Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lance Armstrong: the fall of yet another legend

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    It sure is fun watching the Armstrong Cult rock back & forth down here in the Austin area over this whole issue.

I'm not mad at him for doping. I am mad at him for perpetuating the lie for 15 years, the large number of people he threw under the bus to remain in secret and his defamation lawsuits against anyone who dared speak an ill word against him in public. I am mad because he has furthered the "win at any cost" culture of athletics perhaps more than any other athlete, particularly since he was viewed as so squeeky-clean for so long.

Lance Armstrong is a self-absorbed asshole. He was an absolute dick when developing his property near Austin and amassed a number of environmental violations & fines--and that's from the notoriously weak-kneed Texas Commission on Environmental Quality. There are a lot of people, including me, that believe his secondary reason for creating LiveStrong was to service a "good guy image" that allowed him to get the public benefit of the doubt during doping accusations and allow him to get away with his bullying intimidation of team members and team support staff that knew the truth.

I view the fallout from his admission as a legal curiosity given his past success with defamation lawsuits against the press, his defamation of other cyclists & team support staff, whether past sponsors (including the USPS) seek restitution for fraud under morality clauses of contracts, etc. His admission at this point will set in motion some interesting things.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    He is doing this because his ego is so big he cannot stand that he is being outcast. My guess is that he turns over some bigger names (Nike, USPS Team leadership, Olympic Level Leadership) who knew about this. He has to go big because he is banned from doing the only thing he was ever decent at.

He should never be allowed to compete again. He should pay back the money he won from all the newspapers who said the truth. He should donate all his winnings to Livestrong. He should crawl up in a hole and disappear from the limelight.

The Oprah thing is a joke. He is doing it so he can get some PR out there. I think his cheating was pretty standard really. What makes me really dislike him is that he was such a liar about everything that he had to take everyone out around him to keep him lie going. And when the world came crumbling down around him he STILL lied about it. He still thought he was bigger than the law.

He will go down as one of the biggest disappointments in sports. Someone with tremendous talent who sold out to win and instead of being a man about it, he lied until he couldn't outrun his lie. I hope he finds that he has no supporters....

Edit: I didn't read SR comments before I posted... I concur.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2006
    So now it's being reported that there was so much to the interview that Oprah will have to spread it out over 2 nights. Who thinks that his admission to doping will come on night #1? Lance and Oprah deserve each other for being egomaniacs.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    There are a lot of people, including me, that believe his secondary reason for creating LiveStrong was to service a "good guy image" that allowed him to get the public benefit of the doubt during doping accusations and allow him to get away with his bullying intimidation of team members and team support staff that knew the truth.

I view the fallout from his admission as a legal curiosity given his past success with defamation lawsuits against the press, his defamation of other cyclists & team support staff, whether past sponsors (including the USPS) seek restitution for fraud under morality clauses of contracts, etc. His admission at this point will set in motion some interesting things.
    Not only did he need Livestrong to yellow-wash his image away from his cycling behavior, he was an asshole to the women around him as well as (ex-)friends.

I agree that the fallout and fraud will be interesting, as well as what will happen with the other dopers who are still riding, many of whom are big draws for our new big bike ride here in Colo. I was going to volunteer this year and decline a trip to speak, but may change my mind because of this fallout. We might have a shake-up equal to Europe a couple years ago.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    The truth is that everybody has been cheating at cycling. The testing agencies are evidently corrupt since Lance was able to bribe them in order to get negative results. The whole sport should be disbanded. It is 10x dirtier than MLB in terms of the PED use.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Click image for larger version

Name:	index.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	5099Somehow the promoters and sponsors and equipment manufacturers have all been scammed by the athletes. Otherwise they would willingly give back their profits to the poor consumers.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jan 2005
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 27 Aug 2012, 10:50 AM
  2. The Lance Effect
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 26 Jul 2004, 2:35 PM
  3. Zoning legend shirt
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12