Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Things Thursday

Registered
    Aug 2005

Ten Things Thursday

I saw this on another message board I frequent and thought I'd try it here. Just post 10 random things about you.

1. I'm on day 11 of Phase 1 of SB only it is really day 3 since I had a minor surgical procedure on Monday and required honey mustard boneless chicken wings as part of my recovery.

2. I should be doing work but am instead thinking of identifying half-marathons in exotic locales to include on my bucket list.

3. I'm trying to organize a Beer Run (6 miles, 6 bars, 6 beers) in my city as a fundraiser for the local children's museum. Those don't clash, right?

4. My right pinky-toe hurts.

5. I participated in a press conference at work today and all I could think about was how I wish it had been scheduled for tomorrow since I am getting my hair did tonight.

6. Yesterday I began training for that running relay race. My training consisted of walking 1.5 miles. I have looong way to go.

7. I really want a cracker.

8. I am addicted to peanut butter.

9. I wish there was some cute boy from my days in HS or college who was still pining for me.

10. I don't think this thread will be very popular.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    # 4 - ill fitted shoe/sandals or stumb it ?
    # 8 does go with # 7.
    # 9 - Would some Cyburbian dare say they did ?
    # 10 At least you you got on response.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    # 4 - ill fitted shoe/sandals or stumb it ?
    # 8 does go with # 7.
    # 9 - Will some Cyburbian say they did ?
    # 10 At least you you got on response.
    #4 - I think it is the shoes. I switched to flip-flops but the little piggy is still sore.
    #9 - I'm thinking ex-bf pining. It doesn't really matter and is just me wanting a better resolution to some relationships but I want them to be sorry for dumping me. Seeing that I'm such a catch now.
    #10 - Thanks!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    1) I like to eat beef sticks and drink coffee when I travel at night, but need about 10 mints before I need to interact with anyone.
    2) I have an obsession where I can only sign my name with a blue pen.
    3) I am on day 23 of the second round of the Mental Fitness Challenge. (It’s like P90X for the brain)
    4) I am addicted to a Franklin/Covey style planer that I have on my iPad
    5) Tomorrow I am going to take my kids to a local botanical garden since I don’t work on Fridays.
    6) Lunch today was a subway sandwich that was a cross between the spicy Italian and a Philly Steak. (It is so good).
    7) What I was going to put for number 7 will instead become a new thread… a challenge thread!
    8) I am allergic to way too many things…
    9) Oftentimes I want to live a minimalist lifestyle, but enjoy stuff too much.
    10) I enjoy office supply stores as much as sporting goods stores.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2004
    #10 I tend to view almost everything from multiple points of view: depending on the situation, this is both a serious drawback and advantage
    #9 The only red car I ever owned was a Mazda RX-7
    #8 I am thoroughly convinced dandy is dead wrong in her conviction that this will not be a popular thread
    #7 I don't like eating bananas or plums
    #6 I am considering entirely giving up beer for a while
    #5 I like to think of myself as being fairly open-minded but admit I get uncomfortable for some reason when talking to trans-gendered people
    #4 Whenever I attend conferences my thoughts habitually gravitate towards 'when is this going to be over'?
    #3 I experience synesthesia
    #2 I would be a better gardener if I didn't suffer from depression
    #1 My favorite saying is "it is better to say nothing and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt". Sadly, I don't always follow this piece of advice
    Last edited by Maister; 23 Aug 2012 at 2:49 PM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2006
    1. I
    2. can't
    3. seem
    4. to
    5. concentrate
    6. on
    7. any
    8. task
    9. to
    10. day
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    #8 I am thoroughly convinced dandy is deady wrong in her conviction that this will not be a popular thread
    Oooh, unintended benefit from this thread is possible thread topics or an opportunity for thread splits. Maister, if this generates more than 5 new threads you owe me a beer.

mskis, already started one with his 100 list thread.

*crosses fingers*

1 down, 4 to go. C'mon beer!

Registered
    Aug 2002
    1. I am having way too much fun scanning and posting photographs I took with my Canon AE1 camera (during the pre-digital age) on Flickr.

2. I wish I had the money to buy a good digital SLR camera to replace my old AE1 because I miss photography.

3. It's a good thing I have a lot of hobbies to keep me busy since work is obviously not.

4. ... But it's probably not healthy that many of these hobbies involve being inside and on the computer.

5. The peaches and melons from our local farms have been really sweet and juicy, and I must buy more.

6. I miss having a well-stocked wine fridge.

7. There are only a handful of people with whom I enjoy talking on the phone, and one of them is a business associate.

8. I can't believe my sister hasn't visited our new house yet.

9. I need to come up with a way to celebrate my husband's birthday that doesn't involve spending much money.

10. I think I share way too much about myself online.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    1. I am on Week 5 of Weight Watchers. It's working. 11 pounds down and having good impact on my fasting blood sugars.
    2. I like coming to work everyday.
    3. My right leg is longer than my left leg by 2 inches.
    4. Flip flops are my shoes of choice. My favorite ones just bit the dust, I will order an exact replacement tomorrow.
    5. I hate shopping in stores/malls. Online is wonderful. I never buy anything full price.
    6. I wish my partner would be happy being a stay at home dad for a long time.
    7. I am a control freak.
    8. The best thing about having a teenager with a license that works in your office is that they can go get your lunch for you.
    9. I am picky about pens. I only order Blue G2 .07 pens at the office. Nobody is allowed to touch them.
    10. dandy is awesome.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    1. Like Mud Princess, I wish I could buy an SLR digital camera. I miss photography, but enjoy my Canon A2200.

2. Like kjel, I like going to work.

3. I inspected my way home, and changed from field clothes to a sundress which I'll wear as I write reports at my house.

4. I had a really good day at work; it's been a really good week.

5. My dining room is a mess.

6. When I see a car or truck with a business name on it, I make sure to read which business is advertised on the door.

7. I never get tired of seeing the Pittsburgh skyline as I exit the Fort Pitt Tunnels.

8. I try to walk for 2 miles or for 1 hour each evening.

9. I'd love to ride on the back of a motorcycle.

10. I'm invited to a wine tasting Sunday, and wish I could find someone to go with me.

Registered
    May 2004
    1. I'm so full my tummy hurts
    2. I could eat burritos every meal of every single day and not get tired of them
    3. I've never eated a pigeon.
    4. I had a meeting earlier where one participant kept staring at me and mouthing the word "F*%@ U"
    5. I just got called for jury duty
    6. I've got a funky beat in the back of mind driving me through the day. boom ba ba boop boop ya!
    7. I forgot to clean my cat's litterbox this morning
    8. Trying to decide to go see a show tonight or not
    9. I think I might be starting to develop a headache, and.
    10. I'm out of aspirin!
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    1. I don't like my job, but generally like the people I work with.
    2. My drive to work in the morning is fun.
    3. I'm lucky to have a great wife and smart kid.
    4. I'm a beer snob, I admit it proudly.
    5. My knees are shot and I can't play soccer anymore so now I golf.
    6. My workshop is a mess and need to clean it out.
    7. I don't like raw tomatoes.
    8. Pepperoni pizza is the best.
    9. I enjoy travel and don't get to do it often enough.
    10. I'm really tired of all the politcial crap going on - federal, local, everywhere.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    2. I could eat burritos every meal of every single day and not get tired of them
    4. I had a meeting earlier where one participant kept staring at me and mouthing the word "F*%@ U"
    6. I've got a funky beat in the back of mind driving me through the day. boom ba ba boop boop ya!
    10. I'm out of aspirin!
    lol. Seriously.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Oooh, unintended benefit from this thread is possible thread topics or an opportunity for thread splits. Maister, if this generates more than 5 new threads you owe me a beer.

mskis, already started one with his 100 list thread.

*crosses fingers*

1 down, 4 to go. C'mon beer!
    Heck.... I might just start 4 more based on other people's randoms just to make Maister buy you a beer!
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    10. I'm out of aspirin!
    lol. Seriously.
    I was that person today. At least I was on the phone though
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Dec 2008
    1. I haven't taken my ADD meds in a good two years.

2. I think it has taken a toll on my personal and professional life.

3. I know I look like Chris Farley, but I need the deli guy to understand that I don't want to discuss it every single time I need baby swiss.

4. You know that guy who eats lunch in his car listening to the radio? I'm that guy.

5. I would move my family to Santa Monica if it were possible. We were happy there.

6. My toenails are painted pink right now, courtesy of my youngest daughter.

7. I want to get back in shape, but apparently not enough to involve any effort on my part.

8. I am sometimes concerned that I may actually be just a little bit...lazy.

9. I was 32 before I truly understood that I was not the smartest guy that ever lived. Now I'm concerned because I'm pretty sure I'm not even in the top 4 billion.

10. I am really wishing I would hear from some people in my past today. It's been the nature of Cyburbia to wax a little nostalgic today and apparently it has seeped into my mood.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2004
    lol. Seriously.
    I think I posted a few weeks ago how someone threatened to put a hex on me. Same person. It was kind of amusing, but I actually feel sorry for the person. This was in a meeting with lots of professionals and she really embarassed herself.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    1. My favorite foods are mac n cheese, tomato soup, and watermelon.
    2. I know where every bathroom is at Disney World. Even in the hotel lobbies.
    3. Former hobbies of mine include flying sailplanes and playing drums.
    4. Well hell, I was devastated when Davy Jones died.
    5. I am terrified by plane travel.
    6. Last year when I was 54, was the first time I was called for jury duty.
    7. I had my first cavity when i was 25.
    8. I became a "cat person" in my late 20's.
    9. I am terrific at timing cooking/completion times of multiple dinner dishes (thank you training at Pizza Hut!)
    10. I am a speed reader, clocked at 1200 words per minute in 8th grade, way faster today

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    10. I am a speed reader, clocked at 1200 words per minute in 8th grade, way faster today
    How do they clock you? Do you have to read aloud?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    You've never heard of readar guns?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I think I posted a few weeks ago how someone threatened to put a hex on me. Same person. It was kind of amusing, but I actually feel sorry for the person. This was in a meeting with lots of professionals and she really embarassed herself.
    Is this voodoo queen a co-worker or a community member?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Back then, the instructor scrolled text on a screen at the front of the classroom, at gradually increasing speeds, over the course of the 6-week class. Then we had to answer written questions related to the text. To "succeed" at leach level, you had to score 95% comprehension or higher. I was the last one standing at 800 wpm but got to keep going until I missed the comprehension score at 1250.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    It is no longer Thursday, but I am still going to play!

1. I have 10 cubic yards of mulch sitting on my driveway right now
    2. My favorite color is yellow
    3. I really like polka dots
    4. Earl Grey and I get along splendidly
    5. I really want to plan a winter vacation to Alaska
    6. Summer fruit has been extra delicious this year and I may have eaten my weight in peaches this season
    7. For the first time in my life, I have been enjoying carpeting in my living room instead of hardwoods
    8. I have a delicious apple ginger beer in my hand at this very moment
    9. Though I should spend all day tomorrow moving those 10 cubic yards of mulch, it is going to be 90 outside so I think I will just go swimming instead
    10. I am considering installing 2 composting areas - one to produce actual compost and one to toss goodies to the deer that visit my yard frequently, is that wrong?
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Aug 2002

Off-topic

Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Back then, the instructor scrolled text on a screen at the front of the classroom, at gradually increasing speeds, over the course of the 6-week class. Then we had to answer written questions related to the text. To "succeed" at leach level, you had to score 95% comprehension or higher. I was the last one standing at 800 wpm but got to keep going until I missed the comprehension score at 1250.
    Yes! I knew I didn't dream this up! I had that same type of instruction when I was in 4th grade. No one else seems to remember it. I credit it for my rapid reading habits today.

Registered
    Aug 2002

BUMP

Happy Thursday! 10 random things about me:

1. I don't mind snakes; actually, I think they are pretty cool.
    2. I am taller than my older sister... though I would still be considered short.
    3. I collect vintage postcards of cities and towns.
    4. Fall would be my favorite season, except for the dread of what comes after it...
    5. There are still quite a few boxes I haven't unpacked from our last move.
    6. During the summer that the movie Jaws was first released, I went to see it five times, in theaters on opposite coasts.
    7. I can't imagine going through life without having a cat or a dog (or both).
    8. Rum and coke was not the first alcoholic beverage I ever had, but it was the first one to get me drunk. Very drunk.
    9. I got sick drinking Jack Daniel's when I was a teenager, and the smell of it still makes me gag... 30+ years later.
    10. Although I have been to four states that border Mexico, I have never been there.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 11 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Thursday Game!
    Fantasy Football
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 10 Sep 2009, 9:24 AM
  2. Thursday game reminder
    Fantasy Football
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Nov 2008, 2:38 PM
  3. Replies: 1