Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: New here with some questions to ask!

Registered
    Aug 2012

New here with some questions to ask!

Hi guys I'm new here. I'm 18 years old and I'm from San Diego. I want to major in Urban Planning but I have a lot of questions. I was wondering, even if I have no experience whatsoever, is it still possible to intern somewhere that will help with my resume? Secondly, what colleges in my area offer the best programs for urban planning? And last, I would like to know how the market is like currently, and your predictions for the future. I just want to know what I'm diving into so I can be prepared when I do begin focusing in this major.

Thanks a lot!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Welcome PizzaGuy. You need to check out the Career Development and Advice Subforum. Search there and you will find answers to all your questions. Want to know more about schools? Check out the Student Subforum. There are lots of current students who are more than happy to tell you about their schools.

At 18, you should be doing research into what you would like to do. Find out why you like Urban Planning. If you really like it, then go after it. No one knows what the future job prospects are for our profession (although some will try to get you believe a poorly put together hypothesis about the doom of the profession). Take all advice with a grain of salt, and if you really love it, go for it. In 6 years when you are completely done with your schooling (assuming you get a masters..?) the job market will be completely different. Lots of baby boomers will be retired, and who knows maybe this great country of ours will respect government employees....maybe not...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2012
    alright thanks for the reply!

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 291
    Last post: 01 Aug 2011, 9:17 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 30 Jul 2010, 5:50 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 11 Aug 2006, 12:26 PM
  4. HOV questions