Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Childhood aeronautic concerns

Registered
    Feb 2004

Childhood aeronautic concerns

Just got off the phone with Junior a minute ago and he was in tears because the World's Best Plane broke in two! This weekend I bought him a balsa wood flyer (powered with a rubber band) You know the ones I'm talking about - the kind you probably had as a kid. https://nt8.magma.ca/technomuses.ca/..._e.asp?pid=706

He must have spent two hours playing with that silly thing yesterday. He has a fancy schmancy $55 battery-powered radio controlled airplane which he played with one time and never bothered to take it out of the box again and he's crushed...CRUSHED that his cheesy rubber band plane broke.

I guess he's a chip off the ol' block in that he favors the low tech entertainment, but I thought kids nowadays were supposed to be enamoured of everything electronic?

Anyone have a radio controlled plane as a kid (or even as a big kid)? What about rockets? How about plastic models of airplanes? And how about the good ol' rubber band planes?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Personally still fond of those big styrofoam gliders that snap so easy? My kids like those too. Also paper airplanes. For my son's "Superstar" day at first grade I folded paper airplanes for his whole class and taught them how to do it. I was a hero. Give a kid a plane, he's happy for an hour. Teach a kid how to have fun and he'll stay out of your hair all day.

PS you are such a Luddite, Maist.

Those Airhog planes can be a lot of fun, too. We have had a couple of those.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Anyone have a radio controlled plane as a kid (or even as a big kid)? What about rockets? How about plastic models of airplanes? And how about the good ol' rubber band planes?
    NO, Estes rockets engines with a M-80 , Yes, Yes

And yes to balsa wood & foam gliders

There is a family picture of me at age 4 ? just before boarding a Constellation airplane to fly from EWR to LAX.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I have one of those $50 mini radio-controlled helicopters that is small enough you can fly it around indoors. It's an AH64 Apache replica. It works quite well, too, and it's fun to see the cat's reaction to it every time I bring it out.

Never had a radio controlled airplane, but knowing me I would have crashed it within a day slamming into a neighbor's house or the ground, so probably better that way.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I always have loved those little balsa wood planes and the little styrofoam planes (and the big styrofoam ones too) and played with them a lot growing up. The kids who live kitty-corner behind our house play with those big ones and I often secretly wish one would land in my yard so I could confiscate it.

I never got into remote controlled planes or model rockets but a childhood friend of mine became a high school science teacher and takes his students down to a model rocket competition put on by NASA each year in Virginia. I never realized model rockets were such a big deal.

There is an undeveloped field across from my office where people go to fly model airplanes all day. Some of them are large enough that when I first started seeing them, and didn't realize that was a popular spot to fly model planes, I mistook them for small airplanes headed towards the local airport.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Childhood mischief
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 21 Nov 2013, 10:42 PM
  2. Childhood Epiphanies
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 10 Aug 2007, 10:19 AM
  3. Banned in childhood....
    Friday Afternoon Club