6 28.57%
  • I'm Sybil

2 9.52%
  • Meh

3 14.29%
  • something far more sinister

1 4.76%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: the work-you and home-you and have you changed?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

the work-you and home-you and have you changed?

At a recent meeting, one of my committee members, who I have somewhat friended, she's pretty cool, said to me that most people she meets in my job are extroverted and she sees me as more introverted

I was taken aback and still have not recovered from her words - I have been called many things in my life but introverted hasn't been on the list

I do know that my personal friends see me as extroverted and are shocked to see me being all serious at a meeting so I know I have a work-me and a home-me, but my introversion is more from, hate to say it, being beaten down and sometimes I am afraid to come out on things too often and hang back a bit to survey the situation - so I am more cautious maybe, to say it nicely and I do tend to work behind the scenes

anyway - wait for the poll and explain yourselves...

Registered
    Jan 2009
    How dare someone call you the I word!!!

I tend to be borderline between introvert and extrovert. At work I'm more extrovert because the job requires it. I talk to everyone. If I'm comfortable with the group I'm with at a bar or something I'm more extroverted and have no problem saying hello and striking up a conversation. On my own I tend to be more introverted. I don't want to be bothered with talking with people unless I feel like it. If my wife is around I come off as very introverted, but that's because she takes over conversations. I don't need to talk because she does it for me. By the time I say hello she's already asked how are you, how are the kids, how's the weather, etc. I just stand by and listen. So I change depending on my mood. Meh.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    May 2002
    I'm very outgoing, especially now that I'm in real estate. In fact, when I'm not being told to cheer up, I'm being told to calm down.

/meds help
    What do you mean I can't plan? My SimCity has 200,000 people with a 99% happiness rating!

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Solidly "ambivert". I'm pretty extroverted at work just because I sort of have to be. I can almost be too goofy at times. I try to keep it light here.

At home...I'm comfortable on a Friday night drinking a few beers and watching a movie or playing some video game by myself. I've lived alone for getting on 4 years now and really have no problem with it. I sort of dread going out with people because it's just a lot of hassle.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Extrovert at work. A mixture of extrovert and introvert outside the office, depending on the circumstances.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Extrovert at work, introvert outside of work.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Extrovert everywhere. Although I will admit my insanely introverted wife has mellowed me down.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'm a straightforward introvert. I can act extroverted in various situations but unless I'm in a position where I'm socializing with a small group of people I know well, it's just that....acting. I never feel comfortable when I'm aware that I'm in the limelight in front of a group of strangers or even acquaintances.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    None of the above. I like to break the ice and interact with people to get them talking and to learn more about them.

During a job interview, I was once asked if I was at a party, would I be the guy sipping a lemonade in the corner or would I be the guy dancing on the coffee table with a lampshade on my head. I explained that I would be the guy who was friends with both of those people who would be refilling my solo cup and talking to others at the party.

For many years, I would get up early on black friday, drive to the mall, get a cup of coffee, and sit and watch the chaos and try to figure people out. I would often not strike up a conversation, but I would see how people would interact with each other. I do something similar today when I am in a new situation. I would often break the ice and start a conversation, but really try to figure people out.
    "The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism." - George Washington

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Extrovert everywhere. Although I will admit my insanely introverted wife has mellowed me down.
    hinky & dvd are no extroverts and neither am I that was proven in phoenix
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Introvert at work (no one wants to hear my opinions); extrovert at home (I don't care if they don't want to hear my opinions).
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    hinky & dvd are no extroverts and neither am I that was proven in phoenix
    As long as I like the crowd, Plaint excepted , I tend to be pretty out going.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    As long as I like the crowd, Plaint excepted , I tend to be pretty out going.
    Doesn't alcohol help? I mean who doesn't like people when they are drinking?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Yes I can tolerate you a lot more after I've been drinking. You seem to get better looking too.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Introvert everywhere - please avert your eyes.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    That is a bit like asking if air makes it easier to breathe.
    "The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism." - George Washington

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    I fall into the "extroverted introvert" category. I'm great with people and can force myself to be outgoing and friendly to the point that most people think I'm an extrovert. But then I go home, put on my pajamas, and fall asleep on the couch at 8:30. Conferences are the worst for me. Meeting other professionals is nice and all... but constantly making small talk wears me out faster than any physical activity I can imagine.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I guess I'm an ambivert. I feel like I'm a recovering introvert. I was a lot more introverted as a kid, but have become more outgoing as an adult. College helped out tremendously. I'm not one to strike up a conversation with strangers everywhere I go and I'm not super talkative, but I will gladly join and participate in a conversation that others start and am becoming better at mingling and whatnot. I also have key subjects and interests that I will talk at great lengths about, but I'm not one to engage in endless small talk and go on and on about nothing. I will also say that a couple drinks goes a long way in helping me open up. I remember recently participating in a parade with my company and feeling very socially awkward in the hour before the party and not knowing what to say to people, but felt much more comfortable mingling with everyone at the Christmas party with a drink in my hand a couple days later. For what it's worth, I'm typically one of the last to leave at work social events (this is basically a continuation of my college habits). The last two to three hours of more meaningful conversations and roaring laughter among 4-15 people are much better IMHO than the small talk with 100 people that constitutes the first couple hours.

Unlike true introverts, I don't like just sitting at home and looking out the window and being socially withdrawn. I like to have a full social calendar and something going on as many nights as possible. But I don't need to meet 500 people every week like a true extrovert. I'd rather just see my friends and family and co-workers all the time and just be "around people", out in social settings like bars, restaurants, movie theaters, etc. I also enjoy the one-on-one of dating.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    Extrovert at work. A mixture of extrovert and introvert outside the office, depending on the circumstances.
    This. I had to be "on" Saturday for a community clean-up event and organizing 125 volunteers, etc. by Sunday I didn't want to see or talk to anyone. I just felt drained. But any normal weekend and I'm okay.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Extrovert at work and playing gigs. Extrovert with my wife. Introvert all other times.

I have learned to be more social since moving here. Most of the time I'm kind of a mix. I don't mind crowds as long as I'm with family or a group of friends. I'm the same way at social events. I'm not the one shaking hands, making chit-chat and that sort of thing. I'm the one by myself or with my friends. I do a decent job at giving presentations or when I've prepared for something. I'm not real spontaneous. I also need some down time at home just chilling out on the computer, watching tv or reading. I don't know what category that puts me into.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jun 2005
    My husband and I talk about this sort of topic often in a round about way.

I can be mostly extroverted at work, however I do notice that often in meetings I can be introverted and not back myself or communicate how I would normally would.

I would say out of work I am a mix of introvert and extrovert, for me I believe its a confidence and politeness thing. I wish I was a little more extroverted
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Work, Home, Family....
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 102
    Last post: 07 Oct 2015, 5:19 PM
  2. Replies: 27
    Last post: 11 Mar 2011, 12:17 PM