Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: SFU Urban Studies

Registered
    May 2012

SFU Urban Studies

I've been trying to find some info on SFU Master and Graduate Diploma in Urban Studies. Has anyone applied here recently or maybe you are attending the school currently??

Thanxx

Hi, I'm actually applying to the m.urb program at sfu and am in the process of acquiring two more letters of reference to complete the app!

What kind of info were you wondering about?

Registered
    May 2012
    Hi christine.

I'm just wondering how the program compares to other Masters programs. I'm looking for a balance of courses and some research opportunities. I'm also wondering what a competitive CGPA is (just in case I need to raise mine). I'm also wondering if they only really accept people with a lot of previous planning related experience.

Any answers would be great.

Thanxx

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Have you read that SFSU could be losing its accreditation? Search SFGate.com

Registered
    May 2012
    I was referring to Simon Fraser University not San Francisco

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally posted by mels View post
    Hi christine.

I'm just wondering how the program compares to other Masters programs. I'm looking for a balance of courses and some research opportunities. I'm also wondering what a competitive CGPA is (just in case I need to raise mine). I'm also wondering if they only really accept people with a lot of previous planning related experience.

Any answers would be great.

Thanxx
    It is not accredited by CIP; therefore, it will take double the amount of time to gain your RPP designation in Canada. Aside from this point, the program is not geared towards the planning profession, rather, it is focused more on general urban issues. For this program, a B+ average may get you in. Many of the applicants are currently working in the field and use this experience to supplement a lower GPA in some cases.

If you are looking for a CIP-designated program, consider SFU's REM program or UBC's SCARP program. REM is focused more on environmental planning whereas SCARP tends to focus on developing countries and general planning theory.

Hi mels, sorry for the late reply.

Anywho, I was wondering if you submitted the application for the M.urb at SFU? What drew me to the program was the interdisciplinary social science emphasis. I find out in about 3 weeks, so I hope all goes well!

If you would like any information on planning programs down in southern california, I'll be happy to assist you.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 04 Jan 2013, 4:14 PM
  2. Replies: 32
    Last post: 05 Jul 2010, 2:26 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 02 Jun 2010, 8:42 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 25 Jul 2009, 11:25 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last post: 12 Aug 2005, 1:07 AM