Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: Budding Planner from Western NY

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2012

Budding Planner from Western NY

Greetings!

I am a 23-year-old marketing and business development professional interested in becoming an urban planner. I am thinking of applying for graduate school in fall 2013 because, as I realize, cities and built-environment truly fascinate me. I don't want to make them "better", per se, but I have a strong interest in making cities and regions great places to live and work. I'm also a political animal, and I've been told I would thrive in this profession for that reason.

I should also add that I am a huge cheerleader for my home in Western New York. We have some of the nation's best infrastructure, a highly educated populace, and abundant natural beauty. We had some economic troubles, but the region as a whole (and my hometown of Rochester in particular) have begun healing, even as the rest of the world is in near-recession. We also have abundant freshwater in the Great Lakes, which I believe will serve the region very well as competition for freshwater resources heats up.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Welcome from the Great State of Ohio! Check out the Career Development and Advice Subforum and the Student Subforum and ask some questions and get involved. Glad to have you.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Hello from about 2 1/2 hours SE of your hometown!

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hello, from Dallas, TX!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 16 Aug 2010, 3:13 PM
  2. hi from western mass
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 24 Apr 2008, 6:40 PM
  3. Budding Consultant
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 26 Jan 2007, 1:02 PM