Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Decorations on front of houses

Registered
    Feb 2004

Decorations on front of houses

When I was a kid a popular thing was to have one's last initial displayed on the screen door. I still see a variant on this nowadays where people display their last initial on the house itself.

I see a few stars on the fronts of houses, but I'll bet the Lone Star state makes us look like pikers

Various 'welcome' signs of ethnic origins can be seen on houses locally.

So what are some popular (or uncommon) house decorations seen in your neck of the woods? Anyone have anything decorative on their house? We have decorative flags that we change out every month or so.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2007
    There is a house in our neighborhood that has a series of Pillsbury Doughboy decorative flags that they change every 6 or 8 weeks. Right now, the current flag is the Doughboy laying in a beach chair sunning himself.

We keep up a Marine Corps flag most of the year and then my wife likes to hang out a decorative block M Michigan flag in the fall on game days. We also have a wreath above our mailbox in the fall and winter and then in the spring and summer my wife usually puts out some other small decorative flowers or something that says, "Welcome" or whatever.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jan 2009
    It's mostly KU or K-State flags or flower decorations on the mail box. I've seen a couple of the stars and the initials. My favorite is this one:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.7899...7i13312!8i6656
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    We keep a small American flag and a small UGA flag out in front of Chez Bubba.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Put this up the last week of July.

Click image for larger version

Name:	front door.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	5671

Growing up we had the Willkommen circle above the garage door. We called them Amish hex signs. On the inside, we had a house blessing on the mantle or side of the door that people came in and out of.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I can't forget the ever popular limestone blocks with something carved on them like your name, college, etc.

I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post

I see a few stars on the fronts of houses, but I'll bet the Lone Star state makes us look like pikers
    You have no idea.

My front door has beveled glass "Texas Star" inlays and I honestly hate "Texas themed" decor.

What's really common around here is Mexican metal yard art, which I love.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    All we have a slightly faded USA flag hanging off the porch.

I need to replace it next year.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    As far as my exterior house decor in the front, the coolest thing I have is a plasma cut flag holder on the porch post that a friend of mine made in the shape of my collegiate mascot. I have a flag in it 90% of the time. I collect national flags of the places I've been, and will periodically switch them out for a major holiday in that country.

I also have about a 3' metal chicken in the front bed.

I've got a bunch of stuff hanging on the back porch--mostly Mexican terracotta art and some metal welded stuff a friend did.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Dude, you have a Beyoncé in your yard?

We have a flower basket on the door, but otherwise we are fairly simple and keep to a flag. Hockey season gets the Dallas Stars flag, otherwise we go between US and Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    As far as my exterior house decor in the front, the coolest thing I have is a plasma cut flag holder on the porch post that a friend of mine made in the shape of my collegiate mascot. I have a flag in it 90% of the time. I collect national flags of the places I've been, and will periodically switch them out for a major holiday in that country.
    You realize a Bavarian flag in September is mandatory (you know, Oktoberfest)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I fly Old Glory on holidays, 'cuz I love Murica; but mostly because it looks good in front of my Colonial Revival.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    One of the absurdities of the Gilbert case is that content neutrality might mean the flag of a pineapple is considered a "sign."

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Not much. Nobody has a front yard in my neighborhood. My neighbors across the street keep their Christmas decorations up all year long.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    There's a large metal star on our house that was left by the previous owners. Mrs. P decided it could stay. There's a post flag holder, but I haven't decided what to fly. At one point I thought about hanging the Welsh flag just to hear some neighborhood reactions, but I've held off.

kjel - when you see those neighbors across the street, you should start whistling or singing Christmas songs.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop View post
    One of the absurdities of the Gilbert case is that content neutrality might mean the flag of a pineapple is considered a "sign."
    We included flags when we updated our regulations. We put a maximum size on how big individual flags could be, but there's no limit of the number of flags. You can have as many pineapple flags in your yard as your heart desires in our fare county!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Car decals & decorations
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 14 Jul 2015, 9:26 AM
  2. Taking down the decorations
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 24 Apr 2013, 10:30 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 01 Sep 2008, 9:50 AM