Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Comp Plan scope of work

Registered
    May 2005

Comp Plan scope of work

I the planning director for a small town (9,000) outside of Washington DC. We are required to review/update our Comp plan every 10 years. I am having a hard time scaling this project since I came from a much larger City. I also have never done a Comp Plan. Any suggestions of how to start or outreach ideas, etc.

I'm working on a scope of work, which includes timeframes for public outreach (listening session, meeting to go, and public forums), public hearings, Planning Commission/Town Council work session, etc. I plan to have the Planning Commission adopt that and then move forward.

Should I do everything in-house or did you hire a consultant? what were the pros and cons? What was your budget and what did it cover?

I
    "A man is what he does in his dreams." ~Camilla Sacci

I would start with your state enabling statute to see what's required in a Comprehensive Plan and go from there.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Registered
    May 2002
    I've worked on several comp plans in Maryland. PM me and we can talk further.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I've worked on multiple Comp Plans as well in varying sized communities and as with most planning topics, my quick answers to your questions would be "it depends". If you have the staff (or don't have the budget), an update can be done in house pretty easily. For my current community's upcoming Plan, I've decided to contract out the outreach part and handle the rest from within. In other communities, the county or regional planning staff may be able to give some valuable insight. And of course, start by reading your current Plan. The where-we've-been part is pretty much already written for you (or it should be). Now just on to the where-we-want-to-be and how-to-get-there parts.
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Shortest comp plan you have seen
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 20 Apr 2012, 9:59 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Jun 2009, 10:02 AM
  3. Comp Plan Reviews
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 26 Jan 2004, 10:14 AM