential 70s dinner is a casserole of some sort. It has to be.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    I also must state that the quintessential 70s dinner is a casserole of some sort. It has to be.
    I seem to remember a layered beef enchilada casserole.

Another staple was the Swanson TV Dinner.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Fish sticks, tater tots and canned lima beans.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    Fish sticks, tater tots and canned lima beans.
    It sounds like your mother might have been a lunch lady.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    It sounds like your mother might have been a lunch lady.
    Nope. She came up with that on her own. I've never liked tater tots, and I remember loving fish sticks. So.... when I was first married, I bought and baked some for dinner. I don't know what I was thinking. They were awful.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    As I recall, one of our staples was SOS What, no thread split? Finally, people didn't eat out a lot back then.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    As I recall, one of our staples was SOS What, no thread split? Finally, people didn't eat out a lot back then.
    That was a staple at my mom's table. My dad loved it. Blech.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    What, no thread split?
    Moderator note:
    Split from RTDNTOTO....razz'n frazz'n makin' work for me...

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    oops - meant to put that here - 1972 McDonald's menu posted on the facebook page for my hometown's nostalgia page

Click image for larger version

Name:	1972 McDonalds.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	5368

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    oops - meant to put that here - 1972 McDonald's menu posted on the facebook page for my hometown's nostalgia page

Attachment 5368
    I forgot they used to have like four things on the menu! Those were simpler times.

people didn't eat out a lot back then.
    It seemed like eating at a restaurant was more of an event. More in keeping with a birthday celebration or an actual event. Not something you'd do just cuz it's Thursday and you don't have anything in the fridge for dinner.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I was born in 1971. I remember the first time we had carry-out pizza. Little Caesar's in those stupid paper-covered boxes, and the pizzas were square. Before that, pizza was either homemade or frozen from some places or a really big deal like a birthday or something and you were at Pizza Hut or a nice Pizzeria. Nice. Ha. You know what I mean.

Registered
    Jun 2004

It seemed like eating at a restaurant was more of an event. More in keeping with a birthday celebration or an actual event. Not something you'd do just cuz it's Thursday and you don't have anything in the fridge for dinner.
    That is true, plus, depending where you were at, there weren't that many chain/fast food restaurants. We didn't get our first McDonald's until the mid 70's. I do remember going to fish houses and fancy restaurants. Did any of y'all have pubs that had family rooms. We had several of those and the food was pretty good. Maister is right. Going to a restaurant was a big deal and saved for vacations and special events.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    It seems to me that much of what has been posted (Spam, Jello molds, etc.) is more representative of the 50s and early 60s that the 70s. I suspect most of you weren't there in 1972. In 1972 I was in college, so my meals were Kraft mac&cheese and Swanson's chicken pot pies. I could buy either for 25 cents. At home the typical meal was roast beef (usually a chuck roast), potatoes (usually boiled), maybe frozen green beans, and a wedge of iceberg lettuce with mayo for dressing. Ice cream for dessert.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Mom made us a tuna casserole one time. It was only one time. It was not eaten by humans. The dog had fish breath for a couple days.

She would find these types of recipes and HAD to try them and thought we HAD to try and eat them. Bless her heart,
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Mom made us a tuna casserole one time. It was only one time. It was not eaten by humans. The dog had fish breath for a couple days.

She would find these types of recipes and HAD to try them and thought we HAD to try and eat them. Bless her heart,
    Ugh! The number of mom recipes where she found it in a magazine or something and just had to try it! Always seemed to be some nasty kind of casserole. Maybe I was lucky. Mom is German so she cooked things like schnitzel and we had the usual steak and breakfast for supper and everything else. The one thing I truly hated, but my dad loved was liver and onions. I was also lucky growing up on air bases that we would go to the O club maybe once a month for their Mongolian BBQ night (yes I was doing cool stuff like that before it was cool).
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post

My wife makes tuna casserole every other week or so. We love it! She actually makes a lot of casseroles. We probably have some sort of casserole at least twice a week.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Ugh! The number of mom recipes where she found it in a magazine or something and just had to try it! Always seemed to be some nasty kind of casserole. Maybe I was lucky. Mom is German so she cooked things like schnitzel and we had the usual steak and breakfast for supper and everything else. The one thing I truly hated, but my dad loved was liver and onions. I was also lucky growing up on air bases that we would go to the O club maybe once a month for their Mongolian BBQ night (yes I was doing cool stuff like that before it was cool).
    I came to hate the Betty Crocker cookbook. Did any of y'all's moms experiment with Tex-Mex? We had a Mexican casserole that was hot enough to cook itself. I agree with Otis about some of y'all posting stuff we never had i.e., spam, jello molds, etc. What we did did have was a lot of home made German/American food i.e. sauerkraught with weiners. Given my ethic background and where I grew up, that wasn't surprising.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    My wife makes tuna casserole every other week or so. We love it! She actually makes a lot of casseroles. We probably have some sort of casserole at least twice a week.
    We do casseroles plenty still, too. Taste of Home magazine? Is that the common denominator?

And spam and jello in the 70s, YES - at least where I'm from but that could be a Mormon thing, too. We do tend to lag behind the times. Don't know if ya heard.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    We do casseroles plenty still, too. Taste of Home magazine? Is that the common denominator?

And spam and jello in the 70s, YES - at least where I'm from but that could be a Mormon thing, too. We do tend to lag behind the times. Don't know if ya heard.
    Yep. I love the stuff out of Taste of Home!

You may be on to something with Jell-O and Mormons. Or maybe it's just Jell-O and groups of people who have large communal church meals in general. I once read a stat that even up until a few years ago the Grand Rapids, MI metro area had the highest rate of consumption of Jell-O, per capita, in the nation. The company attributed it to all the church dinners and Jell-O being used in so many types of desserts.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 35
    Last post: 09 Apr 2013, 10:16 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 19 Dec 2007, 2:21 PM
  3. Planning circa 1900s
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 03 Apr 2007, 11:41 AM
  4. France Circa 1920